Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Howard Jones Leeds University 17 march 1984 (1st gen/flac)

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Howard Jones Leeds University 17 march 1984 (1st gen/flac)

Postby eddie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:33 am

Howard Jones Leeds University 17 march 1984

1st gen sony chf90>audacity>flac>track split

effectively this is the master as the real one will be in landfill somewhere

it's one minute too long for a single cd so i'd split it befor what is love if you're burning as that's where the tape flip was originally.

set

tao te ching/hunt the self
pearl in the shell
change the man
always asking questions
don't always look at the rain -piano
hide and seek
bounce right back
natural - piano

what is love
equality
like to get to know you well
new song
conditioning
human's lib
Last edited by eddie on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Re: Howard Jones Leeds University 17 march 1984 (1st gen/fla

Postby humanracer » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks. Interesting to hear the reception of Like To Get To Know You Well which at that point was unreleased. Great banter between the audience and Howard.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby maccafan076 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Loving these shows. Thanks
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby Neil Kelly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Thanks!
Neil Kelly
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:55 am

eddie wrote:effectively this is the master as the real one will be in landfill somewhere

Spectacularly wrong about the landfill assumption, bumped into the taper on Friday, not seen him in many years. All tapes still intact but he'd no inclination to do anything with them so I collected them all from him yesterday. Hundreds of master tapes, as you'd imagine from roughly 1981-1997, loads of stuff i'd forgotten about that I know has never been made available online, lots of potential major upgrades (eg Bowie masters from 83,87, 90), box after box to go through properly. Happy times. Now if only I could invent 48 hour days and free electricity.

Here's an early live version of like to get to know you well I did the other day (not from these tapes).

https://soundcloud.com/all-aboard-557962068/ltgtkyw
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 am

For your info only, this is not a menu:

edited clearly upset people.
Last edited by eddie on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:20 am

Cool list. 1987 shows are very rare. The One to One album was very underrated. Didn’t you get the 1989 show that was on Dime a while back?
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:35 am

Here's things can only get better from the 1984 Janice Long session, re-transferred the tape yesterday as I was doing the police gig I'd tagged it on the end of. Quality is not great as it is medium wave, nighttime, 1984. Think it sounds a tiny bit better than the last time I transferred this session. Obviously no one is to blame was on the deluxe dream into action. Other tracks are Look Mama and dream Into Action.

https://soundcloud.com/user-204744216/03-tcogb
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 am

eddie wrote:Here's things can only get better from the 1984 Janice Long session, re-transferred the tape yesterday as I was doing the police gig I'd tagged it on the end of. Quality is not great as it is medium wave, nighttime, 1984. Think it sounds a tiny bit better than the last time I transferred this session. Obviously no one is to blame was on the deluxe dream into action. Other tracks are Look Mama and dream Into Action.

https://soundcloud.com/user-204744216/03-tcogb

Was not on the recent remasters. The master tapes must be lost!
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:23 am

eddie
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:14 am

Nice, every tour covered. Well apart from the recent Transform tour. I don’t know why no gigs have surfaced from that yet.
87 shows are the rarest. Tour book available here http://howardjones.com/downloads/risk/Risk%2010.pdf

The best sounding for me are Rome and Manchester.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:19 am

Howard radio one interview 24 11 1984

https://we.tl/t-Uo8ex5OIbu

Can't remember much about Rome. I haven't listened to it since I converted it. I quite like the two incomplete Glasgow's. Manchester was an odd gig. Started really early for the tv and finished really early. I seem to remember being home by 10pm and I lived nowhere near. Gigs at Leeds University didn't always start much before 10. Spent many nights running through the streets of Leeds to get to the train station either in time or cos it was quicker to get a taxi from there than wait.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:53 pm

Someone sent me a question by pm which I thought others might like to see the answer to and going off on a tangent in relation to the earlier mentioned manchester 1985 - you can actually have a bit of fun with that as no two versions are the same so it's possible to compile the full gig.

So for Manchester you get:

Howard Jones
Manchester Apollo
15 march 1985

Sources
king biscuit flour hour transcription disc
fm 1st gen tdk d90 piccadilly fm live broadcast*

Order of king biscuit changed to real order of songs as

broadcast by Piccadilly fm

intro
things can only get better
automaton
pearl in the shell*
hide and seek
look mama
dream into action
hunger for flesh
hunt the self
what is love
no one is to blame
always asking questions
new song
don't always look at the rain
things can only get better*

The same thing can be done with the extra aylesbury tracks from it's first broadcast as they fit really neatly in.

These are the 1987 tapes

Image Image
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:30 am

eddie wrote:Someone sent me a question by pm which I thought others might like to see the answer to and going off on a tangent in relation to the earlier mentioned manchester 1985 - you can actually have a bit of fun with that as no two versions are the same so it's possible to compile the full gig.

So for Manchester you get:

Howard Jones
Manchester Apollo
15 march 1985

Sources
king biscuit flour hour transcription disc
fm 1st gen tdk d90 piccadilly fm live broadcast*

Order of king biscuit changed to real order of songs as

broadcast by Piccadilly fm

intro
things can only get better
automaton
pearl in the shell*
hide and seek
look mama
dream into action
hunger for flesh
hunt the self
what is love
no one is to blame
always asking questions
new song
don't always look at the rain
things can only get better*

The same thing can be done with the extra aylesbury tracks from it's first broadcast as they fit really neatly in.

These are the 1987 tapes

Image Image

Thanks, I didn't know there was two versions of Manchester. I don't have the one with Pearl etc from Piccadilly. Same for the Aylesbury, didn't know he played "dream of a better place" (dream into action)

Actually I just found out the same thing with Tears For Fears. The Dallas and Toronto 85 gigs had at least two versions with different tracks. Maybe I can get one of my friends to rework them into a complete gig.

I just finished putting one of the PreFM CD sources of Tears For Fears Toronto on The Traders Den but here is a link for those who can't register:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/3a7d96 ... 126/de5439
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:01 am

Thanks, it's funny you should mention tears for fears as their manchester 1985 one is another example although it requires the audience tape to make up the gig but it drops together quite nicely albeit in mp3 because I only had a mp3 of the 'cape fear' boot. I've done loads of these dropping bits in and completing the gig. My favourite two are a Police gig where I spent four hours on around fifteen minutes of recording but it's a work of art, everything flows perfectly and not one second is missed from lights off to lights on. Somebody has to come up with something monumentally rare to get it though my mate holds a back up copy. My other favourite one is the Springsteen Glastonbury soundboard comprised of tracks from three tv broadcasts and a radio broadcast which included five tracks not aired on any other platform, never repeated and no one else seems to have recorded. Fitted together very easily but it's time consuming checking starts and ends of songs and editing a couple of seconds here and there and again it's not out and about so it's pointless anyone going looking although I know they will now I've written this. Phew! I almost mentioned the 1981 recording no one else has then. That was close. I don't think most, not just on here but everywhere realise how much work these things take which is why it's grossly offensive that uploaders on guitars101 pass it off as their work and make money from it. I'm listening to Howard in Manchester now to see how practical it is to do. I'd forgot how good the KBFH version is and there's no way they will match so it will be a bumpy ride with 10 seconds of intros added here and there.
Last edited by eddie on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddie
The Jet Set

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central