Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Aging Newavers what new bands listen too now

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Aging Newavers what new bands listen too now

Postby Quite Life » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:12 am

After reading the demise of great radio stations like KROQ and Live 105. I personally like to remember the good ole days the glory years of these great stations that played the very songs, great and unique that these bands were that give the justification for the very reason why we have a forum such as this. It is sad to see the forces of crap, which disguises itself as modern alternative music (alternative to what?) slowly over the years (like the frog in the kettle) usurp the very airwaves that once gave medium to so many bands that we are now on this discussion board and this web site are paying homage to in reverent remembrance and thoughtful reflection of. But alas, there is still in my humble opinion still a wonderful and bright future of music in the post punk/new wave tradition despite modern radio’s obstinate refusal to resurrect some of the great sounds of the past due to the petty excuse that late 70’s early 80’s new wave doesn’t make money or turn a profit for the big greedy corporate music machine that manufactures rubbish. Think about it for a second was it not for the very reason that attracted us to new wave bands like Gang of Four, XCT, Joy Division, Ultravox, Killing Joke, Romeo Void, X, The Jam and others who’s creative powers gave the big middle finger to the multi-billion dollar corporate music barons on Hollywood and Vine? The irony is that some of the newer bands that where heavily influenced by some of these bands of the post punk new wave era where instrumental in the construction of the mega corporate alternative rock radio monstrosity that we have today.

Anyway life does go on….

So what new bands do you listen to today and why? Is it because they remind you of bands of old? Here are a few for me.

The Sounds – No shit, they really do sound like Blondie and Missing Persons (Go Sweden)
The Yeah Yeah Yeah’s – There kind of like Romeo Void, X-Ray Spex and the Germs but with a little more overdrive.
Erase Errata – These chicks are off the hook they sound like Gang of Four, The Slits, The Raincoats and The Au Pairs.
Whirlwind Heat – Gang of Four, Devo, A Certain Ration. My only complaint is that who ever is playing bass for them desperately needs to turn down the gain on his bass overdrive pedal.
The White Stripes – Meg is cute and they kind of remind me of Television meets Iggy Pop.
The Strokes – Iggy Pop meets The Jam
The Hives – The Fleshtones, well maybe that’s a stretch.

I also listen to
Blur
Elastica
Republical

Some Jazz and Acid Jazz

Cheers,
jr

Edited by - Quite Life on 07/02/2003 09:14:46

Edited by - Quite Life on 07/02/2003 09:16:10
Quite Life
Room at the Top

Postby Jay242 » Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:00 am

There are a lot of post 80s musicians out there that are excellent. I'll name and describe twelve of them for you:

1. The White Stripes--Excellent cutting edge band
2. ...And you will know us by the trail of dead--one of the best new bands to come
Jay242
Take On Me

Postby fabfourever » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:55 am

The Lackloves "Star City Baby"
The Railway Children "Reunion Wilderness" reissue
The Mockingbirds S/T
Midnight Oil "Redneck Wonderland"
You Am I "Hi Fi Way"
fabfourever
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Frayo » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:33 pm

--Im not old enough to qualify for the topic, but I dont like new music in general, except for those who seem to never make the charts:

I have 3 people that are interesting New wave/punk artists who actally sound like they could have existed back then-
Frayo
Room at the Top

Postby DJ UNO » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:58 pm

Hot Hot Heat reminds me a lot of old new wave, at least what I've heard of them.

I listen to a wide range of stuff though, really depends on my mood.

http://wber.monroe.edu
DJ UNO
Running Up That Hill

Postby Quite Life » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:01 am

Absolutly DJ UNO, Hot Hot Heat totally reminds me of XTC. In XTC glory days of White Music, Drums and Wires and Black Sea. Hot Hot Heat's Lp "Make Up the Breakdown" is a good buy IMO, The first song I heard from them was a few months ago in a MOJO sample
Quite Life
Room at the Top

Postby Tomb » Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:19 pm

>Hot Hot Heat totally reminds me of XTC<

Try the Futureheads. The singer sounds just like Andy Partridge! Excellent band as well. First ep produced by Andy Gill (Gang Of Four)

British Sea Power remind me of Joy Division and Echo and the Bunnymen.
Tomb
Take On Me

Postby sadie » Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:41 pm

god, what is it with people liking hot hot heat?

so they're from my hometown. i'd still think they were lousy musicians even if i didn't know 'em.
sadie
Running Up That Hill

Postby oneno » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:22 am

I'm still suprised by David Bowies music. Heathen has some worthey efforts on it as well as his prior release. as mentioned Mouse on Mars, Amon Tobin, Talvin Singh,Bent, Lemon Jelly, Tipsy, Invisble College are to name a few. they are pretty diverse in n
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby gazebo » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:42 am

Here are some other Canadian bands you might want to check out.

The Dears- No Cities left cd
Broken Social Scene-You Forgot It People cd.
gazebo
Personal Jesus

Postby Quite Life » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:12 am

I still have to pimp the Sounds

Go buy their CD
Quite Life
Room at the Top

Postby KYYX4ever » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:15 pm

more borrowers of this great sound:

Ladytron: sounds like old OMD, Yaz, some early Depeche sound.

The Faint: sounds just like old Cure !

Interpol: sounds like Joy Division, Psychedelic Furs, even some Smiths.

Strokes: sound like Velvet Und
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby humanchip » Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:42 am

I like : Legowelt, Adult, Rude 66, Orgue Electronique, Bangkok Impact
and much more..
humanchip
Running Up That Hill

Postby EchoBeach » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:05 am

Forget the White Stripes, The strokes, The Faint, and all that other stuff in heavy rotation. The following bands will set you free and set a new standard for your listening life...

The Rolling Blackouts
Luxo Champ
The Causey Way
The Knock Ups
The
EchoBeach
Take On Me

Postby blackbake » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:29 pm

Seems Glasgow is the place to look for up and coming new / no wave bands. Franz Ferdinand are fantastic, and Michael Dracula (rumoured to be signed to recently restarted Ze Records of New York) are really good too. Totally great tunes, utterly danceable
blackbake
Running Up That Hill

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions