Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Police vs. Sting Vote NOW

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby ghosty » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:23 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by kimiiii[/i]
<br>So did you just back out of our adoption proceedings? Dang. And I had purchased all of that antenna, mic, control board, broadcasting stuff off of Ebay this morning. And I wallpapered the room in baby blue plaid, with little airplanes.

[/quote]

Little airplanes?? I'm there!!
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby Rubbeet921 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:25 pm

After all that... AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! [}:)] [:p]

Ok, now back to the main topic: It's still THE POLICE!!! But I still like some songs of Sting with all the reggae influence dominating...
Rubbeet921
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:31 pm

This from the Hartford Courant the other day about Elvis Costello's new "The Delivery Man" roots rock album:

"Most pop musicians Elvis Costello's age aren't good for much more than the musical equivalent of creeping along in the left lane with the blinker on. Their creativity long since dormant, such artists insist on churning out material they would have found embarrassing when they were haughty young rock stars. This shall henceforth be known as the Sting Effect."

LOL! I wish I wrote this!! It was doubly troubling to see the Police in "Urgh! A Music War" to remember how vital they were in the "good ole days".

BTW, they loved the new Elvis album.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:41 am

Yep, EC still has that look, sometimes a bit scruffy but cool Costello, same voice, and for me, the man can do just about any genre he decides quite well. From Almost Blue to his Bacharach stuff, I just like the guy. Still married to Diana Krall, an excellent jazz vocalist internationally popular in her own right.

You know, Costello seems to be an acquired taste, becuase I have friends who just hate his sound, even the older stuff in his more iconic days, and then there are those of us who liked him from the moment he opened his mouth and let a song come out.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby Rubbeet921 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:00 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Grunch[/i]
<br>Yep, EC still has that look, sometimes a bit scruffy but cool Costello, same voice, and for me, the man can do just about any genre he decides quite well. From Almost Blue to his Bacharach stuff, I just like the guy. Still married to Diana Krall, an excellent jazz vocalist internationally popular in her own right.

You know, Costello seems to be an acquired taste, becuase I have friends who just hate his sound, even the older stuff in his more iconic days, and then there are those of us who liked him from the moment he opened his mouth and let a song come out.
[/quote]

Yeah, you're right Grunch. I also like his voice a lot and the way he sings. I got a copy of his album "Brutal Youth" which I really love, whereas on the other hand, a friend of mine gave away the same CD album coz he didn't like it. [:X]
Rubbeet921
Room at the Top

Postby toyah » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:13 am

It was all downhill for the Police after they stopped serving as Cherry Vanilla's backup band!
http://www.cherry-vanilla.com
toyah
The Jet Set

Postby Spaz » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:57 am

The Police were fantastic.....for the first three albums.

Since then, Sting's arrogance has taken a front seat while energy, excitement, dynamics and great songwriting have been tossed out the window like chewed gum and smoldering cigarettes.

Da Doo Doo Doo has been replaced by Da Dumb Dumb Dumb
Spaz
The Jet Set

Postby Natephish » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:12 am

A. The Police were fantastic (at first). Sting's solo woek just doesn't measure up to early Police.
Natephish
Personal Jesus

Postby Quite Life » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:05 pm

About 2 years ago UNCUT did a feature on The Police. My conclusion and what I remember from back in the day is that the magic of the Police may have come from the eccentric and enrgetic drummer

Stewart Copeland. Copeland from the early days was the nucuelus of the Police but ater the success in the UK in internationally of Reggatta de Blanc the ego of Sting began to take center stage and the band start to turn in the wrong direction. The first 3 LP for sure were great even Ghost was dark and edgy but Syncronicity was to pop. Syncronicity was like a solo album for Sting and the rest of the band memberes began to resent him because of those sessions during the recording of Syncronicity probly to the point that the band had to beak up and to the point that they will never reform. Which seeing Sting how he is, this is a good thing.

jr
Quite Life
Room at the Top

Postby retroman » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:19 pm

To me it is a draw. The Police were up there with Duran Duran, Blondie, and The Cars as the most successful New Wave outfits.
Sting on his own is pure genius. His albums and lyrics are rich. I like Dream of the Blue Turtles, Soul Cages (my very favourite), and Ten Summners Tales. A good song will visually take you to a place. With Sting, you can write a short story or novella based on some of his songs.
retroman
Take On Me

Postby randy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:09 am

Correct me if I am wrong , but wasn't Stewert Copeland also Klark Kent?
randy
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:50 am

Yes, Randy you are correct.
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:11 am

Klark Kent's LP is also worth having, aside from it's Police connection.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby randy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:47 pm

Here was a decent one.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby latebar » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:01 am

I cant vote as Police & Sting make totally different kinds of music all togather.

They both are brilliant!
latebar
The Jet Set

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions