Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Neeva

Inquiries and discussions about new wave artists and what happened to them.

Neeva

Postby newwavepopman » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:12 am

Does anyone at all remember this girl/boy combo from Canada from 1982 or so? They were on a Canadian label called Quality,and had this one great album.Songs on the album featured some great songs such as Starshine,Tomorrow's On It's Way,and In Tune. So does anyone know whatever became of this group,or at least ever heard of them and their one sole album?
newwavepopman
The Jet Set

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:05 pm

There was an album? Wow, never seen that. I have the 12" of "Will You Be Mine." And I taped the "Blue Star" video when MTV 2 showed it in their marathon thingy five years ago. I watched MTV for hours at a stretch in '82, and you know I never once saw it then.

The guy's real name is James Nevius.
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby Ollie Stench » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:02 am

I've got the LP. Haven't listened to it in a few years but I remember liking it. I've got a trader in Germany looking for a copy, so if anyone sees an extra please let me know.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby whistledog » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:16 am

I have not heard of Neeva, but I might have to look into his music. Quality Records was a big label in Canada. In the late 70's and early 80's, they brought high class dance acts, but in 1985, they took over for K-Tel Canada and began releasing compilation albums of top 40 hits, just like K-Tel did [:)]
whistledog
Personal Jesus

Postby gilson80boy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:32 pm

Just bought the album about a month ago, not cheap, but well worth the investment. 1982 Quality Records Limited.
gilson80boy
Personal Jesus

Postby spartantrader » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:38 am

I have been looking for info on this band since I was introduced to the "Blue Star" video back on the M2 A to Z marathon in 2000 also. I am very interested in getting their songs/LP in MP3 if anyone can help. Will gladly swap back anything I have in return.
Thanks in advance
Michael
spartantrader
Take On Me

Postby Panorama » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:21 pm

Does anyone know the name of the Neeva album with Blue Star on it?
Also what track # was Blue Star?
Does anyone have the entire album track listing?

Thanks

---------------------------
"Photography with a Vision"
http://www.cooganphoto.com
Panorama
Room at the Top

Postby Neever » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:29 am

I am actually somewhat intimately connected to the band. Is there any interest in material? How widespread?

FYI - The band was from NYC. Quality was simply the distributer.

A video of Blu Star was done and aired on MTV on light rotation. The recored died because there was no backing from the label. Then, once you get a rep for being dropped, other labels lose interest.

Almost enough material was recorded for a second record, but it may be difficult to secure the masters. They are in many different places in the hands of people who don't talk anymore.

There may be a possibility of releasing the album with bonus tracks if the interest is sufficient.
Neever
Running Up That Hill

Postby darwinsky » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:33 am

Wow! Another new-wave artist sighting! I can recall at least 3 in this board.

dar
darwinsky
Personal Jesus

Postby spartantrader » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:29 am

A year has almost past since I posted about Neeva and I still haven't heard any more of their music. If the rest of their songs are even close to Blue Star, I would buy it!
spartantrader
Take On Me

Postby Panorama » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:36 am

Vanessa from Neeva emailed me today (in response to my post above) with some info about the band. Hopefully she does not mind my posting the information -- nothing too personal or scandalous. pretty cool about the connection to Our Daughters Wedding as well -- I wish all these amazing bands would get their music on itunes, so people like us could buy it and give them the royalties they deserve. It can't cost that much to digitize the music and make it available through itunes.

on 7/8/06 Vanessa Nevius wrote:

First off, you photography is fantastic!  I have looked it over and over on your site!  Just fantastic! 
The songs on the album are: Starshine, Love, Blue Star, In Tune Seventeen, Walking on Air, Let your Body Go, Will you be mine, Tomorrown's on it's Way.

We recorded enough to make two albums.  Jim and I were married at the time and when to record was in Canada to be pressed we still did not have a name for the band so our managers called and said we need to come up with something now!  So they put my last name and my first name together and got Neeva.  (Vanessa Nevius)  I broke off from and band that was formed by three of us Keith, Lane and myself.  It was called Our Daughters Wedding.  I got the name from a blank photo album that was sent to me from my mother that had the sticky labels in it.  I stuck them on 45 sleeves until I found one that looked good.  Jim came from a band called Neighbors and Allies.  They used to play around New Jersey with Brian Setzer, The Stray Cats.  After I left Jim and I split I hooked up with the producer TJ Tindall and he and I got married and we did another recording just called Vanessa.  I like it better! I had Billy Squires guys play on it and Bunny Siegler.

I don't remember Jim really knowing what Blue Star really meant.  The video when you look at it now looks really silly.  But back then the first time they played it on MTV they had a party for us.  It was played right after Michael Jacksons Thriller at 9PM.  We had a great slot.
LOVE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY!  You are a terrific photographer! 
Vanessa

---------------------------
"Photography with a Vision"
http://www.cooganphoto.com
Panorama
Room at the Top

Postby Neever » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:36 pm

We may see some postings of other material, if some decent copies can be obtained, on a web site, something like garageband.com. But that won't be until some time in August.

The search is on for the stuff.

Interesting to see Vanessa contacting interested parties on this forum.

Looks like some people may be talking again.

More info:

There is some live stuff. The band could do everything live in the day when no midi was available.

The ODW connection and the Neighbors and Allies connection is, yes, a part of the family tree. Vanessa is correct.

There is a recording, a demo, where Vanessa (Neeva, ODW,) Scott Simon (Neighbors and Allies, ODW,) Keith Silva (ODW,) Gordon Zuelke (Neighbors, ODW,) Tim McGeary (Neighbors, The Rescue, Wonderful Johnson,) and Jim (Neighbors, Neeva,) all play together. It was a demo meant for another project that actually turned into Neighbors and Allies. It is quite an incestuous family tree at that.

Blu Star, well, it is a metaphor, don't you think?
Neever
Running Up That Hill

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:13 am

I feel left out. I didn't get any email. I hope Vanessa's not mad at me for forgetting to mention her. I'm sorry!

Still don't have the LP, although I really haven't been looking very hard for it. There are a couple copies over at gemm now, at least.

I just capped my copy of the video if anyone here hasn't seen it...

Blue Star
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 7C25C33250
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:58 pm

If anybody downloaded the video I posted above, could you be so kind as to take a minute out of your day as to either post a new yousendit link with it or click the email link in my profile and send an attachment to me? I absentmindedly chucked it into the recycling bin, and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask before I go through the trouble of re-recapping it.

Thanks in advance.
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby spartantrader » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:15 am

Here it is again. The music video for Neeva's Blue Star
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... A51493B5E2

Hope this link works
Michael
spartantrader
Take On Me

Next

Return to Whatever happened to? / Where are they now?