Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Rings - Boston band 1981

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby Grunch » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:19 pm

Have both Rings converted to CD, very good quality, quiet, will load on the hub tomorrow (Jan 6th)
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby randy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:29 am

workjobb--any chance you have any mps quality recordings of The Probers or Blind Dates? or even the Detectives "Next Time"? At one time I used to have all the locals on vinyl but now I only have a scattered few.
The Schemers cd of their old works was a great catch a few months back but I would have liked to see the studio version of I Want Some Fun included.
One last thing--I do have the HI-Beams "Hyperactive" in mp3 but it is not the best quality.--I also put it on one of my mix cds a while back.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby workjobb » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:31 am

Unfortunately(or fortunately, depending on your perspective), the only recording I have of the Probers is on vinyl, an ep that was a charity thing for The RI Food Bank. I want to say Jim Beaupre, who was in the Probers, has a solo track, but it's been awhile. Unfortunately, all of my vinyl is in storage right now, and I won't be able to get at it until spring, otherwise if I could find my turntable, I'd rip it to mp3 in a heartbeat. The Probers actually played all over RI and southeastern Mass. virtually every weekend, and I saw them many times. They were a quite good club cover band.
The Detectives I don't recall, but refresh me on the Blind Dates-a few song titles, maybe.
"Hyperactive" is such a great song-I know I have that one on a 45 somewhere. Damn, now that's going to be going through my head all night("Hype-hype-hype-hype-hyperactive"). I may have ripped some of this stuff to CD at one point, but I've got to hunt it down. One song that I've been looking for forever is called "Wanna Make Love" by a group called The Shades. That song personifies nu-wave! I'd like to record some of the old videos onto DVD if anyone from the Boston area back in the day would be interested. I'm going to get into the hub, and if I find some mp3, I'll gladly post them.
workjobb
Switchin' to Glide

Postby workjobb » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:33 am

Wait a second-didn't the Blind Dates do "Tune In To Me"?
workjobb
Switchin' to Glide

Postby EchoBeachBunnyBoy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:39 am

Great 80's Boston bands:

Digney Fignus
November Group
The Lyres
The Outlets
Human Sexual Response
Manufacture
The Fools
Ball & Pivot
New Man
til' Tuesday
Rods & Cones
Lizzie Borden & The Axes
Face To Face
The Sex Execs
The Drive
The Del Fuegos
The Dogmatics

Ah...memories...[^]
EchoBeachBunnyBoy
Personal Jesus

Postby randy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:59 am

I've got the food bank vinyl also.

As for the Probers-help me out. What was the song that went "caught you in the corner of ...my eye"?

Detectives tune went "Next time...next time its gonna be right." They were one of the finalists in BRU'S rock hnut the year the Schemer's won.

2 more bands to stew on---Rash Of Stabbings and Young Adults. Remember the song "Beer"?

Yeah--I need to get onto the hub soon also.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby Elf » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:27 pm

Hi-Beams Hyperactive?? The MOST infectiuos tune of the 80's? (although mostly unknown) Randy,can you send me the file? Would killto have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:p][:p]
Elf
Switchin' to Glide

Postby randy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:18 am

I'll send it--keep in mind the last 2 or 3 seconds are cut off.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby workjobb » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:28 am

The Probers song you're thinking of is "I Saw You Looking". Do believe it was on a WBRU compilation album.
Yes, The Young Adults, definitely tongue in cheek(Rudy Cheeks). "Beer" was a great song, but their signature song is "It's A Complex World", which leads me to a film from the late 80's called "Complex World", which, I believe, was produced by Rich Lupo. At least, the whole thing took place in his club(the original, classic location of Lupo's). It's available on video, but tough to find. I managed to get a previously viewed copy, and it was one of the first films I transferred over when I got my DVD recorder. Young Adults do several songs, and it has an appearance by NRBQ. Captain Lou Albano was one of the stars, that's how bizarre this film is.
Damn, this is way off the subject of this thread-better stop now.
Digney Fignus-"The Girl With The Curious Hand" was a great song. They were a finalist(maybe won?)MTV's Basement Tapes competition. This led to a contract with CBS records, and they released a five or six song e.p. Luckily, unlike the Neighborhoods("Prettiest Girl")and Phil Gentili("Mama Lied"), they didn't rerecord that great song for their major label effort. But it tanked anyway. Great video, though.
If you've never heard Phil Gentili's "Mama Lied", it's well worth seeking out. It's far from new wave, almost a blue-eyed soul pop/doo wop song. It was released locally as an indy single, he was signed by Portrait, as I recall, and when the song was released nationally, it of course, did absolutely nothing. He had one more single, then, oblivion.
It's scary how many bands with potential from the Boston area were signed by major labels in the wake of the Cars' success, only to do nothing as far as national success.
All of the following released albums on major labels:
Private Lightning, Nervous Eaters, the Fools, the Rings, Robert Ellis Orrall, the Atlantics, Berlin Airlift, the Stompers and Human Sexual Response. None were hits, but all were great.
Sorry for rambling in a stream of consciousness, but I love this music.
workjobb
Switchin' to Glide

Postby randy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:27 am

My God!!!!!!!Cannot believe I forgot about Its A Complex World--fantastic tune!! Was Beer actually the b-side or is old age setting in here?
randy
Room at the Top

Postby workjobb » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:52 am

Yes, the single was "It's A Complex World" b/w "Beer". They did have a full length album, "Helping Others", which I have on cassette somewhere. The best song on that(besides "Complex")is "Christmas In Japan In July". So far ahead of their time...
The place to find recordings of the Young Adults, the Probers, and other Rhode Island bands used to be Luke's Record Exchange on Broadway in Pawtucket. I guess it's still there, and I can't imagine it's changed much. You could spend hours looking through vinyl, and Luke's a great guy-a real old time rocker.
workjobb
Switchin' to Glide

Postby randy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:35 pm

Lukes still there-- his son works with him now. Still a great shop where you can find some old gems. I had heard from him about a year ago he was looking to sell the business though.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby randy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:51 pm

Hell--I might just pop in there before this storm comes in and kicks our asses.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby workjobb » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:16 am

Glad to hear Luke's still around-on the RI Food Bank charity album, he's listed as one of the performers on "A Piece Of Our Hearts", the local music community's version of "We Are The World". Good song, but I'm partial to "Surrender To Serenity", as I mentioned previously. In any case, a visit to Luke's Record Exchange when in Rhode Island(home of the greatest food in the world, hot weiners),would be excellent time spent.
I feel for you, Randy, I'm 150 miles north of you guys up in NH, and we're not going to get clobbered with the storm like southeastern Mass and RI!
workjobb
Switchin' to Glide

Postby workjobb » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:27 am

Well, I was just going through some stuff and found a CD of MP3s I had ripped a few years back of Boston bands. It has the Hi Beams' "Hyperactive", "Mama Lied", a few songs by Pastiche, the Atlantics, Berlin Airlift, the Elevators, Digney Fignus, the Hot Dates, the Mundanes, Jim Beaupre, Peter Dayton Band, Robin Lane, and the Trademarks. I'd love to upload this to the hub, if someone can tell me how to get on there. Drop me an e-mail.
workjobb
Switchin' to Glide

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions