Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

New Wave "Jumped Shark" by 1988??

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

New Wave "Jumped Shark" by 1988??

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:58 am

This is related to the current Name That Tune 4 contest. An entrant mentioned yesterday that is was odd that a "New Wave" contest had songs all the way through 1988. Heck, I even said it started to end for me by 1986. But that made me look at some awesome songs that came out well after that.

For your perusal and comment, here's a dozen samples from 1988 - songs which "New Wave" or at least 80s alternative would not have been the same without. Feel free to blurt out and name them if you care:

http://home.comcast.net/~myirwin/1988.mp3
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby ebbhead » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:22 am

The Church - Under the Milky Way
When in Rome - The Promise
Morrissey - Everyday is Like Sunday
Concrete Blonde - Joey
?
?
Marc Almond - Tears Run Rings
Smithereens - Only a Memory
? (Jimmy Sommerville?)
Information Society - What's On Your Mind
ebbhead
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:17 am

Yeah, I've thought about this a bit too in making the Name That Tune game samplers. It really depends on people's definition of New Wave, which of course can be debated ad nauseam... [;)]

As for me, my "New Wave" mp3 folder mainly has stuff from aroun
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Dave » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:23 am

Always a volatile topic, but New Wave was becoming Old Wave for me even by the mid-80's ("Burning Down the House" and Live Aid were 2 milestones that marked the beginning of the end in my mind). With a lot of bands jumping on the bandwagon, I felt most m
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:16 am

Good job Dave. The last remaining one is Show Some Emotion from Underworld while they were still basically the Freur duet, five years prior to their offical release as a trio in 1993.

Ebbhead was right about Jimmy Sommerville - To Love Someboy is the s
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:50 am

I hear ya Dave. Same story here.

I graduated college in 1985 and returned home to my lame ass rock radio stations and mullet-sporting aquaintances, whose idea of "cutting edge" music was the latest radio hit by Aerosmith or Guns'N'Roses. So began "th
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:55 am

[quote]Originally posted by myirwin
[br]Good job Dave. The last remaining one is Show Some Emotion from Underworld while they were s
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:32 am

Doh! You're right Schenko. The one after Joey is actually Underworld before they went more clubby - kinda interesting I think. The next one is A House with Call Me Blue. And Sommerville's should read "Somebody" not "Someboy" - curious slip of the tongue![
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:34 am

[br]Doh! You're right Schenko. The one after Joey is actually Underworld before they went more c
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:07 am

The "Blue-Green" version? What do you mean? Is this anything like synesthesia, the psychoactive drug-induced phenomena where your senses merge so you can hear colors and smell sounds??[8)]
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:05 am

[br]The "Blue-Green" version? What do you mean? Is this anything like synesthesia, the psychoact
schwenko
Room at the Top

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions