Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

How Cutting Crew are "New Wave"?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Re: How Cutting Crew are "New Wave"?

Postby MissingPersons » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:21 am

Died In Your Arms, New Wave??? How come?

It's an AOR Power Ballad. Then with the same logic, I'll See You In My Dreams by Giant or Love Bites by Def Leppard are "New Wave".
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby MarcD » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:40 am

MissingPersons wrote:Died In Your Arms, New Wave??? How come?

It's an AOR Power Ballad. Then with the same logic, I'll See You In My Dreams by Giant or Love Bites by Def Leppard are "New Wave".

Last.fm categorizes them as New Wave and on Cuttingcrew.biz they identify *themselves* as New Wave so it's definitely a valid opinion.
MarcD
Take On Me

Postby MissingPersons » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Again I don't see any New Wave traces in their songs. New Wave has some kind of quirkiness that Cutting Crew never had.

AOR/Soft Rock/Adult Contemporary is what you would call them. They were "New Wave" either because their singer was in a New Wave band before, or because of his Vocal Style. He doesn't sound like Steve Perry, Jimi Jamison or other AOR vocalists.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby MarcD » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:47 pm

MissingPersons wrote:Again I don't see any New Wave traces in their songs. New Wave has some kind of quirkiness that Cutting Crew never had.

AOR/Soft Rock/Adult Contemporary is what you would call them. They were "New Wave" either because their singer was in a New Wave band before, or because of his Vocal Style. He doesn't sound like Steve Perry, Jimi Jamison or other AOR vocalists.

True, but don't you think that "vocal style" can be one of the things that puts a particular band into the category of New Wave?
MarcD
Take On Me

Postby MissingPersons » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:55 am

Oh by the way I'm listening to Mr. Mister now...and I see they're pretty similar when it comes to vocals, with Cutting Crew. Guess that's the reason why they were also labeled as "New Wave".

So yeah, Vocals are a strong reason to put a band into the New Wave realm. And looks as well. Why do you think Bad English were called a Glam Metal band? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... nd_artists
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby MarcD » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:14 am

MissingPersons wrote:Oh by the way I'm listening to Mr. Mister now...

Oh God... why would you ever choose to voluntarily listen to Mr. Mister?!
MarcD
Take On Me

Postby MissingPersons » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:46 am

Guess you don't like them?

They're great imo. Apart from Broken Wings and Kyrie, their album Welcome To The Real World had songs like, Uniform Of Youth, Don't Slow Down, Into My Own Hands...and of course Is It Love which was a Top 10 hit, but it was overshadowed by their two big hits.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby MarcD » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:33 pm

MissingPersons wrote:Guess you don't like them?

They're great imo. Apart from Broken Wings and Kyrie, their album Welcome To The Real World had songs like, Uniform Of Youth, Don't Slow Down, Into My Own Hands...and of course Is It Love which was a Top 10 hit, but it was overshadowed by their two big hits.

Maybe I should give them another listen. I dislike the two big hits and can't remember what I thought of their other material.
MarcD
Take On Me

Postby Forest-Fc » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:57 pm

I can actually state that Cutting Crew are NOT New Wave.
I'm personally friends with Nick Van Eede from Cutting Crew and i actually sent him the link for this discussion to see what he'd say as we both thought it was funny that Cutting Crew were being discussed at that present moment.
He told me to write on here and set the record straight and say "Cutting Crew are a ROCK band" meaning it in a nice way.
This is partly why i joined the forum so i could post on his behalf
If any of you guys out there didn't know already, Cutting Crew already has a new album out called "Add To Favourites" which was released at the end of 2015.
It's a great album, very different to the Cutting Crew sound of the 80's.
The album is a collection of songs with many influences from people like Jackson Brown, Van Morrison and many others.
Be sure to order a copy of the album, you won't be disappointed:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Add-Favourites ... B012B84QMQ
Forest-Fc
Running Up That Hill

Postby MissingPersons » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:48 am

I see. It'd be nice if Van Eede was writing here as well, so he could explain how his band was labelled as "New Wave" once.

By the way, I listened to "The Scattering" recently, and I don't know how could you classify this album. "AOR"? "Alternative Rock"? It even has some oriental music influences. Very nice effort and totally underrated. But still, "Broadcast" remains my favorite album from theirs.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:04 am

Maybe I'm jaded, but at this point I don't really have much faith in anyone who replies by surrogate to tell us to check out their Jackson Browne, Van Morison-inspired new album on amazon.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Forest-Fc » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:20 am

bpdp3 wrote:Maybe I'm jaded, but at this point I don't really have much faith in anyone who replies by surrogate to tell us to check out their Jackson Browne, Van Morison-inspired new album on amazon.

To answer your question, i posted about this on here as not only am i a personal friend of Nick's but i'm also a fan.
I think it's a fantastic album (Broadcast will always be number 1 to me but this is a close 2nd).
Nick didn't ask me to post on his behalf. he joked with me and said I (meaning Me) should set you all straight and say that Cutting Crew are a Rock band, Not New Wave.
You could possibly say that a lot of the confusion could be that Nick's first band The Drivers were classed as New Wave.
I didn't expect to get criticism about this

To answer MissingPersons question, Nick is actually extremely busy with tons of projects coming up including touring from next month onwards starting with Lost 80s USA Tour and continuing with many dates for the next year or so.
So sadly he doesn't have a free moment to post on here.
I often post on the official Cutting Crew Facebook, twitter and YouTube channels on Nick's behalf (if any of you are subscribers to these channels) & often, he'll ask me to make videos to post on YouTube.
Forest-Fc
Running Up That Hill

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:06 am

Fair enough....like the man in orthopedic shoes once said, "I stand corrected". As you might imagine, a message board based on new wave sees a lot of one-time marketing blurbs.

I'd be interested to know how your friend felt about how they were packaged vs his own image of the band back then.... did he feel like the record company etc was trying to force an 'image' on them at the time. My interpretation of them based on video and how the records sounded might've been totally different than the band's own...and I think that's a worthy avenue to discuss. Certainly most artists strive to avoid pigeon-holing,yet all are subject to it.

We've had a lot of good conversations on this board over the years about this hard-to-define period of the mid 80s (that introduced many people to bands like Cutting Crew). Regardless, good to hear he was able to transcend that and continue his musical pursuits today.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby swerve » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:42 am

I'm always amazed at how people get so wrapped up in what to label something.

I had a radio jock years ago tell me that what matters is that you find enjoyment in listening to any kind of music period.

I believe I was having a discussion about how I could never like speed metal ( again a label ) and he was very to the point about the fact some people do and that's all that matters.

Very simple statement yet it made me think of these things differently. This discussion would have taken place in the early 90's.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby Forest-Fc » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:05 pm

bpdp3 wrote:Fair enough....like the man in orthopedic shoes once said, "I stand corrected". As you might imagine, a message board based on new wave sees a lot of one-time marketing blurbs.

I'd be interested to know how your friend felt about how they were packaged vs his own image of the band back then.... did he feel like the record company etc was trying to force an 'image' on them at the time. My interpretation of them based on video and how the records sounded might've been totally different than the band's own...and I think that's a worthy avenue to discuss. Certainly most artists strive to avoid pigeon-holing,yet all are subject to it.

We've had a lot of good conversations on this board over the years about this hard-to-define period of the mid 80s (that introduced many people to bands like Cutting Crew). Regardless, good to hear he was able to transcend that and continue his musical pursuits today.

I am trying to get Nick to do a bunch of videos for YouTube to answer questions asked by the fans.
I suggested to him that maybe fans can message a bunch of questions they wish to ask and the best ones could be picked at random. Obviously there would be some questions he wouldn't be able to answer maybe for legal/personal reasons but my idea was that it doesn't have to be music related. It could be something like favourite movie, holiday location, books, food etc.
I think that it is interesting to find out many things that you didn't know about you're favourite artists and that they're not all different, they're just like us.
I said to Nick that I think it would be great to do this as when press interviews ask questions, if they've been addressed in one of these videos, Nick could just save time and say "check out this YouTube video where I've answered that question".
If this idea happens, I'd suggest asking that question on the official Facebook or Twitter page when he finally agreed to do this.

What do you think of my idea?
Forest-Fc
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions