Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Canadian New wave/early experimental

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby oneno » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:06 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by CircleSky[/i]
<br>Speaking of Nash the Slash, I'm trying to find a copy of "Magic in Your Eyes" (Was that by FM or Nash the Slash solo?) Does anyone have an mp3 of that, or a video perhaps, if one exists?

Edited to add, I'm also looking for some Neo a4 (Band from Edmonton, I believe). Both these treasures are proving difficult to find.

[/quote]

Nash the slash did magic in your eyes i think
http://www.canadianbands.com/

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="blue"/font>[i]Chuck[/i]</FONT>
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:35 pm

Images in Vogue is suppose to have a third compilation out soon (tracks were remastered a few months ago).
http://www.imagesinvogue.ca

and Platinum Blonde is suppose to have a DVD coming out some time soon but i haven't heard any definite news.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Borneojimy » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:40 am

Sudden Death records has just reissued the early 80s comp "Vancouver Complication" which is a pretty great mix of punk & new wave from that area. You get songs from DOA, Subhumans, K Tels, Active Dog, Dishrags, Rude Norton & a ton of others. Good place to start checking out some older Canadian bands. They also have reissues from the Pointed Sticks, Young canadians, Modernettes & many others. They seem to have taken up the slack since the OPM label folded a few years ago.
Borneojimy
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:34 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Borneojimy[/i]
<br>Sudden Death records has just reissued the early 80s comp "Vancouver Complication" which is a pretty great mix of punk & new wave from that area. You get songs from DOA, Subhumans, K Tels, Active Dog, Dishrags, Rude Norton & a ton of others. Good place to start checking out some older Canadian bands. They also have reissues from the Pointed Sticks, Young canadians, Modernettes & many others. They seem to have taken up the slack since the OPM label folded a few years ago.
[/quote]

Which of these groups would be considered New Wave (as opposed to punk)?
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby human clone » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:55 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by obs[/i]
<br>Images in Vogue is suppose to have a third compilation out soon (tracks were remastered a few months ago).
http://www.imagesinvogue.ca

and Platinum Blonde is suppose to have a DVD coming out some time soon but i haven't heard any definite news.
[/quote]

Mark Holmes (singer of Platinum Blonde) owns and DJs at very successful nightclub called the "Mod Club".
human clone
Personal Jesus

Postby Borneojimy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:35 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by Borneojimy[/i]
<br>Sudden Death records has just reissued the early 80s comp "Vancouver Complication" which is a pretty great mix of punk & new wave from that area. You get songs from DOA, Subhumans, K Tels, Active Dog, Dishrags, Rude Norton & a ton of others. Good place to start checking out some older Canadian bands. They also have reissues from the Pointed Sticks, Young canadians, Modernettes & many others. They seem to have taken up the slack since the OPM label folded a few years ago.
[/quote]
I'd say that the Young canadians, Pointed Sticks and Modernettes would all be considered power pop. There's not really any synth type new wave, but some very cool stuff nonetheless. I tend to blur the line between punk & new wave quite a bit I guess.

Which of these groups would be considered New Wave (as opposed to punk)?
[/quote]
Borneojimy
The Jet Set

Previous

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions