Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Nothing to see here, move along...

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Nothing to see here, move along...

Postby FrankieP » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:11 pm

. :!:
Last edited by FrankieP on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
FrankieP
Running Up That Hill

Re: One Man's Collection

Postby df118 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Hi. Could you share digitized files in the Obscure 80s forum please.
df118
Take On Me

Postby FrankieP » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:12 am

Deleted
Last edited by FrankieP on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankieP
Running Up That Hill

Postby schwenko » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:05 am

FrankieP wrote:I started collecting vinyl since the 80's. I mostly had purchased and obtained singles either on 7" or 12" formats. I've been in the process of meticulously digitizing and restoring these for my own personal use.

The popularity of 80's CD compilations (Blank & Jone's So80s series and etc...) had driven me to compile and focus my efforts on certain rare and out-of-print gems that has not seen the light of day on CD.

I would like to open a thread here to discuss and gather information from all knowledgeable members in this forum. Trying to find out if a track was ever released on CD or included in a compilation album is a daunting task. :)

So here goes...

April Showers - Abandon Ship (UK 12" Single)
- One of my prized favorites in my collection! Released in 1984, a Glaswegian duo consisting of Jonathan Bernstein and Beatrice Colin, it features the wonderful production of Anne Dudley, who did the orchestral parts of ABC's "Lexicon of Love" album. The single was made available on a CD compilation released in Germany. But I have not seen the instrumental version of the track released anywhere.

Roaring Boys ‎– House Of Stone (12" Promo)
- I love this 12"! Features a long version and a shorter edit on the flip side. I also have their debut LP which features the long version of the track. I found a still sealed mint copy of the album in a dusty basement of a record shop in Seaford New York probably 20 years ago. I have not seen this officially released on CD.

The Room ‎– New Dreams For Old (UK 12" Single)
- A "unofficial" CD release of this single is listed on Discogs. Still a pretty rare find. The 12" has the extended and album versions.

The Mo ‎– Asia (Germany 12" Single)
- I don't know why this underrated single has never been a part of any eighties compilation CDs (aside from, of course, "unofficial" released eighties compilations from (again) the Philippines). You would think Blank & Jones' would've included this already in their So80s series. Two versions on the 12". I've seen this pop up on Discogs every now and then, fetching at ridiculous prices.

Robin Wright- Give Me Back My Heart (UK 12" Single)
Not really New Wave. More european synth-pop released late 1988. The "Dance Mix" was included as part of Fantasia Records' Ian Anthony Stephens Presents Various ‎– The Definitive Collection (Volume 1). The instrumental version has not seen the light of day.

That's it for now. I still have more to post here. Will keep this thread updated. Cheers everyone!

I have a 3 track cd of April Showers which includes an instrumental version of Abandon Ship.
I don't see this listed on Discogs.
The company releasing it is named Big Star, with a logo that resembles (but is not an exact image) of the Phillipines' flag.
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby MrOktober » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:38 am

FrankieP wrote:
df118 wrote:Hi. Could you share digitized files in the Obscure 80s forum please.

So let me get this straight…

After spending ridiculous amounts of money, time, and effort collecting these records all these years, and working my ass off to afford and avail myself the best equipment I can afford to play, archive and transfer these records to digital, not to mention the countless hours I spent to meticulously restore and remove each click and pop manually, you want me to go ahead and “share” the digitized files for everybody to grab freely?

Wow! Talk about an entitled generation. I did mention in my post above that “i've been in the process of meticulously digitizing and restoring these for my own personal use”. What is in that sentence you didn’t understand?

Sorry sir, i’m not here to share and distribute freely my life's worth of collecting these records. My intent to post here was meant to start a discussion and gather information.

I’m very disappointed that the first reply to my thread is immediately a “share and gimme”. Thanks buddy! Wasted an hour to write up my first post ever in this forum. I should just go back into lurk mode. (smh)

Sir, that was a nasty response to an innocuous comment. He asked for something (to hear the results of your work), just as you asked for something (knowledge and information, which also takes work to acquire). He even said please. Maybe he didn't realize the point of your post was to say "look what I have that you don't."
See through faded, super jaded and out of my mind
MrOktober
Take On Me

Postby FrankieP » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:37 am

MrOktober wrote:Maybe he didn't realize the point of your post was to say "look what I have that you don't."

That was not my intent. Sorry if you felt that way. Thanks!
FrankieP
Running Up That Hill

Re: Nothing to see here, move along...

Postby df118 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:17 am

I guess this is how wars start :shock:
df118
Take On Me

Postby Danielwaver » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:49 am

FrankieP wrote:
MrOktober wrote:Maybe he didn't realize the point of your post was to say "look what I have that you don't."

That was not my intent. Sorry if you felt that way. Thanks!

Sorry but that was your intent. And if you think you're the only one who spends $$ on rare vinyl and goes through ripping and cleaning process, then you belong to the kindergarten.
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Re: Nothing to see here, move along...

Postby eight6 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:20 am

Frankie P...bit of a dick.
eight6
Room at the Top

Postby df118 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:47 am

schwenko wrote:
FrankieP wrote:I started collecting vinyl since the 80's. I mostly had purchased and obtained singles either on 7" or 12" formats. I've been in the process of meticulously digitizing and restoring these for my own personal use.

The popularity of 80's CD compilations (Blank & Jone's So80s series and etc...) had driven me to compile and focus my efforts on certain rare and out-of-print gems that has not seen the light of day on CD.

I would like to open a thread here to discuss and gather information from all knowledgeable members in this forum. Trying to find out if a track was ever released on CD or included in a compilation album is a daunting task. :)

So here goes...

April Showers - Abandon Ship (UK 12" Single)
- One of my prized favorites in my collection! Released in 1984, a Glaswegian duo consisting of Jonathan Bernstein and Beatrice Colin, it features the wonderful production of Anne Dudley, who did the orchestral parts of ABC's "Lexicon of Love" album. The single was made available on a CD compilation released in Germany. But I have not seen the instrumental version of the track released anywhere.

Roaring Boys ‎– House Of Stone (12" Promo)
- I love this 12"! Features a long version and a shorter edit on the flip side. I also have their debut LP which features the long version of the track. I found a still sealed mint copy of the album in a dusty basement of a record shop in Seaford New York probably 20 years ago. I have not seen this officially released on CD.

The Room ‎– New Dreams For Old (UK 12" Single)
- A "unofficial" CD release of this single is listed on Discogs. Still a pretty rare find. The 12" has the extended and album versions.

The Mo ‎– Asia (Germany 12" Single)
- I don't know why this underrated single has never been a part of any eighties compilation CDs (aside from, of course, "unofficial" released eighties compilations from (again) the Philippines). You would think Blank & Jones' would've included this already in their So80s series. Two versions on the 12". I've seen this pop up on Discogs every now and then, fetching at ridiculous prices.

Robin Wright- Give Me Back My Heart (UK 12" Single)
Not really New Wave. More european synth-pop released late 1988. The "Dance Mix" was included as part of Fantasia Records' Ian Anthony Stephens Presents Various ‎– The Definitive Collection (Volume 1). The instrumental version has not seen the light of day.

That's it for now. I still have more to post here. Will keep this thread updated. Cheers everyone!

I have a 3 track cd of April Showers which includes an instrumental version of Abandon Ship.
I don't see this listed on Discogs.
The company releasing it is named Big Star, with a logo that resembles (but is not an exact image) of the Phillipines' flag.

Hi schwenko. Do you have more details or a picture of the sleeve so I can search for a copy. Thanks.
df118
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions