Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Why The Fixx never had success in the British market?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Why The Fixx never had success in the British market?

Postby MissingPersons » Tue May 09, 2017 1:01 am

This has always been a mystery to me.

The Fixx were very quirky sounding, something that the British market embraced more easily than the American market. But still, they managed to be huge in the States and in their native UK they had no Top 40 hits at all. And those guys are not even Americans, by the way.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Re: Why The Fixx never had success in the British market?

Postby obs » Tue May 09, 2017 1:13 am

Never knew that weren't popular at home. I still listen to the greatest hits package (One Thing Leads to Another) regularly. I love Deeper and Deeper.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 am

they're still around..

they had some modest success in the 80's, but only appealed to a smaller audience after that.

i like their first couple of albums, and remixes.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby MissingPersons » Tue May 09, 2017 10:15 am

obs wrote:Never knew that weren't popular at home. I still listen to the greatest hits package (One Thing Leads to Another) regularly. I love Deeper and Deeper.

Deeper and Deeper was more Arena Rock than New Wave. Since Calm Animals they pursued a more Alternative Rock direction.

Actually, their first album only was only a minor success in the UK and their biggest hit One Thing Leads To Another reached only #86 in the UK charts.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed May 10, 2017 2:30 pm

I suspect they weren't distinguished enough for the British market - which was always very image-conscious. Plus too guitar-oriented and generally rock-sounding for their times. Plus too political before it became the norm for mainstream bands. Generally they didn't quite fit in. I've read somewhere that their record company was preparing to drop them after their debut didn't quite hit as big as they'd hoped. But then they discovered good sales across the pond and directed the band there - with great success, as we know.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby wasproxy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:44 am

they had far too nice dental work ... brits were jealous
wasproxy
Take On Me

Postby MarcD » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:30 am

I've always considered it weird as well that The Fixx weren't "accepted" by the same British music-buying public that made the much more inaccessible (one would think) Gary Numan and Japan stars.

P.S. It was my native Canada that embraced The Fixx even more than the USA (of course there were much higher sales totals in the US because of the higher population)...i.e. The Fixx had their only #1 hit north of the border. No #1s in America or Britain. :)
MarcD
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions