Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Cleaning vintage records

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Postby phillyidol » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:12 am

Keep me updated on the sale Marie. Working with old people has its perks. Most don't have players anymore but have all their records. I got a shit load from one woman already. But I don't know how to sell anything on ebay.

BTW-Hi I'm Phillyidol. I have never been here before.

I don't want the world....
I just want your half.
phillyidol
Room at the Top

Postby eight6 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:56 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by phillyidol[/i]
<br>Keep me updated on the sale Marie. Working with old people has its perks. Most don't have players anymore but have all their records. I got a shit load from one woman already. But I don't know how to sell anything on ebay.

BTW-Hi I'm Phillyidol. I have never been here before.

I just want your half.

[/quote]

I was going to say; Holy Shit!, Phil has finally moved on from psychedelic plaid to vinyl! What's next, pleather?
eight6
Room at the Top

Postby phillyidol » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:54 pm

You can bet the farm that I will never touch pleather!

I just want your half.
phillyidol
Room at the Top

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:55 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by eight6[/i]
<br>
You're right, the packaging of the record was sub par for sure, but the mind boggles at the stupidity of folding what obviously looks as though it ought not to be folded. I've seen it all as far as packaging methods as well. Leaving the record in the jacket for shipment is one of the most common offences, perhaps only second to lack of proper cardboard support for package contents.[/quote]

Leaving the record in the jacket is something that doesn't even bother me. If it's a sealed record, I'm definitely not going to ask them to open it to take it out. I had one dingbat -- and this was after I specifically requested not to do this -- cram about 50 or so LPs into a flimsy piece-of-shit box that was pretty much 12" L x 12" W on the nose. She "thoughtfully" took all the records/innersleeves out of the jackets, shoved everything in there, the post office crushed the box on two of the sides, and all the jackets got demolished. So that's the most common offense for me. The innersleeves might have made it through that one okay, but because dingbat took them out and couldn't be bothered slipping everything in protective sleeves, cardboard backings or, gosh, ANYTHING, they took a beating, as well. I shitcanned her on the spot. Total moron.

[quote]Records By Mail does charge a lot for shipping, no doubt. Too bad they didn't opt to make extra money by teaching other vendors how to package records, instead of raping and pillaging it's customers with outrageous packing/shipping charges.[/quote]

I honestly don't have any problems with Records by Mail's S&H prices within the U.S.* since they started offering media (although they were awful before they did). 25 cents for a 45 after the first is nothing. It's the prices of their vinyl that's horrific! I mean, do they even have a 12" anywhere in their store priced under $10? Every store I go into locally has more than their share of $2-$5 vinyl. Most of them have dollar bins. It's not just rare stuff they've priced that way, either. I could understand if they were a small store with little overhead, but they've got over a million records. Most of which will just sit there because you can get 99% of them cheaper elsewhere.

So, the only times they're worth it to me is it's some private release that had a low print run and that they're letting go for the lower end of their pricing spectrum. Not that there are a whole lot of those.

*Granted, their international rates could be brutal.

[quote]How big is a 78 anyway? I've always assumed it was slightly smaller than an lp...about the size of a 10" piece of vinyl.[/quote]

All the ones I have are 10". I only have a meager collection of 78s. Mostly jazz, swing and some Roaring '20s stuff. The one thing I really like about them are the hardcover book-style jackets a lot of them came in. The one thing I don't like is packing them for a move!

--
[b]YouTube Music Video of the Week[/b]

Runners - "Endlessly (Hitting the Wall)"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SXq0gcaIaA
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby eight6 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:32 am

I agree with the new record thing...for me, it's the only time a record should be shipped in it's jacket.

I have to admit, I've bought quite a few (15ish) items from Records by Mail over the years. Mostly 12" eps, and most for about $10 to $15. Probably paid about the same price to have them sent. I try not to pay too much attention to the shipping cost; I'm OK paying for the shipping once, provided the record has been accurately graded and properly packed.

I know very little about 78s other then the speed they play at, and the fact they crackle a lot. I once was offered a bunch, but I said no, they looked totally trashed, and I didn't have a player capable of playing 78s.
eight6
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to Vinylmania!