Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Stay (The Second Time Around) [Solved]

Postby swerve » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:35 am

No response from either member at Discogs concerning "Around" by Face.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby swerve » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:11 am

It is NOT "Around" by Face... confirmed by a member at Discogs.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby crichert » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:06 am

Thanks swerve!! Arrrgh! [V]

[quote][i]Originally posted by swerve[/i]
<br>It is NOT "Around" by Face... confirmed by a member at Discogs.
[/quote]
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby MikeP » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:41 pm

Sorry, guys. Fixed a post which had embed code wasn't properly closed and it was redirecting like a rogue script or something. Maybe we need to start a Twitter campaign -- something that could go viral. No luck with YouTube yet.

Alles klar,
Der Kommissar
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Panorama » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:39 am

Got an email (see below) from Nick Detisch today, I followed up with him and a bit of relevant information (René Molthan, and Gazebo - Paul Miceli are an important part of the story, and really responsible for the song getting any attention), he's going to try and help with solving the mystery, stay tuned...

-----
Hi Dan,

My name is Nick Detisch and I have been following your YouTube search for the lost 80's new wave song "Stay (The Second Time Around)" for about five years. I check in every couple months to see developments, and I find the whole effort fascinating.

The song itself is catchy and well-produced, making the mystery of just who recorded and distributed it very captivating.

I am a producer and filmmaker living in Brooklyn, New York and would love to start piecing together the story as a short film project. What I would like to do is begin culling together vinyl collectors, music enthusiasts, radio DJ's (those who might remember that particular track), representatives from record labels, show promoters, etc to get an overview of the whole mystery.

But the bulk of the piece would be interviews key people on the YouTube (and nwoutpost, etc) comment thread. Since you are the one who discovered this gem, and brought together so many people to search for it, I would like to tell the story through your eyes if you are interested. What do you think?

If you are interested, maybe we can set up a time to Skype and chat a bit more about the project? I would love any help you can provide with telling this fantastic story in the documentary medium.

Thanks for your consideration, and for your continued dedication to this ongoing project. Wonderful photographs by the way! You do great work.

All the best,
Nick Detisch

-----

My reply email to Nick:

Hi Nick,

Sure, happy to help out… hoping to eventually solve the mystery, a lot of people want this solved.

Anyway, as to the participants in the search, I did not discover the song, but I am the person that uploaded the youtube video because I thought it was the best vehicle for exposure -- turns out that's seems to be true. If you read through the 12 pages in the NWoutpost thread you will see comments from some people that have done research and other interested people.

If you want to Skype or talk on the phone let me know, thanks. You are welcome to post the email message you sent to me into the NWOutpoost thread if you like or I could post it, unless you think you will be inundated with information… but you should also be able to read the comments and see who contributed what information in the search... ultimately it all started with René Molthan (see my 2 emails from 2004 with René below) and his posting of the song clip, the rest has just been an obsessive search by a lot of people that love the song. I'm cc'ing René on this email so he is aware of the interest.

Thanks for the compliments on the photography too, I try and make compelling images, it's nice when people notice :-)

Good luck with the film project, I hope it is successful and hope we can solve the mystery of the song Stay (The Second Time Around). It would be amazing to find the band and have them interviewed, they are probably unaware of any of this search to find out about their song.

best,
Dan

<HR width="185" align="left">
"Photography with a Vision"
http://www.cooganphoto.com
Panorama
Room at the Top

Postby NDetisch » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:09 am

Hi all!

I am happy to join this thread, as I've been following the song's search progress on YouTube for about four years. I am a documentary filmmaker living in Brooklyn, NY and - as Dan graciously posted about previously - am beginning to reach out to as many people on this board as I can, in hopes of putting together a short subject piece about this now ten year search for "Stay (A Second Time Around)."

I will be reaching out via Private Messages as well, but thought I'd speed up the process by inviting any and all members who have been dedicated to finding this song to please get in touch with me. I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

My email is nickdetisch@gmail.com. Please also feel free to look me up (Nick Detisch) on Facebook, Twitter (Nick_Detisch) and Linkedin.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Very best,

Nick
NDetisch
Running Up That Hill

Postby gnj1958 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:34 pm

What we really need is to get the song heard by as many people as possible in hopes that somebody from this band hears it and says "hey I know that song, I was in that band".

I suggest we see if we can get them to include the clip on the soundtrack for the new Star Wars movie. Millions will get to hear it then.
gnj1958
Take On Me

Postby NDetisch » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:13 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by gnj1958[/i]
<br>What we really need is to get the song heard by as many people as possible in hopes that somebody from this band hears it and says "hey I know that song, I was in that band".

I suggest we see if we can get them to include the clip on the soundtrack for the new Star Wars movie. Millions will get to hear it then.

[/quote]

gnj1958, I'm thinking the same thing. That is one of the reasons I want to make a compelling documentary about this now ten year search. It may not be "Star Wars" but it's something :)

gnj (and everyone!) if you are interested in getting involved in the film as an interviewee, please feel free to email me at nickdetisch@gmail.com.
NDetisch
Running Up That Hill

Postby gnj1958 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:45 am

Not sure what I could contribute to it. I don't spend as much time on this as some other people have. Where will this movie be shown?

The crazy thing is after all this time and all the effort from all the different people we don't know anything more about this song now than we did on day one. We've learned absolutely nothing.

We have learned a LOT of songs that it isn't but that doesn't help any really.

Title of song - unknown
Artist - unknown
Group or solo artist - unknown
Country of origin - unknown
Year recorded or released - unknown
Is it a single or just a track from an album - unknown

I can't even make out what that first line in the clip is. I know it's been posted as "talking to a blue sky" but that isn't it. It's not "blue sky"

I wonder how many copies of this record are out there?
gnj1958
Take On Me

Postby NDetisch » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:31 am

Hey all,

Has the name Jonas Fjeld ever come up? He has a 1986 album called "Time & Motion" which includes a song called "Sitting on This Rooftop." The title doesn't sound quite right, but I can't access or even download the song anywhere.

Can anyone verify?

Some links:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/time-motion-mw0000840561

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Motion-Jonas ... fjeld+time
NDetisch
Running Up That Hill

Postby i_like_lectric_motors » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:59 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by NDetisch[/i]
<br>Hey all,

Has the name Jonas Fjeld ever come up? He has a 1986 album called "Time & Motion" which includes a song called "Sitting on This Rooftop." The title doesn't sound quite right, but I can't access or even download the song anywhere.

Can anyone verify?

Some links:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/time-motion-mw0000840561

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Motion-Jonas ... fjeld+time
[/quote]

He's an acoustic folk singer. I just checked out a couple of his songs on youtube and they're nothing like our mystery song.
i_like_lectric_motors
Room at the Top

Postby cristian » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:30 pm

cristian
Take On Me

Postby deevo0 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Kind of an interesting saga. At some point in this 12-page thread (!) did anyone compile absolutely everything that was both known and unknown about this song?

For example, in the "Known" list, who discovered the song, when and where it was first discovered (German radio station?), in what format the song was played on the station (if this is known--it probably isn't), and so on? The "Known" list should also include all bands that have been excluded from consideration. Maybe some really knowledgeable person with good ears could identify the type of synth used, the probable recording environment (bedroom on a 4-track, studio), etc.

The "Unknown" list obviously includes who sang it, whether it was one guy dubbing everything or a whole band, whether the artist was on a label, what country the artist is from (English? American? German?), whether the artist did anything else, why nobody has come forward, what type of music this German radio station played (e.g., did they often play homemade tapes that listeners sent them?), whether people who worked at the station are still around, whether this station has archives of old playlists, whether there are other tapes of this radio station floating around (perhaps the song appears on more than one of them), etc.

If everything were vomited out into these two lists, then maybe some of the smaller questions on the "Unknown" list could perhaps be answered and moved to the "Known" list. Just a thought.

To me the most interesting question is why nobody has come forward with any info about the song. That makes me think it wasn't a signed band with a following. Perhaps it was just one guy recording on a Fostex 8-track in his bedroom who made a tape and sent it to the station. They played it one night for the hell of it, and that was that.
deevo0
Personal Jesus

Postby gnj1958 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:31 pm

When the clip of the song was recorded and how and where really don't mean much.

If it was off a German radio station so what?. I'm sure German DJ's play records from various places. Even if we knew when it was recorded that still doesn't mean much. Was the track new when it was played or a year or two old already?

Hell we don't even know it's called Stay The Second Time Around. That's pure speculation.
gnj1958
Take On Me

Postby deevo0 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:28 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by gnj1958[/i]
<br>When the clip of the song was recorded and how and where really don't mean much.

If it was off a German radio station so what?. I'm sure German DJ's play records from various places. Even if we knew when it was recorded that still doesn't mean much. Was the track new when it was played or a year or two old already?

Hell we don't even know it's called Stay The Second Time Around. That's pure speculation.
[/quote]

Man, I have to disagree. This is a stone cold whodunnit. The tried-and-true way to make progress is to a) clarify what you know and don't know; b) question what you THINK you know; c) keep making unknowns knowns to get a better picture. What else can be done? Just sit there and hope?

In the case of the radio station, maybe someone who worked at that station is still alive. Maybe they remember the song. Or maybe the station kept a track listing that is sitting in a box somewhere. And the fact that it is a German station seems important. To me, that means it is more likely that the artist was either British or continental. And when the clip of the song was recorded is obviously important!
deevo0
Personal Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to Help Me Identify This!