Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

*** 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll ***

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

*** 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll ***

Postby MikeP » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Hi gang,

Despite the New Wave Outpost forum slowing down over the past few years, I still intend to keep it running and revive some of the previous song and informational pages that have been shuttered for so long.

The site was launched 20 years ago back in 1996 and to commemorate the occasion, I have revived the Top Songs Poll that was last conducted back in 2006 for the 10th anniversary. Without further adieu, go here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll

Enter up to 50 of your top New Wave, Punk and '80s Alternative songs. Try to keep the music within the 1976-1989 time frame. You should be able to return to the page and make changes as needed, but if you have any problems or you lose the cookie that will allow you to return with your entries intact, shoot me over a message.

I plan to keep the poll open until Saturday September 3rd, at which point I'll start "crunching the numbers". The results should be ready by Monday, Sept. 5 (Labor Day, Stateside).

Yours,
El Presidente
MikeP
President Am I

Re: *** 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll ***

Postby negative1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:18 pm

hi mike,

good idea. thanks for keeping the board up.

you might want to delete a lot of the spam, in this forum,
and throughout the other ones here though.

it's gotten better, but there's still a lot of it.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby ESP » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Any idea when the song lists will be back? The ones that use to be accessible from the homepage.
ESP
Switchin' to Glide

Postby MikeP » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:54 pm

ESP wrote:Any idea when the song lists will be back? The ones that use to be accessible from the homepage.

I hope to bring those back sometime in the next month or two. I have all the data but I just need to build out a home page portal. Stay tuned.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Spit » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:19 pm

Like so many others , it's been a while since I've posted anything but for this , I'm in. Looking forward to the results.
Just hope they include a few of those stats and charts Blir (frau Blucher) included in his polls from back when . :)
Spit
Room at the Top

Postby swerve » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:55 pm

Mike: When you go to the page to make your entries it still says the 3rd... thanks.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby MikeP » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:13 pm

swerve wrote:Mike: When you go to the page to make your entries it still says the 3rd... thanks.

Thanks -- yes, I've updated the page as well!
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Jim2 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:51 am

Difficult to choose only 50 and then you remember you forgot that one song... Let's do "Albums" next
"Things went fine, up until the start of school, the world was still okay." -Nina Hagen
Jim2
Take On Me

Postby MikeP » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:41 am

The results are in! Some consistent winners and some surprises sneaking into the Top 50 (e.g., Fiat Lux).
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

For reference, I posted the last 2007 results in a table here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/top-songs-results-2007.html

As suggested, I plan to do a Top Albums Poll in the next month or two so stay tuned! 8)
MikeP
President Am I

Postby missowong » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Thank you Mike, for maintaining the New Wave Outpost Forum and for compiling the Top Songs Poll! The songs listed reminded me of so many great New Wave classics I haven't heard or thought of in years! I was glad to see how many of my Top 50 actually got votes from other board users. This site is a great resource for my favorite genre of music. Keep up the good work! Aloha from Hawaii!
missowong
Running Up That Hill

Postby MikeP » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:28 pm

missowong wrote:Thank you Mike, for maintaining the New Wave Outpost Forum and for compiling the Top Songs Poll! The songs listed reminded me of so many great New Wave classics I haven't heard or thought of in years! I was glad to see how many of my Top 50 actually got votes from other board users. This site is a great resource for my favorite genre of music. Keep up the good work! Aloha from Hawaii!

Thanks for the kind words! Since I only got a response from 38 people, I'm hoping to run a "Mega Song Poll" of sorts in a few months, which will allow anywhere from 100 to up to 500 songs! I'm hoping I can enlist around 100 people to participate. I will probably supply the master list of artists from my database to help jog people's memories of their favorite songs/artists. I'd really love to compile a Top 1000 to really showcase the diversity of music from that period.

But up next will be a Top Albums Poll in a few weeks...so stay tuned!
MikeP
President Am I

Postby MAGICs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:03 am

Thanx! Great Pool. Just one question - WTF IS:
359 - Heaven 17 - Only Love is Left Alive?
and
448 - Agent Orange - Talk of the Crowd?
Have 610 of 612 songs, but never heard about this songs? Anyone have it? Can post all 610 songs:-))
and #456 -is Bamboo Industry - Hypnotized not a Bamboo House:-))
and #472 is Cristina not Chistina;-)
MAGICs
MAGICsXXXXX @RateYourMusic
MAGICs
Take On Me

Postby MikeP » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 am

MAGICs wrote:Thanx! Great Pool. Just one question - WTF IS:
and
Have 610 of 612 songs, but never heard about this songs? Anyone have it? Can post all 610 songs:-))
MAGICs

Those last two are corrected. As for the other two, probably someone entered those in error. There's a song by the Yanks called "Only Lovers Left Alive" that came out in 1983. As for "Talk of the Crowd" -- there's a Canadian band called Age of Mirrors (whose name would normally be right next to Agent Orange in the autocomplete drop-down when typing "age" in the Artist field, so I think Agent Orange was accidentally selected). This band has a song called "Talk of the Crowd", so I have since corrected that.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby MAGICs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:42 pm

MikeP wrote:
MAGICs wrote:Thanx! Great Pool. Just one question - WTF IS:
and
MAGICs

Those last two are corrected. As for the other two, probably someone entered those in error. There's a song by the Yanks called "Only Lovers Left Alive" that came out in 1983. As for "Talk of the Crowd" -- there's a Canadian band called Age of Mirrors (whose name would normally be right next to Agent Orange in the autocomplete drop-down when typing "age" in the Artist field, so I think Agent Orange was accidentally selected). This band has a song called "Talk of the Crowd", so I have since corrected that.

Thx, Mike for advance! Now i have all of 612 listed songs! Mostly New Wave with some interesting exceptions and surprises, BTW Roy Sundholm and some others NO new wavers:-)))
MAGICs
MAGICsXXXXX @RateYourMusic
MAGICs
Take On Me

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions