Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Notable "dark synth" tunes?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby anemiccinema » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:18 pm

Gary Numan - Aircrash Bureau
Moev - Crucified
Das Kabinet - The cabinet
Human League - The black hit from space
Soft Cell - Heat
John Foxx - No One driving
Shock - Dynamo
OMD - Statues
Japan - Ghosts
Fad Gadget - Sleep (electro induced original mix)
Section 26 - Looking from a Hilltop
anemiccinema
Personal Jesus

Postby glokstadt » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:55 pm

My all-time favorite band (and synth band) is Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark (OMD), so I'm listing the darkest songs from their discography that I think are notable dark synth tunes... so amny have a great angst to them!

In no particular order, except by LP:

OMITD:
Bunker Soilders
Mystereality
Pretending To See The Future
The Messerschmitt Twins
Dancing

Organization:
2nd Thought
Promise
Statues
The More I See You
The Misunderstanding
VCLXI (the name of Paul and Andy's first band together)
Stanlow (the best all-time tune IMHO: [^])

Annex (B-Side to Enola Gay 12" Extended Version)

Archetecture And Morality:
Sealand
She's Leaving
Georgia
The Beginning And The End

Dazzel Ships:
The Romance Of The Telescope
ABC Auto Industry
Dazzle Ships (Parts II, III & VII)
Of All The Things We've Made
Radio Waves
Silent Running
International

Junk Culture:
Love And Violence
Junk Culture
Apollo
White Trash

Crush:
88 Seconds In Greensboro

The Pacific Age:
The Dead Gils
The Pacific Age
Watch Us Fall

Sugar Tax:
Was It Something I Said
All She Wants Is Everything

Liberator:
King Of Stone
Best Years Of Our Lives
Christine
Only Tears

Universal:
The Black Sea
Universal
Too Late (Bass line and piano melody/chords has that "Every Breath You Take" by The Police feel to it!)

And the B-Sides to "Walking On The Milky Way:"
Matthew Street
The New Dark Age (w/Karl Bartos founding-member of Kraftwerk!)

Navagation - The OMD B-Sides:
Burning
I Betray My Friends
Gravity Never Failed
Firegun
Navagation
Taking Sides Again
4-NEU
(The Angels Keep Turning) The Wheels Of The Universe

Thanks for reading and enjoy some of these songs! [:)]
glokstadt
Room at the Top

Postby Mechi » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:31 pm

I soo love OMD, which has zero popularity here in Argentina. I wonder why.
They are as good as DM (which are rather
popular).
Someone mentioned Kirlian Camera? My friend Vaz and myself like them a lot but as far as I'm concerned they are industrial. Hehhe.. that reminds me... I promised my firend I would go out to one of those weird indutrial parties with him. I love the industrial crowd... you go to a party and it's just like 50 people and all dressed as if they were in an old DM video or in a s&m flick.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/mechigc
Mechi
Room at the Top

Postby glokstadt » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:29 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Mechi[/i]
<br>I soo love OMD, which has zero popularity here in Argentina. I wonder why.
They are as good as DM (which are rather
popular).
Someone mentioned Kirlian Camera? My friend Vaz and myself like them a lot but as far as I'm concerned they are industrial. Hehhe.. that reminds me... I promised my firend I would go out to one of those weird indutrial parties with him. I love the industrial crowd... you go to a party and it's just like 50 people and all dressed as if they were in an old DM video or in a s&m flick.

[/quote]

OMD never ever toured your great country? Maybe because your national team kicked England out of the World Cup a few cups back??? [;)] [:o)]
glokstadt
Room at the Top

Postby Mechi » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:50 pm

No.. they never did. I'm hoping they do. Let's see if this thing of New Order coming to Argentina attracts more bands to come down here.

I also wanted DM to come again but they aren't coming it seems.

But New Order coming makes me really happy.

Mechi
Room at the Top

Postby glokstadt » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:11 am

<br>No.. they never did. I'm hoping they do. Let's see if this thing of New Order coming to Argentina attracts more bands to come down here.

I also wanted DM to come again but they aren't coming it seems.

But New Order coming makes me really happy.

[/quote]

Hi Mechi/Mercedes! According to the "official" OMD website, they are rehersing for a new world tour, as reunited, to make money, play all the old tunes, etc. Website is: www.omd.uk.com

Maybe they'll tour Argentina! [:0]

caio, _Ger [:D]
glokstadt
Room at the Top

Postby glokstadt » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:00 am

You can check this out for more news on the tour, etc. at the OMD website. This is what it says fro 13. August 2006.:

"Virgin are to release a special edition of Architecture & Morality next year to coincide with the planned live performances by OMD. The new release will feature not only the Architecture & Morality album but also a separate DVD containing the Live At Drury Lane footage.

'Meanwhile, the band rehearsals have seen some new song additions: She's Leaving, Sealand, The Beginning And The End, Almost and The Romance Of The Telescope have been taken through thir paces and word is that the band are very happy with progress.

'Andy McCluskey's interview for The Word magazine has finally seen light. The September issue concentrates on an 80's-themed feature and also includes interviews with Gary Numan, Clare Grogan, Anthony Wilson and Jim Kerr."

I'm going to check out this "The Word" magazine, interview with Clare Grogan...[:X]--And G.N. to boot!
glokstadt
Room at the Top

Postby Violet Violin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:08 am

Yeah... The Cure's "Just like heaven". That is not dark. Noobie pseudo-goth.

But on the other hand like the other user said, The Human League's "Being boiled". That is another side to "The Human League" much darker, than... The Cure heh..

However, The Cure does have incredible B-sides!

[b]<font color=blueviolet>
<center>Sincerely, --

-- Miss Violet</center>
[/b]</font>
<font color=black><font ize=2>-P.S-
<font color=gray>Music lacks substance these days. I am sick of commercial dance.</font></font></font>
Violet Violin
Running Up That Hill

Postby Violet Violin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:37 am

Flesh for Lulu is actually very dark.

LOVELY songs.

[b]<font color=blueviolet>
<center>Sincerely, --

-- Miss Violet</center>
[/b]</font>
<font color=black><font ize=2>-P.S-
<font color=gray>Music lacks substance these days. I am sick of commercial dance.</font></font></font>
Violet Violin
Running Up That Hill

Postby design_femme » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:58 am

<br>Hehhe.. that reminds me... I promised my firend I would go out to one of those weird indutrial parties with him. I love the industrial crowd... you go to a party and it's just like 50 people and all dressed as if they were in an old DM video or in a s&m flick.

[/quote]

I freakin' love industrial and all its associations (EBM, futurepop, etc.) The whole fetish look is kinda tiresome to me, but I am a sucker for cute boys with shaved heads and stompy boots. I love dancing to hard electronic music too!
design_femme
Room at the Top

Postby Mechi » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:54 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by design_femme[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by Mechi[/i]
<br>Hehhe.. that reminds me... I promised my firend I would go out to one of those weird indutrial parties with him. I love the industrial crowd... you go to a party and it's just like 50 people and all dressed as if they were in an old DM video or in a s&m flick.

[/quote]

I freakin' love industrial and all its associations (EBM, futurepop, etc.) The whole fetish look is kinda tiresome to me, but I am a sucker for cute boys with shaved heads and stompy boots. I love dancing to hard electronic music too!
[/quote]

Yeah, the boys at industrial parties are so cute!!! [:D]
They are even hotter if they look anything like Trent Reznor. I adore him. He is like the hottest among the hot.

Mechi
Room at the Top

Postby beautifulmutant101 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:33 pm

I can't believe nobody's mentioned "Telekon."
beautifulmutant101
Take On Me

Postby groove grinder » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:07 am

rheingold - computer beat
moev - alibis
modern eon - euthenics
suicide - diamonds, fur coat, champagne
polyrock - romantic me
camera obscura - escape from the city
the the - giant
positive noise - change of heart
visage - the horseman
groove grinder
Take On Me

Postby Screen 13 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 am

Of course, the more experimental sounds of Cabaret Voltaire and TG are really essential to this topic, as well as Bowie's Berlin Trilogy.

For those into the more experimental and minimalist, try New York's legends Suicide, who's first two albums are very recommended, especially the first for it's head turning ability back in the day. If you have not heard them, songs like "Ghost Rider" and "Frankie Teardrop" are choice picks. The second album's picks are equal to that of groove grinder's.

Japan's Gentlemen Take Polaroids and Tin Drum are seriously essential to this when it comes to a more stylistic Dark Synth music and Gary Numan's Dance and Telekon are my picks, although the 79-82 albums (Yes, including I, Assassin) remain in my opinion all great as well as his return to form in the Late 90's and beyond. DM 82-93 is a great era as well.

Dali's Car, the project by Peter Murphy and Mick Karn, the later one of the most underrated Bass players ever, had a classic in "The Judgement is the Mirror."

Although Teardrop Explodes were Guitar-driven, "The Great Dominions" from Wilder can fit this topic perfectly.

Ministry's Twelve Inch Singles comp. and Twitch albums are great. Not as Pop as With Sympathy and not on overkill as most of the rest of their work, but just right to my ears.

The Human League's first two albums are also recommended, but "Seconds" is seriously a gem in this style. Actually, those who are into the "New Wave Abba" feel of Dare might like Abba's "The Visitors" from the 1981 album as well for being both very uncharacteristic and something that was a guilty pleasure to those who knew. It maybe a bit odd mentioning the Pop legends here, but at least their final album (and "The Day Before You Came" covered by many including Blancmange) grabbed the ears of some Synth minded people of the time.

SPK should be mentioned. "Metal Dance" is possibly the best known, but along with TG and CV, they are among the legends when it came to their more abrasive early work.

Visage's "The Damned Don't Cry" has been mentioned, and it's their crowning achievement. "The Anvil" is also another favorite.

Fad Gadget is seriously underrated. "Back to Nature," "For Whom the Bell Tolls," and "Collapsing New People" are favorites.

Soft Cell's The Art of Falling Apart and This Last Night in Sodom are great.
Screen 13
Take On Me

Previous

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions