Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Hidden Tracks on Vinyl

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Hidden Tracks on Vinyl

Postby ekahob » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:57 am

Hidden Tracks on Vinyl

I almost went crazy trying to find Lene Lovich's "I Think We're Alone Now" sung in Japanese in my record collection. (When I was a college DJ I used to pan back in forth between the verses with the English version.) I did a Google search but could not find a record I had it on. I knew I didn't have it on a 45. I went through every compilation album I had and couldn't find it listed anywhere. I had thought it was on "The Last Stiff Compilation Album - Until The Next One" but it wasn't listed on the cover. I took a look at the album and found that there were 8 tracks on side 1 but only 7 listed and then I remembered that that's were the Lene Lovich track was. On the insert in the album there is info on each song and there is a spot where everything is in Japanese.

Leave it to Stiff to invent the Hidden track. Does anybody know of any others?

btw - I like "hidden tracks" on cd's as long as they are not too hidden. It really sucks when you have to wait or scan through 5-10 minutes of silence for a hidden song. Can't they just put them on their own track right after the last listed song? Not listing them on the cd anywhere is hidden enough for me.
ekahob
The Jet Set

Postby fritzb » Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:14 am

Cool topic!

I can't say I'm aware of too many hidden New Wave tracks, but one is quite well known. "Train In Vain (Stand By Me)" by The Clash is a hidden track at the end of the classic 1979 "London Calling" album. If I recall correctly, it was added
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby 2Nu » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:29 am

Hey Folks,
Sounds like you've stumbled onto the topic of "Easter Eggs"
Check out this link and go find what's out there [;)]
http://www.eeggs.com/

Happy Hunting![:D]
2Nu
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:07 am

There was another Stiff compilation record with a hidden track, namely "A Bunch of Stiffs", catalog # Seez 2. The song was "Back to Schooldays" by Graham Parker, but a different version than was on "Howling Wind" and was nowhere listed on the album or sl
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby Blaster » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:49 am

.. I seem to recall 'back in the day, people saying that "Train in vain" was left off the album cover on purpose, because the Clash felt they were "railroaded" by their producers into a sell out to attempt a top-40 hit.
Anyone remember this or know if
Blaster
Take On Me

Postby bpdp3 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:01 am

I was under the impression that it was a goof (who could've guessed the CLASH would have a commercial top 40 hit)...

Speaking of Train in Vain/London Calling - - how about hidden vinyl messages (something scrawled in the run-out groove). London Callin
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby ekahob » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:09 am

Stiff Records scratched messages in many of their 45's
ekahob
The Jet Set

Postby skinnytie » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:48 pm

Madness was notorious for scratching messages into their records.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions