Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll results and my picks

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll results and my picks

Postby Jim2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:36 am

The New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll results are in and looking over all these wonderful songs, only 26 of my 50 picks made the final cut.

These are my 8 picks that made the results where I was the only one who chose them and where I ranked them:

3. XTC - Are You Receiving Me? (not the first XTC song I ever heard, but my favorite)
7. Q (aka Stacy Q) - Sushi (synth pop earworm)
13. Buzzcocks - Boredom (too pop to be punk, too early to be new wave)
15. Nina Hagen Band - TV-Glotzer (White Punks On Dope) (high energetic Tubes cover sung in German)
16. The Units - High Pressure Days (100% raw US syynth)
17. The Residents - You Yesyesyes (amazingly there are two (2) other Resident songs that made the cut)
19. Oingo Boingo - Grey Matter (personal favorite)
20. Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights ("Running Up That Hill" at 96 and my lone vote brings it in at 444, oh well)

These are my 24 picks that did not make the final results (less than 4 points) and where I ranked them (some of these may have been picked by others, but if it didn't get 4 points...):

21. The Psychedelic Furs - Sister Europe (slow and intoxicating with the amazing saxophone of Duncan Kilburn while Richard Butler breathes a lyrical landscape)
22. Shriekback - Nemesis (quite surprised that "All Lined Up" & "My Spine (Is the Bassline)" made it but not "Nemesis"?)
23. Yello - Vicious Games (classic Yello with layers of sounds)
24. Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft (D.A.F.) - Der Mussolini (difficult to choose only one D.A.F. song but the opening riff and the background vocals make this)
25. The Stranglers - (Get a) Grip (On Yourself) (the opening hook, the driving bass, the keyboards, the saxophone and Hugh Cornwell's vocals from1977)
26. Suburban Lawns - Gidget Goes to Hell (definitive US punk 7" on their own label)
27. XTC - This Is Pop? (the single version has more bite to it than the LP version)
29. Devo - Come Back Johnny (so many other Devo songs to choose from, this one still delivers)
30. Scientific Americans - Eep Opp Ork (only Devo could have done this better, from the 1960's Jetson's cartoon)
32. R.E.M. - Fall On Me (could have been called "Don't Fall On Me" as the first line of the chorus states)
33. Echo & The Bunnymen - Seven Seas (I just love this song)
35. The Buggles - Living in the Plastic Age (if "Video Star" is the tip of the iceberg this is the Artic Ice shelf)
36. Berlin - The Metro (the original MAO 45 is so, so much better than the LP version)
37. Kraftwerk - Tour De France (pure genius)
39. Freur - Riders In The Night (I know it's not "Doot Doot", but this song kicks ass)
40. Klaus Nomi - Total Eclipse (the original version on his 1981 self titled LP or the live version from URGH! A Music War)
41. X-Ray Spex - Oh Bondage Up Yours! (I love everything about this, from the awkward saxophone to the shrilling vocals)
42. Aztec Camera - Pillar to Post (I listened to this many times when it first came out, forgot all about it and now find myself playing it quite often)
44. The Associates - Those First Impressions (had this been released in 1978, it would have been top of the Billboard charts)
46. 48 Chairs - Snap It Around (I used to play this during my DJ years from 1982 to 1986, I had forgotten it until last year)
47. The Waterboys - The Whole of the Moon (Mike Scott's big hit that should have been, but never was only reaching #26 in the UK)
48. The Smiths - This Charming Man (I always imagined this could be the theme song to a TV show or the opening credits for a movie)
49. XTC - Take This Town (wonderful song with the whistling and that part where it changes gears)
50. The Comsat Angels - Stay the Night (another song I used to play from my DJ days that I recently rediscovered)

Did anyone else pick so many songs (almost half) that fell under the 4 point limit?
"Things went fine, up until the start of school, the world was still okay." -Nina Hagen
Jim2
Take On Me

Re: 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll results and my picks

Postby MissingPersons » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:55 pm

I didn't participate in the poll, but are R.E.M., Aztec Camera or The Waterboys considered New Wave?
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby moni » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:44 pm

The Whole of the Moon wasn't a big hit the first time around but it was reissued in 1991 and got to number 3 in the UK charts.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby swerve » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Had to replace my hard drive so it wiped out what I sent.

If Mike has it he could return my list to me and I could comment on some of the ones I chose that didn't make the chart as I can't recall them all. :)
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby Spit » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:43 pm

swerve wrote:Had to replace my hard drive so it wiped out what I sent.

If Mike has it he could return my list to me and I could comment on some of the ones I chose that didn't make the chart as I can't recall them all. :)

What I sent was also wiped out. Some of the songs on my list that I can recall sending did not even get a vote .I noticed there were a number of other songs from other members on the final results listed as just a single vote.
Makes me wonder if Mike ever received my list. Oh well. :|
Spit
Room at the Top

Postby swerve » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:48 pm

Mike got mine as the results bore that out. After the hard disk was replaced what I had at the page for the Top 50 that I selected was of course gone.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby Spit » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:27 pm

swerve wrote:Mike got mine as the results bore that out. After the hard disk was replaced what I had at the page for the Top 50 that I selected was of course gone.

I noticed my list was gone after I tried to make a couple of changes before the final results came out . Guess I should of sent Mike a email then .
Spit
Room at the Top

Postby ame01999 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Thank you for those picks, Jim. I hadn't heard some of those cuts before.

My orphaned picks (I just went with Mike's restrict yourself to 1977-89 instruction):

26. The Chills - Pink Frost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjW3MT8D9RY

27. Go-Betweens - Cattle and Cane
30. The Raincoats - Off Duty Trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gry6-VLmO_8

31. The Fall - Living Too Late
33. Morrissey - Everyday Is Like Sunday
34. Iron Curtain - The Condos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcH7ZPPlx-s

38. Romeo Void - Myself to Myself
39. 10,000 Maniacs - Planned Obsolescence
40. Movement - New Harbours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUSQy2J7LQ

42. The Triffids - Beautiful Waste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqNCe5Gv3pg

43. Young Marble Giants - Music for Evenings or Brand New Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pE6S792mIM

44. Television Personalities - Paradise Estate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owffl1N-4J0

46. Sad Lovers and Giants - Clint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWqBCid_eJ0

49. Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays
ame01999
Take On Me

Postby missowong » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Thirty one of my personal Top 50 made the list. My #1 - New Toy by Lene Lovich was #22 on the overall list! Uncertain Smile by The The was the highest rank song (tied for 11th) was my #28 pick. It was great to see which of my songs also got votes from other people on the board. Overall, this was a fabulous way to walk down memory lane. Thanks to all for participating and an especially big mahalo to Mike for compiling the list! Aloha from Hawaii!
missowong
Running Up That Hill

Postby Jim2 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:01 am

nice picks ame01999.

I was introduced to The Go-Betweens here on NWO, and Cattle and Cane is a great song, but I like Streets Of Your Town better. Both songs are on my phone (current mp3 player, my Zune died)

I've never heard Living Too Late by The Fall it seems it was 12 incher between albums Bend Sinister and I m Kurious Oranj.

Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays is a classic, I'm sure someone else voted for it.
"Things went fine, up until the start of school, the world was still okay." -Nina Hagen
Jim2
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions