Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Notable "dark synth" tunes?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Notable "dark synth" tunes?

Postby British » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:20 am

You know the ones. The ones with the low pitch, semi-warbly sounding synths that give it a dark sound and feel.

Ones I can think of off hand:

"Tokyo Streets" by Glamour Cult
"Icehouse" by Icehouse

There's also a notable track on the Blue Thunder soundtrack that starts out good, then surprises you with clinky-sounding synth("adios JAFO" I think it is). It makes you think of a chopper facing another chopper in a Western-style showdown.
British
Room at the Top

Postby dancingmonkey69 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:03 pm

i believe the cure has cold synthesizers. they mix goth with new wave, which creates an interestingly dark sound. i think another new wave band that experimented with goth sounds was modern english, on the mesh and lace cd. thats what i read anyway. so im trying to find that cd cuz im curious- i wanna buy it!

k here is a dark new wave song:
"Just Like Heaven"- The Cure
dancingmonkey69
Switchin' to Glide

Postby dancingmonkey69 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:04 pm

if thats what you meant. . .
dancingmonkey69
Switchin' to Glide

Postby swooshtika » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:57 am

I'd have to suggest anything by Chris & Cosey for a "dark" sound. How about Severed Heads and Moev while you're at it?
swooshtika
Running Up That Hill

Postby newwavr176209 » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:25 am

What about "Smiling Monarchs" by the Abcedarians (I think that's how it's spelled)?
newwavr176209
Take On Me

Postby ExRat » Fri Sep 12, 2003 7:42 am

Some that I can think of are: Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, Skinny Puppy (of course), Specimen, and my very favorite - Fad Gadget, whose "Fireside Favourites" album is just absolutely brilliant, and I'm sure would be a great addition to what you're looking for.

ExRat
ExRat
Room at the Top

Postby EchoBeach » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:51 pm

You want dark...

Listen to the Siouxsie & the Banshees song "Red Light."

Or, if you want really dark, listen to the Screamers. Once you hear "122 Hours of fear", you'll trip.

~EB~
EchoBeach
Take On Me

Postby oneno » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:22 pm

Just about anything off of that fantastic LP of "Pictures" with there self titled album on EG records.As mentioned before Frank Tovey "Fad Gadget" For new stuff Tweaker's Last one with Sylvian on one cut is great and Death Ambient by Jazz Butcher's artsist and some easter artist can't recall names right now is great.

Since I have always preferred making plans The passage of time is flicking dimly upon the screen;
I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between.
Perhaps my brains have turned to sand.

Brian Eno
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:51 am

I forgot about - now don't laugh - A Flock of Seagulls and "Nightmares". I realize we all know them from I Ran and Spaceage , but this was my favorite of their's. Very moody and serious with wonderfully emotive lyrics.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby KYYX4ever » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:57 am

"Nightmares" by AFOS is a dark-wave gem ! you're right; i'd almost forgotten about that one. a bit of a departure from their usual poppy-synth sound. i love this one , too--probably my fave by AFOS.

i would also add:
1. "Fire island" by Secession (thanks everyone for helping me find this song, BTW)
2. "Rainy Season" by Howard Devoto
3. "Nowhere Girl" by B-Movie (well, it's a bit upbeat at times, but generally very moody and serious)
4. "Horror Movies" by Bollock Brothers
5. "Talking to a Stranger" by Hunters and Collectors
6. "Quiet Life" by Japan
7. "Halloween" by Ministry (early Ministry !)
8. "All Lined Up" by Shriekback
9. early Echo and the Bunnymen
10. and of course....early Cure (i.e., "Play For Today", "A Forest")
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby oneno » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:51 am

Don't forget Bowies "Low" album "Sense of Doubt" is pretty depressing.AFOS "Windows" was pretty decent too.Tones on Tale"Still Life"

Since I have always preferred making plans The passage of time is flicking dimly upon the screen;
I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between.
Perhaps my brains have turned to sand.

Brian Eno
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby dancingmonkey69 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:19 pm

lovesong- the cure
dancingmonkey69
Switchin' to Glide

Postby TheGlamPirate » Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:32 pm

I agree with Bowie's Low. Its a somewhat depressing album isn't it eg Warszawa. But we also can't forget "heroes" which also has somewhat dark synth.
I don't think Bowie's Ashes to Ashes has quite the sound you are talking about, but I also find it to be quite a dark synth song. Maybe its mostly the lyrics, but its a brilliant yet depressing song.

Glam Girls Do It Better
TheGlamPirate
Running Up That Hill

Postby SwampThing » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:49 pm

Has anyone heard of "Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry". I remember some of their works being "dark". I don't remember how much synth they actually used. I remember a CD called "Blow" and one called "Nothing Wrong".
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby Justj0hn » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:00 pm

Red Lorry Yellow Lorry were great....and they've recently reunited. They were more bass heavy though(especially the early material, reminiscent of "Alice"/"Floorshow" era Sisters Of Mercy)rather than relying on keyboards for their sound.

j0hn.......

<hr noshade color="#999999" size="1" width="90%">
"No telling what keeps me awake."
Justj0hn
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions