Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

New Wave bands that were only popular in some countries

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

New Wave bands that were only popular in some countries

Postby Michael Bully » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:56 am

A friend of mine who was brought up in the States and myself - who have lived all my life in Britain- sometimes compare notes concerning bands that seemed to do have had a large following in one country or some countries, but have not caught on in others.

A prime example were The Jam, who were popular as from 1977 in Britain , became more popular year by year , and finished on a creative and commercial peak at the end of 1982. From all I've heard and read so far, they just didn't seem to get far in The States though were certainly making the effort.

Here's 'Going Underground'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1ct5yEuVY
Michael Bully
Switchin' to Glide

Re: New Wave bands that were only popular in some countries

Postby swerve » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:44 pm

It's been mentioned here before that The Fixx were popular in North America yet never had a Top 50 hit in the UK where they are from.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Quite a common thing, actually. Lots of bands unappreciated in their homeland that sold well elsewhere. Tangerine Dream, for instance, who were always bigger in the UK and US than in Germany. Classix Nouveaux, overlooked in the UK but having superstar-level popularity in Portugal or Poland. B-Movie, who had great success in Spain. A Flock of Seagulls with their main audience in the USA (the same thing with Wang Chung, already mentioned The Fixx, even Billy Idol had his highest profile in North America and Germany). Depeche Mode, whose profile for most of their carrier has been lower in their homeland than elsewhere (especially Germany). Same with Kim Wilde, who had no UK hit since early 1990s but charted regularly in German-speaking countries well into 2010s. Dead or Alive were bigger in Japan than anywhere else, and for a long time. The list may go on :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Michael Bully » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Indeed, turning into quite a list !
I have to admit that I don't remember The Fixx at all.
Flock of Seagulls - I remember the name but couldn't tell you any more than that.
B Movie- I bought 'Remembrance Day' when it came out but couldn't tell you any more about them.
Classix Noveau I remember around 1980 as getting some airplay and doing some gigs.
Depeche Mode - I accept could get more popular outside of Britain but still had a great deal of success here and also had an impressive reputation as a live
band. So not quite what I was thinking of.

One British band could be considered is The Sound, recording and playing live from 1979 - 1987 , had a lot of support within the music press, and other media attention,but just couldn't get successful in Britain, but were very popular in The Netherlands and had some success playing live in other parts of Europe. Their singer Adrian Borland even lived for a while in The Netherlands once the group folded, though returned to London where he died in 1999. I remember them vaguely, but only started listening to them once Youtube emerged, and could here their songs there.
Michael Bully
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Qbertqubes » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:25 pm

You must be joking? You are on this site and do not know the fixx or a flock of seagulls. That is most shocking
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Qbertqubes wrote:You must be joking? You are on this site and do not know the fixx or a flock of seagulls. That is most shocking

well i don't know b-movie, or classix noveau, and quite a lot of other bands.

not everyone has heard all the 80's bands or songs out there.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Qbertqubes » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:07 pm

If you are on this site, Then you should know the very common new wave 80s artists like fixx etc
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby Michael Bully » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:56 am

Qbertqubes wrote:If you are on this site, Then you should know the very common new wave 80s artists like fixx etc

I wouldn't call Fixx very common in Britain ! Lived through that era and listened to plenty of New Wave /Punk/ electronic bands . Honestly don't recall them . But I am going to check them out and get myself educated. :D
Michael Bully
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Qbertqubes » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:30 pm

everyone & my grandmother all over the world & in Britain knows "One thing leads to another"...plus Red skies, saved by zero, stand or fall
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby Michael Bully » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Qbertqubes wrote:everyone & my grandmother all over the world & in Britain knows "One thing leads to another"...plus Red skies, saved by zero, stand or fall

Still means nothing to me ! But thanks ,will try and locate these tracks and give them a listen .
Michael Bully
Switchin' to Glide

Postby InvisibleMan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:12 am

Qbertqubes wrote:everyone & my grandmother all over the world & in Britain knows "One thing leads to another"...plus Red skies, saved by zero, stand or fall

according to Wikipedia, the song was only #86 in UK charts, however in Canada and US it was #1 and #2, so I think there was some geographic difference in its popularity at the time of release
InvisibleMan
The Jet Set

Postby Qbertqubes » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:31 pm

What a big difference in chart position. I am in the USA and they were played on the radio more than the beetles
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Qbertqubes wrote:What a big difference in chart position. I am in the USA and they were played on the radio more than the beetles

maybe for a few weeks, but lots of bands had a major hit, and then disappeared or didn't have many more hits after that.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Qbertqubes » Thu May 10, 2018 6:12 am

For the fixs..it was more like years & years & they have way more than one major hit & never disappeared & are on tour right now
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions