Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Italo Disco/Eurodance

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Italo Disco/Eurodance

Postby Marilyn » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:23 pm

Anybody into this kind of music?

If so, you [b]need[/b] to see this site:

http://www.danceanddisco.com (click on 80s)

I love this stuff! :D
Marilyn
Take On Me

Postby Marilyn » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:26 pm

I just realized I put this in the wrong section.

This should be in the Genre section. Sorry. :(
Marilyn
Take On Me

Postby dcs84 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:20 am

Marilyn,
Thank you, you have succeeded in doing in a couple of keystrokes what I haven't achieved in 34 years of living - finally view a Gazebo video clip, not just one but two, and all the other gems on this site like Sandra, Alphaville, Falco, and Double. What a great site.

Thanks.
dcs84
Take On Me

Postby Marilyn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:38 am

[quote]Originally posted by dcs84
[br]Marilyn,
Thank you, you have succeeded in doing in a couple of keystrokes what I haven't achieved in 34 years of living - finally view a Gazebo video clip, not just one but two, and all the other gems on this site like Sandra, Alphaville, Falco, and Double. What a great site.

Thanks.
[/quote]

You are so welcome! When I found the site, I near peed my pants I was soooo happy! So much good stuff on there. It literally bogs my mind that I totally missed hearing these gems the first time around.

So I wanted to share this wonderful resource with everybody. :)
Marilyn
Take On Me

Postby christsmasher » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:57 am

I'M into it! Thanks so much, Marilyn!

I'm part of a DJ collective called The Electric Workers, everyone has their own style, but we all tend to focus on the Ital-disco, old Electro with some new treats thrown in. I'm gonna forward this link, they'll LOVE IT!

Best wishes,

CS
christsmasher
Take On Me

Postby Sean » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:16 am

I have been a big fan of Italo/Euro Disco for over 20 years now. I can never understand why a lot of New Wavers don't get into this stuff. A lot of the songs are really synthie and have great melodies and hooks. Anyways, I have always loved collecting these rare 12" singles. Here are my top 5 of all times:

1) Call My Name - Lisa G
2) Help Me Through The Summer - Neil Smith
3) Only Music Survives - Alba
4) Take A Moment - Cherry
5) Six Two Eight - Europe

I also love all of the popular bands such as Savage, Gazebo, Silent Circle, Bad Boys Blue, Modern Talking, F.R. David, C.C. Catch, Sandra, etc.

Sean
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Marilyn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:42 am

[quote]Originally posted by christsmasher
[br]I'M into it! Thanks so much, Marilyn!

I'm part of a DJ collective called The Electric Workers, everyone has their own style, but we all tend to focus on the Ital-disco, old Electro with some new treats thrown in. I'm gonna forward this link, they'll LOVE IT!

Best wishes,

CS
[/quote]

That's awesome! A couple other DJs and myself are going to start a monthly Italo/Euro Disco night here in Philadelphia. We feel there are probably so many people that either did or still like this type of music that if they hear of a night dedicated to it, they'll come out of the woodwork! I really hope so.

I hope you and your friends enjoy the site! :)
Marilyn
Take On Me

Postby Marilyn » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:52 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Sean[/i]
<br>I have been a big fan of Italo/Euro Disco for over 20 years now. I can never understand why a lot of New Wavers don't get into this stuff.

I also love all of the popular bands such as Savage, Gazebo, Silent Circle, Bad Boys Blue, Modern Talking, F.R. David, C.C. Catch, Sandra, etc.

Sean[/quote]

It's essentially the same music except the artists never caught on outside of Europe. There are some awesome names associated with these genres... the ones you mentioned as well as Fancy, Silver Pozzoli, Fred Ventura, Miko Mission, Raff, Righeira, Scotch, The Twins, Magazine 60... and of course some of the bigger names that actually did cross-over were Falco, Trans-X, and Baltimora.

Great stuff! Enjoy the site. :)
Marilyn
Take On Me

Postby InvisibleMan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:54 pm

Yeah, Den Harrow, Mike Mareen, max-Him, Fun Fun, Spagna, Joy Peters, Mozzart, Laban, Blue System are all my faves from 80's.... great music that was. Not to mention some other artists mentioned above. There were also many lesser known artists that only released 1 or 2 singles (like Solid Strangers, Michael Bedford, Jules the list goes on and on)

I think the most successful italo artist in US is Baltimora (Tarzan Boy), which was a bit cheesey. But Baltimora's "Chinese Restaurant" is fabulous romantic synth... one of the 80's best.

Also One Night in Banqok by Murray Head was a great italo track from Sweden that was popular in the States.....cool rap too [:)]

Pet Shop Boys also represented that style early in their career... but with more intellectual lyrics
InvisibleMan
The Jet Set

Postby Bitter Almonds » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:03 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by InvisibleMan[/i]
<br>Yeah, Den Harrow, Mike Mareen, max-Him, Fun Fun, Spagna, Joy Peters, Mozzart, Laban, Blue System are all my faves from 80's.... great music that was. Not to mention some other artists mentioned above. There were also many lesser known artists that only released 1 or 2 singles (like Solid Strangers, Michael Bedford, Jules the list goes on and on)

I think the most successful italo artist in US is Baltimora (Tarzan Boy), which was a bit cheesey. But Baltimora's "Chinese Restaurant" is fabulous romantic synth... one of the 80's best.

Also One Night in Banqok by Murray Head was a great italo track from Sweden that was popular in the States.....cool rap too [:)]

Pet Shop Boys also represented that style early in their career... but with more intellectual lyrics

[/quote]

Don't forget F.R. David and Modern Talking. Believe it or not, they were huge worldwide in the early 80s. Damn, I absolutely love F.R. David's "Words". [b]It is the best song ever made!!!eleventeen!1!~![/b][8D]
Bitter Almonds
Room at the Top

Postby DJ Wave » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:40 am

Catch my show on Saturday March 4th on Flashback Alternatives, I threw a few into the mix. I do a dance themed show every few shows and often use a few Italo Disco/Eurodance/Hi-NRG tunes in the mix.

http://www.flashbackalternatives.com

Retropolis
Saturdays - 9 PM EST
Sundays - 3 AM EST

Broadcast around the world!
DJ Wave
Personal Jesus

Postby st arry » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:05 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Sean[/i]
<br>I have been a big fan of Italo/Euro Disco for over 20 years now. I can never understand why a lot of New Wavers don't get into this stuff. A lot of the songs are really synthie and have great melodies and hooks. Anyways, I have always loved collecting these rare 12" singles. Here are my top 5 of all times:

1) Call My Name - Lisa G
2) Help Me Through The Summer - Neil Smith
3) Only Music Survives - Alba
4) Take A Moment - Cherry
5) Six Two Eight - Europe

Sean

[/quote]

Lisa G's Call My Name is also one of my big favourites. A good example of how Italo can be very inventive and not necessarily just the cliched view of it just being light fluff. Only Music Survives is another strong one. Both will be on youtube I think.

As I said in the genre/style forum though it's better to look at Italo as Italian New Wave (as there are enough similarities to NW) rather than to say it's a completely different style of music.
st arry
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Clarko » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:13 am

I have only been aware of Italo Disco for a year or two, but I'm getting really into it now. Just got the 50 volume "I Love Disco Diamonds" as a good starting point. Really loving Radiorama, Hot Cold, Magidan,'lectric workers, among many others.

I really wish there were italo dance parties around here...I guess I'll just have to go to Chicago where I hear they have alot of them!

-Sam
Clarko
Running Up That Hill

Postby st arry » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:08 pm

I've only been looking at it for about three years really. I probably liked Gazebo's I Like Chopin and Ryan Paris's La Dolce Vita and just wanted to hear more of the stuff. Not really aware of it in the 80s, but most of it apparently never traveled far outside of Northern Italy anyway.
st arry
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Sean » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:44 am

Warning on Italo Disco, it's extremely addictive. Once you catch onto the sound, you can never get enough of it. I've been collecting Italo Disco since 1984. The first two songs I heard from this genre is Gazebo's "Love In Your Eyes" and Savage's "Only You". I remember going to the independent Italo/Euro record stores in Southern California and just staring at all of the incredible records that you never see at the regular stores. The 12" singles were all 7.99 each and for a young high school kid, that's a whole lot of money, especially with domestic 12" singles being only 3.99. Luckily I dug up the money and got a lot of these. I ended being poor but happy.
Sean
Room at the Top

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions