Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Rings - Boston band 1981

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby randy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:58 pm

Im not yet on the hub either , but would still love to get hold of that music!!!! (May never get on at my rate-very limited space)
randy
Room at the Top

Postby eddieo45 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:45 am

I kept thinking I'd have something to add to this great thread, but workjobb just added Pastiche (Mr. Curt!), Peter Dayton Band (late of LaPeste), and The Elevators ("Stickball Kids", a classic!). Did anyone say SexExecs? Do us all a favor--download Limewire.com and share those files! My searches for LaPeste, Elevators, Peter Dayton, Lyres, and others keep coming up empty...
...Are The Real Kids/Taxi Boys (Johnny Felice) too long ago for you guys?
eddieo45
Running Up That Hill

Postby randy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:45 am

Ive got the Real Kids "Now You Know" if you are interested.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby Elf » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:59 pm

A belated thank you to both Randy and Tom (WORKJOBB) for the Hi-Beams song!!!!!! Great memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You West coast folks should get on board and get this infectious song!!! I'm not sure if the Hi Beams ever got out there. I tend to think they did not.
Randy or Tom , who did Carrots and Peas?
Elf
Switchin' to Glide

Postby workjobb » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:47 pm

Green Giant?
Hyperactive is a great tune-there's a lot of Boston songs from the era that were cathy, infectious pop.
workjobb
Switchin' to Glide

Postby randy » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:54 am

Carrots and Peas was by Parallel Fifth, Sorry-never really cared for the song although it did get a small amount of airplay on stations like WDOM.
Any of you locals remember Rods and Cones or Actual Size?
randy
Room at the Top

Postby firefall » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:38 pm

Oh,Elevators what a great band was this! Ipicked up their only vinyl''Frontline'',a long time ago for only 3 euro, but only before two months started to play it.Fact is that's a quirky one,through the jerky synth oriented production of Earle Mankey.But the all trying is a wonderful airy power pop secret!Boston was a real gold place for power pop and alternative rock n' roll and it's been presented tremandously in the live compilation ''Live at the Rat club'' It's not only New England who ruled there,isn't it?
firefall
Personal Jesus

Postby MonkeyTrousers » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:56 pm

WORKJOBB and anyone else. Do you guys remember Cool It Reba?
They were an early 80's NY band featuring David Hansen (The Young Adults
and now of Western Carvan) John Fredericks (Great guitarist!) Baker
Rorick (later of Baxters) and Kevin Tooley (The Mundanes, Klaus Nomi,
John Cage...). Anyway, they were around from 81-84 and released one
killer record (MONEY FALL OUT THE SKY -Hannibal'82), lost some members and later became Steve Mqueen. I love the HELPING OTHERS LP by The Young
Adults & Film but does anyone have a copy of the '79 7" (Complex World b/w Beer)? I can't find it online to download. Anybody here have any cool stories about these bands ESP. Reba? I love em!
MonkeyTrousers
Take On Me

Postby MonkeyTrousers » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:24 am

Does anyone still visit this poll (besides me) anymore?
MonkeyTrousers
Take On Me

Postby andrewkstone » Wed May 18, 2005 3:25 am

Wow, what a great board. Just surfed on -- I grew up in RI in the late 70s/early 80s and then went to BU from 83-87. So I know a lot of these bands referred to here. The Mundanes were faves of mine -- I was their unoffical roadie because I was underaged. By carrying gear into Lupos or the Living Room, I could get into the shows. I still keep in touch with them.

The Schemers, Probers, High Beams, Human Sexual Respone, Neigborhoods ... wow, I could go on and on. I spent many weekends (from the age of 16) hanging out in the Providence clubs, and then in Boston, continued. I used to play music, so I met a lot of these people and still keep in touch. I've also got a lot of vinyl and CDs, tapes, etc.

Now I live in Wash. DC and am a writer -- my first novel, ALL FLOWERS DIE is set in and amongst the Boston (and to a lesser extent, Providence)music scene, and I included a lot of these bands). Check it out at my site -- http://www.sotherebooks.com

Anyway, let's keep this thread going! I would love to rehash old memories.

All best,

Andrew Stone
andrewkstone
Switchin' to Glide

Postby randy » Wed May 18, 2005 4:26 am

Andrew--I would not be surprised if we were at many of the same shows. Living Room and Lupos were staples of mine!!!!
randy
Room at the Top

Postby andrewkstone » Wed May 18, 2005 4:34 am

Hi Randy,

Nice seeing another RIer here.

Probably -- we're about the same age, so it would make sense. The Living Room was my favorite club ("behind the plastic bubble" on Promenade). I never went to the original across from the orignal Lupos.

Man, I remember you could see the Ramones for $4.

Some memorable shows for me --
til/tuesday and The New Models (remember how bands would do 2 sets each, and alternate?)
Every 'hoods show
The Waitresses
REM - touring for Murmer. The days of very small amps!
Human Sexual Response -- I saw them only in reunion shows, altho I got to know them very well when they formed the Zulus. I hear Rich Gilbert now lives in Pawtucket.

I remember playing the LIving Room, while in high school. It was a benefit shoe for a clothing store called Screamin' Mimis, on Thayer street. I think they had a fire. I was about 16 or 17, and my girlfriend's sister was dating this metal guitarist who got the gig for us. The Schemers headlines. What a great stage -- amazing sound system. Rivalled by the Rat and Channel, which I played once each while in college.

Andrew
andrewkstone
Switchin' to Glide

Postby randy » Wed May 18, 2005 5:55 am

The "Behind the bubble" Living Room was all around-the best club. I always preferred it over Lupos and the old Living Room. The old room was pretty odd--two levels with the only piece of furniture in it was an old beat up couch on the second level. Both levels had a decent stage view but it was much more congested than the bubble living room. I would sometimes parkmy ass IN the bubble.

REM Murmer at the Living Room--I was there.
Also saw the Hoods their a few times - recently snagged up their Reptile Men lp
The Lords of the New Church first visit to the Living Room was one of my favorites.
Schemers show opening for X actually put X on the map for me.
Angry Young Bees--great show!!
Bow Wow Wow with Blue Ruin opening was also memorable.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby andrewkstone » Thu May 19, 2005 11:45 am

Reptile Men -- what a great album. I wish the Neighborhood stuff would come out on CD. I've got the orignal 7" of Prettiest Girl, which is brilliant, and all their stuff on vinyl, but no working turntable.

Yeah, the Living Room was a great place. I remember the wall with all the band photos and the huge dressing room.

It was great being able to see so many Boston bands there, and then ending up in Boston for school, and seeing them all over again. Face to Face, til tuesday, Robin Lane, the Zulus, The Buddy System, Berlin Airlift ... the list goes on and on. Years later, I was able to use a lot of these bands and clubs in my first novel, ALL FLOWERS DIE. I created a band -- Brian's Sandbox -- and had them play with real bands at the Rat, the Channel, etc. Just to lend some authenticity and relive those special days.

Andrew K. Stone
Author of
ALL FLOWERS DIE and DISAPPEARING INTO VIEW
read the first chapter at
http://www.sotherebooks.com
andrewkstone
Switchin' to Glide

Postby purplemags » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:26 am

This is awesome!

Went to college in Boston area in the early 80s, Saw Novermber Group, The Fools, til Tuesday among others.

Now, a question - who did "Permanent Vacation"? Can't remember, and it is a bit annoying.

Thanks.
[^]
purplemags
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions