Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Police vs. Sting Vote NOW

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby Grunch » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:34 am

I personally like voth The Police, and Sting as a solor artist. But then again, I did not expect him to try to sound like the Police did as a group. He has written some brilliant songs, and done some incredible cover versions, I don't get it, what is it about his songs, or lyrics, the beats, etc.....that make so many of you say "suck" - sorry, but in my opnion, people with an open mind to music accept growth of artists beyond their former bands, and Sting has certainly done this, to HIS choosing; reggae, jazz, world, and pop and IMO, he does it quite well. Compared to a lot of crap released since the demise of the Police, I would say the quality of his work stands on it's own.

Now, bite my head off because I have an open mind, and lack your tunnel vision.

As for the penis comment, what does that have to do with his music, unless you wanted to play his skin flute??
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:36 am

I betcha y'all could've guessed my answer: The Police

Sting solo has just been a huge dissapointment for me. I've purchased all of his solo discs and with the exception of "The Dream Of The Blue Turtles" and half of "Nothing Like The Sun" the rest seems woefully uninspired and Sting as an artist seems content to just coast on two chords with a few knowing references to Baudelaire so we're all reminded that he reads. Granted he did this in The Police as well but Stewart and Andy gave him just the right framework.
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:50 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Grunch[/i]
<br>I personally like voth The Police, and Sting as a solor artist. But then again, I did not expect him to try to sound like the Police did as a group. He has written some brilliant songs, and done some incredible cover versions, I don't get it, what is it about his songs, or lyrics, the beats, etc.....that make so many of you say "suck" - sorry, but in my opnion, people with an open mind to music accept growth of artists beyond their former bands, and Sting has certainly done this, to HIS choosing; reggae, jazz, world, and pop and IMO, he does it quite well. Compared to a lot of crap released since the demise of the Police, I would say the quality of his work stands on it's own.

Now, bite my head off because I have an open mind, and lack your tunnel vision.

As for the penis comment, what does that have to do with his music, unless you wanted to play his skin flute??
[/quote]

Grunch, I don't believe that not liking Sting's music is a result of "tunnel vision". As I mentioned in my previous post, I have all of Sting's solo records (including the nifty film music collection import which is IMO the most listenable Sting release ever) and certainly I must have an "open mind" if I continue to buy them. I have no problem with an artist moving beyond the sound that established that artist in the first place. Elvis Costello has dabbled in C/W, R-n-B, Chamber Music, et al and I'm open to anything he puts out. In fact on of my all-time favorite artists, Bobby Darin jumped from genre to genre with expertise and authority which makes him that much more exciting. My taste in music encompasses Country, Soul, Jazz, Classical as well as the entire spectrum of Rock (probably leaning heavily to the first 15 years of it).
I can appreciate Sting's attempts to broaden his musical horizons but the end result just comes off very bland to these ears.
You can't make the mistake of thinking that if someone does'nt like a particular artist than they must have a closed mind. That's unfair. I could wax rhapsodic about Paul McCartney's solo career but I know for certain that there'll be just as many people out there who'll think I'm crazy. It's all opinion and everyone has there reasons.[:)]
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby red x red » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:59 am

I think y ou all have covered this topic in much more detain than I can provide. I love the Police, but I also really liked some of Sting's solo work. I received a copy of "Dream of the Blue Turtle" while I was in South America, and it was a lifeline to American Music. Sting developed into a more mature musician as his career proceeded, but no one can doubt that there is magic in the Police works.
red x red
The Jet Set

Postby ghosty » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:00 am

I'd just like to add that I may be biased against Sting because I played him on MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch and he was defeated by Phil Collins which was just not right![8D]
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:05 am

Ghosty, I am speaking really to those who can only find the word "suck" in their vocabulary, because no matter how you slice it, clearly the music doesn't suck, that is about as negative a comment one can make. Not caring for his material is one thing, I don't care for lots of artists, but I don't think their music sucks. To me though, for those saying Sting's music "sucks" I am sorry that is close minded. You don;t have to like it, but sucks???? You may not have even been one to desribe his music as such.

By the way, wax away all you wish about McCartney, I am a huge fan of his solo career also. I am guessing you have tons of McC's b-sides and bonus tracks??? There are tons, I have hunted down tons of them.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:30 am

Well, in a previous post I ripped into him but since I have all his records I clearly must like something there or at the very least a song or two off each record (lol).

I've spent the better part of my life tracking down McCartney b-sides and the cliche is true: Some of these tracks should have been on his albums. "Oh Woman Oh Why?" "Lovliest Thing" "Kicked Around No More" I could go on and on. Paul's Oobu Joobu radio show was a veritable teasure trove of unreleased or rare tracks and I was fortunate enough to get used copies of his remastered back catalog with bonus tracks (b-sides). Considering McCartney's stature, this man's solo ouvre is in sorry shape and needs the deluxe remastering and repackaging treatment.

I've never understood the derision Paul's solo career has had to endure from fans and critics alike. Are they expecting "Sgt.Pepper" every year? Some of his very best songwriting can be found on those solo albums.

...and it's simply unforgiveable that there is'nt a comprhensive box set out there.
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:06 am

Agree with you there. Maybe we ought to compare b-sides in an e-mail some time and swap CD-R's if we both have some the other needs. I will admit, I do have TONS of them, but I know there must be others I am still missing.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:48 am

Sure, send me a want-list.

ghostysshow@yahoo.com
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:47 am

alright kimiiii, I'm telling mom what you did.........
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:50 am

ghosty, I don;t really have a want list for Sir McCartney now, only because I actually don;t know of anything I am missing (I am sure I am missing, but not sure what) - how about we just exchange McC song lists via email and compare, then swap what each needs??
grunch@hotmail.com
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:41 am

Okay, I'll draw up a list of what I think would be rare McCartney tracks. I have all the albums plus side projects (Thrillington,The Fireman) etc. and e-mail it out to you this weekend.

Kimiii, I thought you were going to adopt me? I'm waiting on that paperwork.[:D]
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:58 am

ghosty, I'll compare your list to mine and let you know what I have that is not on your list
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby imchett » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:39 pm

The Fonz Says AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA[:D]
imchett
Running Up That Hill

Postby ghosty » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:19 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by kimiiii[/i]
<br>Ghosty, can you relocate to Utah? As the good Mom that I am, I will encourage your little interest in this broadcasting hobby and set up your own studio in the guest bedroom.

But no McCartney. That's the one condition. And no girls in your room either. And no food, absolutely no food. And I'll decorate it so you won't hang those Farrah Faucett posters all over the walls. And no tv. Especially if it has a game system attached to it. Don't give me the lame excuse about it developing good hand/eye coordination... I used that one on my parents with the Pong and Atari, buddy boy! And no phoneline of your own. And no internet. If you want to use a computer, I have a perfectly fine Commodore 64 in the den.

So, Ghosty, come to Mama!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Holy Smokes! Had no idea you were such a harsh Mom. Girls in my room would'nt be a problem. I live on my own and I STILL can't make that happen.

...but no McCartney? That's inhumane! I could understand not blasting "Wings Wildlife" at 3am maybe....
ghosty
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions