Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Rebel Rebel to close

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Rebel Rebel to close

Postby schwenko » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:00 am

One of NYC's last remaining brick and mortar record stores will close the end of this month. for 28 years a great source of new wave music, the victim of a rent increase!! :evil:
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Re: Rebel Rebel to close

Postby rewind » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:21 am

It's where I bought the majority of my collection as well as the source for many of the imports we'd play on WLIR and WDRE. Proprietor Dave Shebiro is a true legend and all around great guy. He always put aside new arrivals for me that he thought I'd like...he was like the bartender who always knew your drink order.

I remember Friday afternoon rituals: that's when the new imports would arrive and there was group of regulars who waited for Dave and his crew to open the boxes so we could be the first to sample the new music. In the days before the internet, this was the best way to find out about the latest releases. And Dave always let you listen to the songs before you bought -- it was a great strategy...many of his the new arrivals sold out that day!

Sad to see it go.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby wasproxy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:17 pm

To add insult to injury Other Music on 4th is closing too.

Rewind ... don't know your real identity but THANKS for all the years of great music on LIR / DRE
wasproxy
Take On Me

Postby rewind » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:29 am

I'm Max ("Mighty Maxximizer")!
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:53 pm

I paid my final respects the other day; said hello/goodbye to David, and bought a cd (David Bowie, "Station to Station", natch)
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby wasproxy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:23 pm

The Mighty Maximizer!!! Holy Schnikees... great to hear those words again Max. Will spare you most of the the reminiscing but just today I was riding my motorcycle past the old Malibu in Lido Beach and thinking about the good old big 80s and all the LIR-DRE parties and concerts there. Also, a guy at work used to work the old Airline... I surprised him a few weeks back and brought him a couple of those old WLIR weekly mag rags that used to come out that looked like the "Island Ear"... 30 years ago, wow... thanks for everything Maximizer, those were the days. A lot of us still listen to our old DRE screeched tapes with glee!
wasproxy
Take On Me

Postby MrOktober » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:00 pm

Max - I remember your intro. It was a take off of the Energizer commercials with the Australian guy who yelled oi! It went something like "Who plays the best new music in New York? The Maximizer!" Glad to see you're still around.
See through faded, super jaded and out of my mind
MrOktober
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions