Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Kraftwerk - The fathers of Electronica?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Kraftwerk - The fathers of Electronica?

Postby FearOfGhosts » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:05 am

I had no idea for at least a decade after Kraftwerk released their first song in 1971 ( called KRAFTWERK I (HIGHRAIL)) that electronic music even existed in that capacity. I would really be shocked to hear of a predecessor so here is the challange. Who is the father of Electronica? I realize certain groups used keyboards, etc... That's not what I mean. I'm talking about groups that used programming, razor cutting tapes to make loops, computers, etc...

I'm very interested hearing others opinions on this topic...
FearOfGhosts
Take On Me

Postby FearOfGhosts » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:07 am

here's a Kraftwerk discog..

1971 KRAFTWERK I (HIGHRAIL)
1972 KRAFTWERK II (VAR)
1973 November RALF AND FLORIAN
1974 November AUTOBAHN
1975 February Autobahn
1975 July Kometenmelodie 1
1975 July Kometenmelodie 2
1975 October EXCELLER 8
FearOfGhosts
Take On Me

Postby rewind » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:00 am

Grandfather of Electronica - Leon Sergeivitch Termen, inventor of the Theremin.

Father of Electronica - Robert Moog, inventor of the Moog Synthesizer.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby golfer » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:44 pm

Yes , one might sat that Kraftwerk were the forerunners of Electronica, but that would be in a commercial or publicised sense. Well prior to them Karlheinz Stockhausen produced quite a pieces of music. http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/stockhausen.html is a
golfer
Personal Jesus

Postby 2Nu » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:52 pm

Excuse me folks, but I must give a nod to those electronica progenitors 'Tangerine Dream' [8D]
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:06 pm

I loved Tangerine Dream in college. Was always one of the groups I used as background music to study to and to chill out. I have a fat stack of TG vinyls from back in the day. I've recently been considering getting the better ones on CD, now that they'
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby rewind » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:40 pm

RE: Tangerine Dream
(From
http://www.obsolete.com/120_years
...great introduction to electronic music)

After the success of Walter (later Wendy) Carlos's album "Switched on Bach", entirely recorded using Moog synthesisers, Moog's instruments made
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby golfer » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:31 pm

T.D. didnt really start till 1970..but you could probably call them the originators of TRANCE.I remember when I heard the Alpha Centuri LP in '71 there was nothing like it about, then in 73/4 they blew the world a[;)]way with the single Pheadra....Yep..bi
golfer
Personal Jesus

Postby golfer » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:46 pm

Robert Moog was commisioned by I think by Universal Studios in the mid 60's to take his sound generators a step further for use in movies very much like the Theramin and the Mellotron which was created by a dude called Harry Chamberlain in the 1940s, agai
golfer
Personal Jesus

Postby golfer » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:50 pm

Rewind!!!! what a nice link youve provided [:)].Makes a fella want to dust of the old Fairlight and try it over again.!!![;)]
golfer
Personal Jesus

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions