Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Pop Quiz show.

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Pop Quiz show.

Postby maccafan076 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 am

I saw a cover for a 4DVD set of Pop Quiz shows from the 80s but besides some clips on YouTube I can't find anything else. Has anyone seen this unofficial 4dvd set or might have some episodes?
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Re: Pop Quiz show.

Postby eddie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:12 pm

still got hundreds of vhs tapes from the 80's but i know i threw some of these shows out when i moved house couldn't possibly have taken everything. I know i've still got the duran spandau special as that vhs also has a couple of long duran shows on. As I remember Boy George was on a few and more entertaining than most. It's unlikely the bbc still have tapes of them all as they had a habit of wiping even decent shows and the only redeeming feature of this show was that occasionally you got a short clip of something you wouldn't see anywhere else but with the mining of back catalogues to cash in on the dvd market all the likes of the old grey whistle test clips or old top of the pops clips will be available elsewhere and almost certainly on you tube in a much more complete form than they ever were on this show where you were lucky if you got 20/30 seconds.

if people are willing to upload 4 dvds worth or even sit through it then they need to get out more.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby maccafan076 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:58 am

4dvds does seem like overkill. One that I can't find has Elvis Costello Phil Collins Huey Lewis and Nik Lowe.
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:27 pm

can you link to the cover. i'm intrigued that anyone managed to keep four dvds worth of these shows based on three things. One, the series ended in 1984 which isn't yet the height of the video boom in Britain therefore reducing the possibilities. Two, the cost of vhs tapes at the time was certainly prohibitive to keeping non-essential recordings and three, the fragile nature of the medium. I lost loads of tapes to jams/shredding/twisting/tearing etc.

I saw something where it said it regularly had ten million viewers but that needs context - we only had three tv channels at that time and it probably gained a lot of viewers being sandwiched between the football results and either the generation game or little and large (neither of which will mean anything to you I understand that). The one you mention seems to be the last (except for two specials) of the original series three year run. i know that wasn't an episode I had because i know where i was in october 1984.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_Quiz#frb-inline

most of my 600 or so vhs tapes look something like this one that i just transferred to three dvds to get ultra high setting

howard jones manchester apollo 15 march 1985 rebroadcast from 7 june 1985 with extras HQ

omd Sheffield city hall 14 june 1985 HQ

andy summers/robert fripp rehearsal 1985 plus interviews

go west goodbye girl on top of the pops

china crisis you did cut me/king in a catholic style live on bliss 23 august 1985

spandau ballet live london scala july 1980 black and white

sting moon over bourbon street acoustic from 'walking to new orleans' documentary

sting love is the seventh wave live montreux 1985

suzanne vega Luka 'wogan' tv show 27 may 1987
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby maccafan076 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Here's a link to the only info I found

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/unaut ... op-quiz.p/
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:46 am

One of the most bizarre bootleg releases i've ever seen. I can't imagine how they believed they would make money from that. All episodes are from the later series which makes sense but I would pay to see someone suggest to gilmour, plant etc today that they need to do such a show to promote their album. I can remember having the kim wilde/francis rossi episode (maybe still have) because you could tell he thought he was going to be banging her by the end of the day. He maybe wasn't as interested 20 years later when she was status quo's support act. completely by accident fast forwarding a video today i found kims other appearance on an old vhs which is the one that's on youtube with morrissey and phil lynott. currently converting an ultra rare squeeze hammersmith 1980 pro shot vhs which is considerably more exciting than pop quiz.
eddie
The Jet Set

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions