Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

name one group that sounds better today than 80s

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby wherewereuin82 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:38 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by i_like_lectric_motors[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by wherewereuin82[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by Frau_Blucher[/i]
<br>Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam were better than just Lisa Lisa.
[/quote]

The Jam were better than The Cult.
[/quote]

My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult were better than The Thrills, The Kills, and The Cult.
[/quote]

But not The Jam. I win.
wherewereuin82
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by i_like_lectric_motors[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by negative1[/i]

but i preferred yes, in the late 80's, and even 90210 was
a great sound for them.

later
[/quote]

90125 was even better.

-3 (but who's counting?)
[/quote]

yeah, the soundtrack for that show was terrible.

90215, ha.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby NightRelic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:30 am

The only one I can think of that sounds as good now is Bryan Ferry. His Olympia solo album a couple years back brought together sounds from Roxy Music albums from Country Life to Avalon, meshing them beautifully. He's definitely still the coolest musician around. And he's got Nile Rogers working with him too.
NightRelic
Running Up That Hill

Postby deevo0 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:30 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by rewind[/i]
<br>I think you can make this observation about any band or musician, not exclusively New Wave ones. While it's true many bands simply don't "have it" the way they used to, you can't discount the fact that your best memories are from certain times in your life -- you always like best the music you grew up with.

If it was at all possible to completely erase the last 30 years from your brain and be introduced to some of these bands solely with the music they are making now without the benefit of comparison, you may think some of it not too bad.
[/quote]

Agree with rewind. In fact, I can't think of ANY artist in popular music history who sounded better 30 years on, although some manage to keep making good music, but of a kind different from the early years. Partly this has to do with the rapid changes in popular music styles. You either adapt or die. If you make a record that sounds like it came out 30 years ago, it becomes either a cliche or a homage.

p.s. I remember one friend arguing that the early period of any band is usually best, and if it is around long enough to have a middle period, then the middle period is often best.
deevo0
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:45 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by deevo0[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by rewind[/i]
<br>I think you can make this observation about any band or musician, not exclusively New Wave ones. While it's true many bands simply don't "have it" the way they used to, you can't discount the fact that your best memories are from certain times in your life -- you always like best the music you grew up with.

If it was at all possible to completely erase the last 30 years from your brain and be introduced to some of these bands solely with the music they are making now without the benefit of comparison, you may think some of it not too bad.
[/quote]

Agree with rewind. In fact, I can't think of ANY artist in popular music history who sounded better 30 years on, although some manage to keep making good music, but of a kind different from the early years. Partly this has to do with the rapid changes in popular music styles. You either adapt or die. If you make a record that sounds like it came out 30 years ago, it becomes either a cliche or a homage.

p.s. I remember one friend arguing that the early period of any band is usually best, and if it is around long enough to have a middle period, then the middle period is often best.
[/quote]

not for me..

the police got better with every album.

their last 2 albums were much better than any of their early ones.

their middle period zenyatta mondatta was very good, but not their best.

they were smart to call it quits before they stagnated.

some of stings solo stuff was ok.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Berserker » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:40 pm

I think Ultravox's 2012 reunion album "Brilliant" was possibly their best. And Numan's latest "Splinter" is among his best.
Berserker
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Berserker[/i]
<br>I think Ultravox's 2012 reunion album "Brilliant" was possibly their best. And Numan's latest "Splinter" is among his best.
[/quote]

brilliant was a very good album,
but it was very derivative, and did not have
songs that stood out from the rest. their were
no strong singles or remixes.

lament was their best album to me.

for gary numan, anything past the 'car's era has not
held up for me.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby djcraig » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:59 am

Tony Hadley from Spandau sounds better than ever. I'd listen to that guy sing names from the phone book.
djcraig
Room at the Top

Postby wasproxy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:20 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by deevo0[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by rewind[/i]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Allow me to introduce you to Mr. Johnny Cash, one of the very few folks who is the exact opposite of everything mentioned. His best recording very well may have been his last, The Man Comes Around. Not new wave, I know, nor pop, but it was the very first thing I thought of contrary to the point.
wasproxy
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:41 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by f650gsd[/i]

Allow me to introduce you to Mr. Johnny Cash, one of the very few folks who is the exact opposite of everything mentioned. His best recording very well may have been his last, The Man Comes Around. Not new wave, I know, nor pop, but it was the very first thing I thought of contrary to the point.

[/quote]

i listened to him in the 70's, and he was great then.

yes, he was prolific:
=====================
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Cas ... iscography

but there's no way he got better as he went along.
he just sounded old and tired. i'm not an expert on him.

but i prefer his middle era a lot more.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby djcraig » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:28 am

As I previously pointed out here: http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34352 Johnny did, indeed go out on top. He may have been old, tired, craggy sounding and of wavering voice. But creatively and artistically, Cash went out at the top of his game.
djcraig
Room at the Top

Postby wasproxy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:16 am

Listen to the words long written down
When djcraig comes around
wasproxy
Take On Me

Previous

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions