Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Forty years of 'Rock Lobster'

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Forty years of 'Rock Lobster'

Postby q89747 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:50 pm

q89747
Personal Jesus

Re: Forty years of 'Rock Lobster'

Postby bpdp3 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:42 pm

I really don't like it when people say "you had to be there"... but if you're discovering the b52s post 'love shack', it might be hard to appreciate how awesomely strange they were at the time of their debut.

In fact, I'd say that debut album (and songs like rock lobster) is the quintessential example of new wave. The cover of that debut perfectly reflects the kitsch, the bizarreness, the thrill of what was early new wave.

I heard an interview with James Murphy of LCD sound system where he said that the guitar in rock lobster could beat up any other guitar. I TOTALLY agree.. that guitar is downright menacing. Brilliant song!

Thanks for sharing the article (and I remember Lennon mentioning the 52s in his interviews for double fantasy...!)
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby q89747 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:40 am

Agreed. They get (somewhat understandably) dismissed as a novelty act. But the first LP is one of my faves of all time. There's another thread from years ago on the NWO about the 'Mount Rushmore' of NW guitarists; one of my votes is Ricky Wilson.
q89747
Personal Jesus

Postby bpdp3 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:35 am

...not a huge exaggeration to say I'd give my left arm to go to this show!
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions