Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Andy Partridge is THE CORRECTOR

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Andy Partridge is THE CORRECTOR

Postby Jim2 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:52 am

I'm only following two on Twitter currently, Depeche Mode and Andy Partrridge of XTC (@xtcfans). On March 17, Andy was displeased about a Facebook page about XTC. Twitter flows from the old posts at the bottom to the newest posts at the top, I've reversed them as you read down, you read the oldest first.

Was shown a Facebook page about XTC.Shouldn't have looked.Some nice things said,but also some really hurtful shit,like...
...{regarding extra content on DRUMS 5.1},"enough with the demos already,I want new music".A-Don't you want value for money? B-Does half...
...of the Warbles,MONSTRANCE,POWERS and GONWARDS not count as new music? {O,sorry,you meant it HAD to sound like Black Sea for your benefit}
Then,re their fantasy of XTC making another album."just don't let Andy co produce".Well thank you,how d'ya think all the other albums...

Since March 18, he's shot off a series of tweets (55 so far) that begin with THE CORRECTOR-. Every one of them a "did you know" about XTC and related topics. Not all of them world changing, but I'm enjoying the ride and wanted to spread the words.

March 18
* That's Colin playing rhythm guitar on VANISHING GIRL
* Dave is on bass on THEBES IN A BOX
* That's me on bass on WHAT IN THE WORLD
* I don't do a great job,but I'm drumming on PALE AND PRECIOUS
* That's our Colin playing rhythm guitar on WHAT IN THE WORLD,they were cut 'live',so he is leading the band
* Yours truly mixed LIFE IS GOOD IN THE GREENHOUSE,as poor old John Leckie got..too .....stoned
* DEAR MADAM BARNUM was written for the Russell Crowe film THE CROSSING
* Our original XTC key player Jonny Perkins was in the car smash that killed the WONDERLAND mixer Alex Sadkin,Jonny survived
* I'm playing bass on VANISHING GIRL,Colin is leading the band through the recording
* Dave wrote a song for DRUMS AND WIRES,the band didn't like it so we didn't record it,shame,as I saw him as our George
* Terry NEVER left the band because of the acoustic direction/new songs,he was given an emotional ultimatum by his the new wife
* Colin and I blend our voices together on THANKS FOR CHRISTMAS and VANISHING GIRL to blur the identity IE:both on lead together
* most of the drone in G on COMPLICATED GAME comes from Colin's electric shaver
* When Barry did his keyboard overdubs for GO2 he barred the rest of the band from the studio {Abbey Road}
* The gong sounds on GREENHOUSE {in ramp section} are actually the Abbey Road studio 3 hanging lamps,struck with Terry's mallets
* The ONLT time Terry spoke to an audience was at close of a duff gig in Canada,"we've got your money...and we're fuckin off."
* Most of the sound of the guitars on SETTLEMENT was electric guitar close mic'ed as acoustic,blended with it's electric send
* COMPLICATED GAME was written for GO2
* THE HELIUM KIDZ were asked to back Jet Harris{Shadows etc} on his 70's 'come back'
* George Martin was asked to produce XTC's SKYLARKING,but declined due to deafness.
* The only times that Terry sang backing vocals were THINGS FALL TO BITS,{GO2} ROADS GIRDLE... and ORANGE DUST {as Fat Fruit}
* I gave Davis Byrne the title for the Heads album MORE SONGS ABOUT BUILDINGS AND FOOD in a sports hall in Groningen,Holland
* I sadly,was also the one who started the rumour about David Byrne being a scatologist,he isn't,and I apologise David
* Dave recorded,during Mummer, a Homo Safari instrumental that was never used,called THEME FOR AN IMAGINARY SCI FI MOVIE

March 19
* Of course,Terry's only lead vocal was GOODNIGHT SUCKER
* Most of BIG EXPRESS is NOT Linndrum drum machine,but Pete Phipps
* Dave declined to participate in the Beefheart tribute recording of ELLA GURU
* ...and Colin does not appear on the Viz record BAGS OF FUN WITH BUSTER
* The drummers they never mention,Brian Doherty on CHERRY IN YOUR TREE and Chris Sharrock on THE GOOD THINGS
* During original mix of WONDERLAND at Air studios,George Martin is in control room advising Steve Nye on use of sub bass device
* The Dukes full name was to have been THE DUKES OF STRATOSPHEAR LAWNS
* TAKEAWAY/LURE OF SALVAGE was not a solo album,merely a dub record of XTC tracks,the band never attended
* Despite the rumours,I have never contributed comedy scripts to Armstrong and Miller,Saturday Live or Studio B15
* Thomas Dolby NEVER auditioned for XTC,he was interested but Dave was already picked in preference to another keys player
* I was not prescribed valium because of my parents divorce,they never divorced,I was put on after my mothers mental home spells
* Much is made of my 'stage fright',that was only one symptom of withdrawal,the memory loss and limb seizures were worse
* My sweety heart Erica Wexler is in no way related to record producer Jerry Wexler
* Dave did not leave the band as string arrangements were 'taken over' by me,nor was anybody given 'points' for arrangements
* WHERE DID THE ORDINARY PEOPLE GO was not an internet single,nor our last single. Merely a track released to test download sales
* Sadly I do not own a Fano guitar,only momentarily
* I didn't,and still don't,take any recreational drugs
* I was always encouraged by Terry to join him in drumming at gigs {partial 2 drummers line up},I never took him up on it sadly
* Led Zep's John Paul Jones was approached to produce NONSUCH,but was FAR TOO expensive,pity,could have been interesting
* XTC did not record under the name of The Spies
* The only reason the band didn't sign to EMI's HARVEST label was because their A+R man insulted our then managers wife

March 20
* Terry did not join later in 73,it was he and Colin that asked me to join them in 72.I said yes as bass/drum teams are rare
* We flooded London in late 76 with poster/flyers claiming "...XTC is more ANT MUSIC than human...". Hmmm,I wonder...?
* Yes,Colin WAS asked to join the touring Pink Floyd in lieu of Roger,but declined.
* Experiments WERE done with fruit scented sleeves for FALLEN FROM THE GARDEN {Mummer early title},but they smelled too bad
* In 77 I was asked to join The Pat Travers Band {Canadian rocker},which I declined
* Dave was in line to join BLONDIE,but didn't quite get his XTC resignation going in time,missed decision by a few days
* The video that seems to have gone missing is the one for HANG ON TO THE NIGHT,never been seen since made in Jan 78
* We were either going to do CITADEL or ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER for White Music,I tossed a coin and CITADEL lost
* The Woodentops were embarrassed to put my uncool name on the productions I did for them,so put me down as ANIMAL JESUS
* US record label didn't get iron age horse on SETTLEMENT sleeve,so painted their own,we left it in bin at the Manor studio

"Things went fine, up until the start of school, the world was still okay." -Nina Hagen
Jim2
Take On Me

Postby hypnohighball » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:40 am

Thanks for this - I never check Twitter or Facebook, I guess I should for all my favorite artists who seem to post there primarily now.
hypnohighball
Take On Me

Postby Jim2 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:55 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by hypnohighball[/i]
<br>Thanks for this - I never check Twitter or Facebook, I guess I should for all my favorite artists who seem to post there primarily now.
[/quote]

Your welcome. I knew there would be some interested parties.

As for signing up all your favorite artists on Twitter, prepare to be overwhelmed by announcements and daily machine gun postsings. I decided to trim it to my top two (for now) and keep my twitter account something that can be checked in a few minutes and not an hour long seek and delete fest.

"Things went fine, up until the start of school, the world was still okay." -Nina Hagen
Jim2
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions