Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

What is it?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

What is it?

Postby trekds947 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:01 pm

Hi all.

I'm from the Shep Pettibone, Justin Strauss, Stock/Aitken/Waterman era of mixmasters so, I'm a little unfamilar with Razormaid. Just what is a "Razormaid" remix, or is it a section of the new crop of mixmasters?
trekds947
Personal Jesus

Postby WolverineSyr » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:17 pm

I may be wrong, but I thought Razormaid was a subscription remix service for club djs similar to the Hot Tracks remix subscription.

(Hot Tracks began in the late '70's and has since morphed into a few other sub-services. They had an alternative branch called Road Kill.)

I'm not sure if Razormaid is related to Hot Tracks, but it seems like Razormaid has been around for quite a while too.
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:20 pm

There is a Razormaid website.
I believe that anyone can buy their cd(r)s and (formerly) vinyl.
In my mind they are essential because they have digitalized a lot of semi-obscure,(but essential) new wave and dance tracks (e,g, Nights Of Arabia, Kinetic etc etc) especially on their Class X series.
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby xcess-n-htown » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:38 am

Razormaid began in the mid-80's with Art Maharg and Joseph Watts as the owners/mixers. They are not related to Hot Tracks but Chris Cox helped Razormaid out, with some mixes, in the early 90's due to the death of Art Maharg. Razormaid used to be a dj only service and now is a member only service.
xcess-n-htown
Take On Me

Re: What is it?

Postby Magnum-Truth » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:03 am

trekds947 wrote:Hi all. Just what is a "Razormaid" remix, or is it a section of the new crop of mixmasters?

More often than not it's know as a San Francisco, California record company from the mid 80's (1984). Originally founded by Joseph Watt and Art Maharg , that originally started out as a Dj subscription service (remixing) and (extending) popular dance songs for use by night club disc jockeys.

It's also know as an old school (style / type) of remixing popular in the mid 80's where reel to reel tape is cut with razor blades and re-spliced with tape to create remixes, extended versions and mega-mixes as shown in the video. * Skip to about 1:30 to see the tape played at full speed. A painstakingly slow process now done with modern wave editing software in minutes. Razormaid! Records took it's name from this style of mixing. Razor Blade Mix / Razor Made Mix vs. Razormaid! Mix

Other similar videos of the splices passing by the playback head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQxFcUq7LrI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7SinqdoKeQ
Magnum-Truth
Personal Jesus

Re:

Postby Magnum-Truth » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:44 am

WolverineSyr wrote:(Hot Tracks began in the late '70's and has since morphed into a few other sub-services.

Actually started 1982 with its first two sub services called Hot Rocks & Love Tracks then a host of other series later on till they went out of business and were sold to select mix.

xcess-n-htown wrote: They are not related to Hot Tracks but Chris Cox helped Razormaid out, with some mixes

Joseph Watt (worked / remixed) for Hot Tracks and Disconet before striking out on his own and forming Razormaid!, and some other remix service labels after Razormaid was founded and a number independent remixes under his own name.
Magnum-Truth
Personal Jesus

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions