Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

I Need Help

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

I Need Help

Postby punkcata » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49 am

Hi All

The thread title works on a number of levels but in this instance I am looking into history.

A couple of years ago I started to create a database of punk / early new wave bands formed and active between 75 and late 78 and trying to put some details to each one I noted

https://punkmusiccatalogue.wordpress.com/

I included line ups and basic listings of what music was recorded at the time - a kind of extended discography. I wasn't expecting it to take long (isn't hindsight wonderful) but was asked by some people online to include the rest of the world not just the UK so now its over 5500 pages!!. Although I've kept to the date time-frame I have expanded the listings to include some of the more well known bands from related genres; Mod revival, Pub rock, Nwobhm etc. also some of the earlier North American groups.

Anyway back to the point, from time to time some of the more obscure bands have got in touch with updates, corrections and filling in the blanks. But at the moment I have two long lists of bands that I have very little info on. Some of these bands may not be punk / new wave at all but there must be someone out there who recollects their names and maybe a bit more.

UK
https://punkmusiccatalogue.wordpress.com/more-information-required/

N. American
https://punkmusiccatalogue.wordpress.com/more-information-required-2/

So if anybody can shed light on these bands or maybe even know how to contact ex members, I would be very grateful.

Thanks
punkcata
Running Up That Hill

Re: I Need Help

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:43 pm

I wish I could help you, for two reasons: first to be a nice guy, but more importantly because it would mean I got to see cool bands in that era! Born in ‘66, it just didn’t happen. You really need people in that 65 age group, as they would’ve been the ones to have known or seen these acts.

I definitely appreciate what you’re doing here, though. You’re archiving things that might very well be lost to the ages otherwise. Good luck with it, and if I see a good source of info that’s not too obvious, I’ll certainly pass it on.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:57 am

Have you got one of these

https://archive.org/details/volumetwointerna00bgeo

or go on the waitlist to "borrow" it?

Particularly good on VERY obscure compilations.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby punkcata » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:01 pm

thanks Eddie,

I do have that book (since 1987!), but its looking a bit tired now, lost its front cover, but you are right its a great source for obscure releases. The one book I would like to get a view of Mario Panciera's 45 Revolutions, currently $700 is the cheapest I've found!. I do know a couple of people who have it, but as yet not been able to persuade them to cross reference it with my database :mrgreen:
punkcata
Running Up That Hill

Postby eddie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:22 am

My copy of the international discography is in one piece but yellowing but it's a fantastic piece of work for the time it was put together. That and the Hot wacks bootleg guides and David Bowie The concert tapes by Pimm Jal De La Parra are still never far away from me.

I've never seen a copy of 45Revolutions because if I had it would be here with those.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby bpdp3 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Agreed on the Mario panciera book; I really want it badly but it’s just too $$ at this point!!

Another more affordable book I own that might be of some help is “77 the year of punk and new wave” by Henrik Bech Poulsen. Pretty obscure names are covered...not just the usual suspects.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby punkcata » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:43 am

Another one for the xmas list there then :D What I've found is that once you look beyond the bands that released (or at the very least recorded) something then the info is very scarce. A good source has been fanzines, some of them focused on the local bands not covered in the national music papers. The best source for the forgotten bands will probably be contact with ex band members, some of which have started to get in touch which I am grateful for. This has lead to some odd email discussions though. One member of a very well known band got in touch with some corrections but refused to let me name-check him for the help because he didn't want his ex bandmates "to know how to contact him"!
punkcata
Running Up That Hill

Postby bpdp3 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:15 am

That’s actually pretty funny. It’s the same reason I avoid Facebook, so I don’t have to deal with happily forgotten high school mates!
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions