Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Bands that I thought arent New Wave but are

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby beautifulmutant101 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:15 am

Vapours-definitely.
Men At Work-no, but I kinda like 'em.
Eurhythmics-absofreakinlutely.
Romantics-watered down powerpop (but the first album kicks bootay).
UB40-not at all what I consider new wave.
beautifulmutant101
Take On Me

Postby glokstadt » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:26 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by djcraig[/i]
<br>Artists that are not New Wave:

The Cult - Metal but I still like 'em.

[/quote]

From what I remember they went metal after a while... From the LPs I have, and I have not looked at them to post this, I think the 1st album they called themselves The Southern Ddeath Cult, the next LP they were The Death Cult, and then parred themselves down to just The Cult! Anyone remember better or differently? [?]
glokstadt
Room at the Top

Postby glokstadt » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:39 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by paul simpson[/i]
<br>How would you categorize them?

1. The Vapors
2. Men At Work
3. The Eurhythmics
4. The Romantics
5. UB40

Confirm please. Thanks
[/quote]

IMO, 1) Power Pop, 2) New Wave (Oz Rock?), 3) New Wave (w/syths), 4) Power Pop, and 5) British Reggae, too bad they didn't do the ska and rocksteady covers correctly on Labour Of Love, like they did on Labour Of Love II.
glokstadt
Room at the Top

Postby Frank_Chickens » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:26 pm

1. Duran Duran
2. Spandau Ballet
3. Devo
4. Industry
5. The Police

Btw, they're certainly NOT Britpop!! [:D]

To your points:

1. New Romantic
2. New Romantic/White Soul
3. Synthpop
4. Synthpop/New Wave
5. White Reggae

--

"As chairman of the Cradle of Filth fanclub I'm the most insensitive man in Britain, but even I can see there's tension there"
Frank_Chickens
Room at the Top

Postby newwavepunkgirl » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:49 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by suttonrecords[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by djcraig[/i]
<br>Artists that are not New Wave:

Corey Hart- tried to be New Wave but failed. Nice shades though.

Wham- didn't quite have the "edge" of say, Culture Club.

Cutting Crew- middle of the road rock with synthesizers.

The Cult- Metal but I still like 'em.

Murray Head- Why KROQ played "One Night In Bangkok" back in the day is still a mystery. Then again, a little coke in the right hands went a long way back then.

Opus- "Live Is Life" is Worldmusic. Crappy Worldmusic.

Thompson Twins- started as New Wave, ended up as embarrassing bubblegum rock.

The Flirts- irritating disco masquerading as something more.

What others can you think of that were not New Wave?

<a href= http://

<a href="http://www.djcraig.net/">DJ Craig</a>
[/quote]

The Cult, pre-"Electric," was definitely not heavy metal. Have you heard "Dreamtime"? I know metalheads who can't stomach the Cult's early stuff, not even "Rain" or "Revolution." They called it "art fag" rock. As for Cutting Crew, you probably haven't heard "Any Colour" and "Sahara" from their first LP. I think when you summarize New Wave into a narrow definition, you'll lose much of its different flavors.

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
http://www.suttonrecords.com
[/quote]

Yeah The Cult were goth to start off with and goths didn't listen to heavy metal much back then, now goth and heavy metal seems to have gotten merged although personally I consider goth to have more in common with punk...

Devolution is real
newwavepunkgirl
Personal Jesus

Postby djcraig » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:59 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by suttonrecords[/i]

As for Cutting Crew, you probably haven't heard "Any Colour" and "Sahara" from their first LP. I think when you summarize New Wave into a narrow definition, you'll lose much of its different flavors.

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
[/quote]

No, I haven't heard them. I am willing to bet that a large majority haven't as well. And that obscurity relegates those songs to irrelevance for the purpose of this discussion. Be it fair or not, The Cutting Crew most people know is based on their one hit.

Johnny Rotten may have played classical music in his Mom's basement late at night, who knows. But the Johnny "we" as a group culture know was based largely on what he created that captured the interest of people and actually got played. And it wasn't Beethoven.

I think ANY definition automatically limits the thing it defines. But it can also bring about insight and new perspectives.

In order to label a band New Wave or not (that's what this thread is about), one must have some measuring stick. Some definition. What's yours?

djcraig
Room at the Top

Postby empyrean » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:13 pm

Nice opinions. Im learning a lot on this forum. I am inviting other members to post bands whom they thought were new wave but are not ( if there are any ) and i will see the reactions of others.

Death is a beginning of a new life. If you believe in reincarnation.
empyrean
Room at the Top

Postby DSR » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:33 pm

"Bands that I thought arent NEW WAVE but are" -Good you change the TITLE from "Bands you thought are NEW WAVE but are not". These is a much better title to your thread and it makes a total difference KABAYAN.[;)][;)] I agree to this![8D]

[:)]An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
DSR
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby plagiarism » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:37 am

Midnight Oil? Straight rock or a subgenre of new wave?
plagiarism
Room at the Top

Postby empyrean » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:56 pm

Heres another set o New Wave band that i thought were not.

1. The Knack
2. The Cars
3. Blondie

but after reading alot of threads here, i finally realized that they are New Wave.

Death is a beginning of a new life. If you believe in reincarnation.
empyrean
Room at the Top

Postby suttonrecords » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:24 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by djcraig[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by suttonrecords[/i]

As for Cutting Crew, you probably haven't heard "Any Colour" and "Sahara" from their first LP. I think when you summarize New Wave into a narrow definition, you'll lose much of its different flavors.

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
[/quote]

No, I haven't heard them. I am willing to bet that a large majority haven't as well. And that obscurity relegates those songs to irrelevance for the purpose of this discussion. Be it fair or not, The Cutting Crew most people know is based on their one hit.

Johnny Rotten may have played classical music in his Mom's basement late at night, who knows. But the Johnny "we" as a group culture know was based largely on what he created that captured the interest of people and actually got played. And it wasn't Beethoven.

I think ANY definition automatically limits the thing it defines. But it can also bring about insight and new perspectives.

In order to label a band New Wave or not (that's what this thread is about), one must have some measuring stick. Some definition. What's yours?

[/quote]

Well, if people haven't heard them then they should. The whole point of this forum is to share information. I just don't think it's fair to judge a band without at least doing a little bit of research on their discography. If you're basing relevance on the general consensus and knowledge of the public, then doesn't that clash with the purpose of New Wave being an alternative to the mainstream? For example, to most people in the U.S. Modern English, a-ha, and A Flock of Seagulls are one-hit wonders. The "large majority" of radio listeners are not aware of the other brilliant singles they released in the U.K. which sadly received little notice here; it's the same with Cutting Crew although I don't believe "Sahara" was a single.

Should a-ha, too, be dismissed as a pop group because "Train of Thought" and "Living a Boy's Adventure Tale" didn't "capture the interest of people and actually got played" in America? Who cares about popular opinion or whether or not the masses accepted something? Or group culture? That's the antithesis of the punk philosophy which spawned New Wave, isn't it?

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
suttonrecords
Personal Jesus

Postby waldnorm » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:40 am

Midnight Oil is "Modern Rock"

The term "new wave" was considered "old hat" by 1986--especially since in 1983, "new wave"'s peak, the synthesizer predominated when that originally was not considered a necessary component.

So bands that came onto the scene since 1986 is "modern rock" and many "underground new wave" as well as "gothic" artists became more "mainstream" because "modern rock" stations multiplied by the late 80's due to the popularity of "new wave" and the top 40 stations eventually playing the most saccharine of those tunes. (Then starting in 1992, alternative seemed to begin replacing "modern rock," just to confuse everyone more. It was unfairly associated with the 90's grunge, when "alternative" usually characterized the sound of R.E.M. and the Smithereens beforehand)

As for the others listed above--Eurythmics--not new wave? Are you serious? You could call them "synth pop" the modern term to the synthesizer-heavy new wave--but Eurythmics were definitely in the forefront and influential. Their previous band, the Tourists, would probably be closer to Power Pop, but I'd be tempted to call them new wave as well.
waldnorm
The Jet Set

Postby waldnorm » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:49 am

Blondie really melded in a number of genres--they first hit it big with their "disco" tune, "Heart of Glass," for example in 1979 after a few years being in the underground punk scene in New York. They aARE originally a punk band, and eventually could best be called a post-punk band by 1980 (and they probably were categorized as both "new wave" and "no wave" back in the early 80s, from the New York scene).

The Knack is more power pop, and power pop was played side by side with Devo and M, etc. back then. They're about as new wave as say Cheap Trick (and I'm talking about Cheap Trick of the late 70's, early 80s, not that pop metal crap they did later on).

The Cars is an interesting case--they were played on both new wave stations and AOR stations. As an AOR artist, the Cars would be put in the same category as Asia and 38 Special. But tracks such as "Touch and Go" seem very new-waveish ("Shake It Up" likely as well) and those were played heavily on KROQ (granted, KROQ also played Rolling Stones, Billy Squier, Pat Benatar and Tom Petty, early on-- and they never seemed to let go of Mick Jagger in any of his projects . . .) So what would I call The Cars? Uh . . . an 80s band? :)
waldnorm
The Jet Set

Postby suttonrecords » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:06 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by waldnorm[/i]
<br>Midnight Oil is "Modern Rock"

The term "new wave" was considered "old hat" by 1986--especially since in 1983, "new wave"'s peak, the synthesizer predominated when that originally was not considered a necessary component.

So bands that came onto the scene since 1986 is "modern rock" and many "underground new wave" as well as "gothic" artists became more "mainstream" because "modern rock" stations multiplied by the late 80's due to the popularity of "new wave" and the top 40 stations eventually playing the most saccharine of those tunes. (Then starting in 1992, alternative seemed to begin replacing "modern rock," just to confuse everyone more. It was unfairly associated with the 90's grunge, when "alternative" usually characterized the sound of R.E.M. and the Smithereens beforehand)

As for the others listed above--Eurythmics--not new wave? Are you serious? You could call them "synth pop" the modern term to the synthesizer-heavy new wave--but Eurythmics were definitely in the forefront and influential. Their previous band, the Tourists, would probably be closer to Power Pop, but I'd be tempted to call them new wave as well.
[/quote]

But Midnight Oil released their first album in 1978...

Michael Sutton
CEO/Sutton Records
suttonrecords
Personal Jesus

Re:

Postby Funeral Pyre » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:59 pm

djcraig wrote:Artists that are not New Wave:

Corey Hart- tried to be New Wave but failed. Nice shades though.

It seems that history has been rewritten to put in Corey Hart with New Wave. GTA: Vice City is a good example of this. Did any New Wave/Alternative radio stations even play Corey Hart back in the 80's?

djcraig wrote:Murray Head- Why KROQ played "One Night In Bangkok" back in the day is still a mystery. Then again, a little coke in the right hands went a long way back then.

To be fair, the song doesn't sound out of place in a New Wave/Flashback playlist. Reminds me of "Big In Japan", "China Girl" and other 80's songs about Asia.
Last edited by Funeral Pyre on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funeral Pyre
Switchin' to Glide

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions