Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Name That Tune Volume 5

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Name That Tune Volume 5

Postby fritzb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 am

Time for another round of the ever popular Name That Tune. [:D]

This time I made a conscious effort to include more "easy ones" to encourage a few more New Wave newcomers to participate.

Like my last one, there are 50 songs clips - for a total of 100 points (1 point for artist, 1 point for title). There are 2 seconds of silence between song clips. Download your response form below and email it to me for tabulation when you're finished (my email address is on the form). Make sure to put your forum screen names on your answers, so I know who you are. Like last time, I will send the Answer Sheet to everyone who sends me their responses (if you don't hear from me within 24 hours, I probably didn't get your email). Don't post your responses here!

Here's the link for the response form (my email address is on it):
<a href="http://home.comcast.net/~fritzb1/NameThatTune5-Blank.txt">NameThatTune5 Response Form</a>

Here's the song sampler link:
<a href="http://home.comcast.net/~fritzb1/NameThatTune5.mp3">NameThatTune5.mp3</a>

There's a bit of everything in there style wise, but a large percentage of the cuts got widespread radio play; there even are a few Top 40 crossover hits, along with the usual smattering of obscure tunes to challenge the resident mavens. So, if you still can't get a decent score on this one, perhaps you should stick to your Britney and Celine Dion records. [:p]

Good Luck!

DON'T RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE BY POSTING YOUR RESPONSES HERE! [}:)]

BTW: If you haven't already done so, grab the mp3s for the stumper songs from <a href="http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1248">NTT2</a> & <a href="http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1303">NTT3</a> while you still can. They are going bye-bye soon.
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Grayson » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:05 pm

Cool deal Fritz! Thanks for another outstanding NTT contest. Did I miscount or are there actualy 51 tunes to name this time around? I corrected the start times on my answer sheet for Tunes 47-51 at tune 47 which you said on the blank answer sheet started
Grayson
Take On Me

Postby fritzb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:44 pm

Yeah, the start times look weird with most media players. I have 3 different media players and none of them agree on the times. For my Answer Sheet, I take down the times from my music editor (SoundForge), which is dead-on accurate to 1/1000th of a seco
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Grayson » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:11 pm

Yep, I skipped number 46 so that's why I came up with a number 51. Number 46 is missing on the blank answer sheet I downloaded. I didn't bother to count for myself and just followed the answer sheet as it was numbered and that's why I thought there was an
Grayson
Take On Me

Postby fritzb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:02 pm

D'oh! #46 wasn't on the Answer Sheet!?! I wonder how the hell that happened?!? Sorry guys... fixed now! [:I]
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby KMFDM10000 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:56 pm

Hey, this IS much easier. I feel better now. I think I got almost 1/2. Request for #41 please. It sounds very very familiar and sounds like a good song. #43 is killing me, because I know it and can't think of it.
KMFDM10000
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:44 am

Well, it's definitely a little easier. I just got 28 of them on my first pass through so I hope I can get a few more tonight at home.

And no lie here: #29 is the song I paused on the CD player in order to listen to the quiz. So I know I got at least
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:30 am

Yeah, this one definitely looks like it's easier than previous editions. With only 5 responses in, the average score is 61 points! [:)]

#41 has intrigued a few of you already, though nobody has gotten it yet. It's one of the more obscure vinyl-only c
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:50 pm

fritz, when do you plan on ending this edition? I want to make sure I get my answers to you in time. Thanks. [:)]
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:03 am

The game will end on Friday 4PM EST (4/30/04). You've got a bit of time yet. [;)]
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:32 pm

Update

With 9 responses in, the average score is now a quite respectable 58 points. Only 3 songs have yet to be identified at all and one song without a correct title.

Keep 'em coming...

[8D]
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:49 pm

k, fritzb, my answers have been sent off to you. I did find this list easier than those before, and based on how my school papers were graded, I'm still flunking at this game! [:D]
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:34 am

Good thing we grade on a curve here! [;)]

Skinnytie, you actually passed. I got your answers but your msn email server appears to be down at the moment. I'll keep trying to send my reply with the answer sheet.
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:42 am

wonderful. I can't get the answers to the songs that are driving me crazy, but I'm at no loss for penile enhancements or get rich on eBay schemes. [:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:19 am

Last Call!!! [8D]

The game ends Friday 4PM EST!
fritzb
Room at the Top

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions