Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Passions

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

The Passions

Postby WoodlandParkPunk » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:02 am

Just discover this band and absolutely love them. Such a smooth mesmerizing sound. Any other fans out there?
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." ~ Sid Vicious
WoodlandParkPunk
Room at the Top

Re: The Passions

Postby MissingPersons » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:04 pm

They had one minor UK hit called "I'm In Love With A German Film Star". I liked their album "Thirty Feet Above China", and the best songs there would be Skin Deep and The Square.

By the way maybe you know Martha & The Muffins. Give a try to their albums if you liked The Passions, they had this style of New Wave with a female lead vocalist like Blondie or early Kim Wilde.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby WoodlandParkPunk » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 pm

I will give them a listen. Thanks for the heads up!
"You just pick a chord, go twang, and you've got music." ~ Sid Vicious
WoodlandParkPunk
Room at the Top

Postby tenohtwo » Sat May 06, 2017 5:22 pm

Yeah, great band. I only have "Thirty Thousand Feet Over China", their 1981 release, but it's a great album. There are some post-punk elements present, and the guitarist likes his chorus and delays (which I love). Check out "Alice's Song", another great, moody track from that album.

FWIW, the Foo Fighters actually recorded an acoustic cover of Film Star as a b-side on one of their singles. Grohl is known for his good taste in music (and playing with Killing Joke for an album), so I can't help liking the Foos version for being such an obscure selection.

tenohtwo
Personal Jesus

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions