Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bands that I thought arent New Wave but are

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby geoffolehane » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:29 am

Tragic Magic said:
Hmm am interested in peoples opinions: what exactly is the difference between New Romantic and New Wave.

My opinion is that New Romantrics were more than a type of music. They were a whole culture of flamboyant dress-up, fabulously permed hair and make-up with a type of music that was entirely synthesizer based with a dance beat. Disco was basically dead by the time the New Romantics hit around 1979-1980 but the club scene was alive with music that, for all intents and purposes, was disco without the soul. The beat was still there but the high voices (ala Bee Gees) were not.

Gone were the gold chains, slick-backed hair, and white shirts unbuttoned to the stomach. Now people wore something you might see in a French fashion magazine with hairstyles you might see in "The Fearless Vampire Killers"

Again, you asked for my opinion and I gave it.
geoffolehane
The Jet Set

Postby beautifulmutant101 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:41 am

Devo, not new wave? What galaxy are you from? As far as I'm concerned, Devo, Gary Numan and XTC drew the blueprint.
beautifulmutant101
Take On Me

Postby newwavepunkgirl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:40 pm

From answers.com:

new wave
n.

1. often New Wave
1. A movement in French cinema in the 1960s, led by directors such as Jean Luc Godard and François Truffaut, that abandoned traditional narrative techniques in favor of greater use of symbolism and abstraction and dealt with themes of social alienation, psychopathology, and sexual love. Also called nouvelle vague.
2. Any of various new movements in cinema, especially one led by a group of experimental filmmakers.
2. An avant-garde or experimental movement, as in the arts.
3. Music. A style of rock music popularized in the early 1980s, marked by the use of synthesizers.

[Translation of French nouvelle vague : nouvelle, new + vague, wave.]

Plus it pretty much says that on any of them, so maybe that makes The Police post-punk rather than new wave then?Maybe post-punk is just guitars and new wave is with synths?

Devolution is real
newwavepunkgirl
Personal Jesus

Postby djcraig » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:40 am

Artists that are not New Wave:

Corey Hart- tried to be New Wave but failed. Nice shades though.

Wham- didn't quite have the "edge" of say, Culture Club.

Cutting Crew- middle of the road rock with synthesizers.

The Cult- Metal but I still like 'em.

Murray Head- Why KROQ played "One Night In Bangkok" back in the day is still a mystery. Then again, a little coke in the right hands went a long way back then.

Opus- "Live Is Life" is Worldmusic. Crappy Worldmusic.

Thompson Twins- started as New Wave, ended up as embarrassing bubblegum rock.

The Flirts- irritating disco masquerading as something more.

What others can you think of that were not New Wave?

<a href= http://

<a href="http://www.djcraig.net/">DJ Craig</a>
djcraig
Room at the Top

Postby beautifulmutant101 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:22 am

This may well provoke howls of outrage, but I'm going to say it anyway: Ian Dury.
beautifulmutant101
Take On Me

Postby seffe » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:16 am

I would say that brit-pop started late 80s. Have you forgoten about Stone Roses (Sally Cinnamon was released i 1987), EMF, Charlatans?

[quote][i]Originally posted by guyinsf[/i]
<br>The term Brit pop didn't even exist when these bands started their careers in the late 70's and brit pop was never really a legit category, it was more of a general description of young british bands that came out of the early 90's like Blur and Oasis, the press coined these bands as Brit pop in order to give them some leverage against the growing popularity of American grunge which happened at the same time. If you ask me, grunge and brit pop all had their origins in the original new wave/punk movement. I'd say all those bands listed are pretty much new wave, except Industry cuz I'm not familiar with them. Also, New Romantics was simply a sub-category of NW and another fancy term the media came up with, also AKA PEACOCK PUNKS.
[/quote]
seffe
Personal Jesus

Postby rotator » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:11 am

Yes on all of them.
rotator
Room at the Top

Postby jumpshift » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:21 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by djcraig[/i]
<br>Artists that are not New Wave:

Murray Head- Why KROQ played "One Night In Bangkok" back in the day is still a mystery. Then again, a little coke in the right hands went a long way back then.

[/quote]

One night in Bangkok is featured on Volume 14 of the just can't get enough new wave series compilations. And so is sunglasses at night. Goes to show KROQ played a lot of wide variety back in the day. Thompson Twins however were always New Wave.
jumpshift
The Jet Set

Postby enzfan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:51 am

How about Go West, Cock Robin or Billy Idol?
enzfan
Room at the Top

Postby empyrean » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:16 am

Nice opinions guys. I have this new set of bands that im having second thoughts if they are new wave. How would you categorize them?

1. The Vapors (turning japanese)
2. Men At Work (down under)
3. Eurhythmics (sweet dreams)
4. The Romantics? (talking in your sleep)
5. UB40 (red red wine)

Confirm please. Thanks
empyrean
Room at the Top

Postby DSR » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:28 am

What's this? Another trick?[8D] I hope you'll not use the names of WXB102 and DZBM POWER105 this time as your source because all of these bands were included on their playlist since you're not hooked up to these radio stations before.[;)]

[:)]An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
DSR
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby suttonrecords » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:50 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by paul simpson[/i]
<br>Nice opinions guys. I have this new set of bands that im having second thoughts if they are new wave. How would you categorize them?

1. The Vapors (turning japanese)
2. Men At Work (down under)
3. Eurhythmics (sweet dreams)
4. The Romantics? (talking in your sleep)
5. UB40 (red red wine)

Confirm please. Thanks
[/quote]

Uhhhhh, all of these were staples on WXB 102...and they still play them, too...

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
http://www.suttonrecords.com
suttonrecords
Personal Jesus

Postby suttonrecords » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:55 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by djcraig[/i]
<br>Artists that are not New Wave:

[/quote]

The Cult, pre-"Electric," was definitely not heavy metal. Have you heard "Dreamtime"? I know metalheads who can't stomach the Cult's early stuff, not even "Rain" or "Revolution." They called it "art fag" rock. As for Cutting Crew, you probably haven't heard "Any Colour" and "Sahara" from their first LP. I think when you summarize New Wave into a narrow definition, you'll lose much of its different flavors.

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
http://www.suttonrecords.com
suttonrecords
Personal Jesus

Postby empyrean » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:34 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by DSR[/i]
<br>What's this? Another trick?[8D] I hope you'll not use the names of WXB102 and DZBM POWER105 this time as your source because all of these bands were included on their playlist since you're not hooked up to these radio stations before.[;)]

[:)]An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
DSR
[/quote]Sorry New Wave Master. Im just asking for opinions. If you dont want to answer its fine with me. Im 34 yrs old and i practically grew listening to New Wave music but maybe im not that deep compared to you. I wore Creepers shoes during my high school days and i dont comb my hair. I had about 200 cassette tapes of new wave as the cd isnt popular at that time. I listened to DWXB but not all the time. DZBM is the station that im familiar with, and my fave dj is The Doctor. There is also these female dj ( i forgot her name, who dedicates the song Broken Land by The Adventures or Nothing Compares To You by Sinead O'Connor to her boyfriend before she leaves. Yes i also listen to DWRT, and i knew that Social Distortion Mobile and Central Distraction supplied most of the materials in some of their programs. Currently i im listening to K Lite Light Wave. Its just that these bands that i mentioned were included in other Pop compilations that i have seen. And its not a trick.

Peace Man!

time in limited supply,under threat of extinction,that indefinable nothing, somehow motivates you, finding the right words, can be a problem,
empyrean
Room at the Top

Postby fanciz » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:19 am

Yeah Peace man!

Your question about Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet might sound weird to some but somehow it makes sense. I can only talk for myself but those 2 bands caught first my attention in the 80's.... Then came Tears For Fears and then through Jingle mag I discovered XB102. My outlook for music took a 90° turn and I developed a liking for The Smiths, The Cure, Gene Loves Jezebel, Bauhaus, Depeche Mode etc, etc It came to a point when I started to dislike commercial sounding bands like Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, OMD, Human League, Erasure and yes 20 years later, maybe like you, I found myself wondering whether those bands were really new wave.... but yes they were albeit no longer as evidenced by the latest crapy album of Duran Duran. [:)]

http://de.music.yahoo.com/launchcast/st ... 1249492395
fanciz
The Jet Set

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions