Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Why are we still talking about New Wave 20 yrs lat

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Why are we still talking about New Wave 20 yrs lat

Postby WoodlandParkPunk » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:15 am

Because it was and still is sooo good. The music was fun and happy. The fashions were bright and colorful. It was new and "catchy". Since the New Wave era we have been subjected to lousy fashion, depressing music and overall lack of individuality and style. Let's keep the "Wave" going and hopefully todays youth will come to their senses and the revival will continue.
WoodlandParkPunk
Room at the Top

Postby Jimbo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:39 am

I agree!
Hair metal sucked, grunge sucked about the same but sucked in a different direction and whatever came after that I don't know... I stopped paying attention.

Is that Woodland Park, CA?
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby bowiestation » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:43 am

I might add:it took talent,originality, and artistic ability--to me it was a true art form.
bowiestation
The Jet Set

Postby unguarded moment » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:46 am

Fashion was the LEAST of all reasons I was drawn to New Wave music. Let's face it, a lot of the New Wave artists dressed pretty silly, if not effeminate. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the so-called New Romantic bands but the poofy pants and make-u
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby oneno » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:21 am

I like the whole enchilada.The music ,hair, style, although at the time I didn't appreciate it as much.I turned 20 in 1980, so I was pretty much age apropriate to truly enjoy the new wave life.I really didn't care much for some of the fashion, I was a lon
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby randy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:58 am

Grunge is actually worse than hair metal--very depressing--virtually killed rock with one punch.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby ebbhead » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:26 am

We're all talking about it because it's the music that we grew up with. Sociologically, people tend to think most fondly of the music that they enjoyed from ages 15-23. Guessing that most of the people on this board fell into that 15-23 range at some po
ebbhead
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:48 am

[quote]Originally posted by ebbhead
[br]We're all talking about it because it's the music that we grew up with. Sociologically, peo
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby cubby » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:56 am

First, the music was great. Second, it was what a lot of us grew up with. I think some of it has to do with nostalgia. You hear a certain song or band and your mind goes back to a certain period of time.
cubby
The Jet Set

Postby Grayson » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:32 am

<I>Randy said...

<B>Grunge is actually worse than hair metal--very depressing--virtually killed rock with one punch.</B></I>

I just don't understand the hostility shown towards "Grunge" on this board. Grunge is just as much a sub set of Punk as new
Grayson
Take On Me

Postby Frau_Blucher » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:14 am

Right on Grayson! It saved rock IMHO. I think maybe what grates on people though is that people kept piling it on higher and deeper and we OD'd on it. But nevertheless, there's a lot of good hard alterno rock along with the burgeoning of electronic and br
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions