Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

REQ: Elektric Music "TV 2" (Karl Bartos of Kraftwerk)

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

REQ: Elektric Music "TV 2" (Karl Bartos of Kraftwerk)

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:42 am

"TV" is an absolute favorite track of mine from former Kraftwerk member Karl Bartos, who in 1992-1993 recorded as Elektric Music. It was released as a single in various formats (I have the CD-Single) including Minidisc! There is a track called "TV 2" on this Minidisc and because the length is similar to the album version I assumed that's what it was. To my delight I just discovered today that it is, in fact, a kind of "Dub" mix of the track and it's awesome!

So I'm taking a wild chance that perhaps someone out there might have this rare track digitally transferred from the Minidisc to WAV, AIFF or FLAC??? I'd even settle for MP3 if I have to (now that's something you'll almost never hear me say!). Fingers and toes crossed but I know I'm probably wishing for a miracle here lol.

Thanks for any help as always!

https://www.discogs.com/Elektric-Music- ... ase/840390

Hear this mix here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90yJYQI-bE
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Re: REQ: Elektric Music "TV 2" (Karl Bartos of Kraftwerk)

Postby negative1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:27 am

thanks for reminding me of this... i still need to get the 10 inch, and the 12 inch.

tv2 is on the other vinyl formats, so it's easier to get from that.

i was a huge minidisc fan, so i'll probably get this someday.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby CharlburyF1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:04 pm

CharlburyF1
Take On Me

Postby Neil Kelly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks!
Neil Kelly
The Jet Set

Postby crichert » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:31 pm

Thank you CharlburyF1!!
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby the_moth » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:57 am

Always liked Lothar Manteuffel (second half of Elektric Music) from his work with Rheingold. Now listening to this for the first time and liking it very much! Thanks!
the_moth
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:26 am

CharlburyF1 wrote:Here we are TV2 in WAV.

http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/Nog9lwex/file.html

Enjoy!

Awesome! Thank you for this very clean vinyl transfer CharlburyF1, you've helped start my day off with a smile :-)
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby CharlburyF1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:01 am

You are all welcome, I know I have the original MiniDisc of this too. I will have another look around for it and if the MiniDisc Player is still up for it I will upload the whole thing.

Rob
CharlburyF1
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:56 pm

thanks for the share.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:20 pm

CharlburyF1 wrote:You are all welcome, I know I have the original MiniDisc of this too. I will have another look around for it and if the MiniDisc Player is still up for it I will upload the whole thing.

Rob

A recording (I don't know if you can actually "rip" a minidisc?) from the actual Minidisc is the only thing could best the vinyl transfer you shared :-) I'd love if you could do it, but if not, I can be happy with what you've already shared. Thanks for the effort.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby the_moth » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:14 am

This thread inspired me to look up the audio quality of Minidisc recordings. Up until 1999 Minidiscs apparently used a bitrate of 292 kbit/s, so yeah it would be interesting to compare the Minidisc single to CharlburyF1s impeccable vinyl rip!
Also, what is the difference between the songs "TV" and "Television" on the single CD?
the_moth
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:20 am

the_moth wrote:This thread inspired me to look up the audio quality of Minidisc recordings. Up until 1999 Minidiscs apparently used a bitrate of 292 kbit/s, so yeah it would be interesting to compare the Minidisc single to CharlburyF1s impeccable vinyl rip!
Also, what is the difference between the songs "TV" and "Television" on the single CD?

The version of "TV" is an edit of the album version. "Television" is slowed way down and has none of Karl's human vocals
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:16 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:
CharlburyF1 wrote:You are all welcome, I know I have the original MiniDisc of this too. I will have another look around for it and if the MiniDisc Player is still up for it I will upload the whole thing.

Rob

A recording (I don't know if you can actually "rip" a minidisc?) from the actual Minidisc is the only thing could best the vinyl transfer you shared :-) I'd love if you could do it, but if not, I can be happy with what you've already shared. Thanks for the effort.

You can do several things. Of course, analog output, can be recorded. I had a dedicated pc board, with optical inputs, that you can use to digitize output from optical also,
so no quality loss.

Many high end sound cards, can do optical in and out.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:52 pm

negative1 wrote:
Fred Taghon wrote:

Rob

You can do several things. Of course, analog output, can be recorded. I had a dedicated pc board, with optical inputs, that you can use to digitize output from optical also,
so no quality loss.

later

Yes I've done this with my Mac Mini which has analog and optical input in the same input jack. I've recorded stuff from DVD using optical outs on the DVD player and optical in on the Mini. But did Minidisc players have optical output? I looked at a few examples on eBay and none mentioned optical outs. Just curious as I was never familiar with them.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:
negative1 wrote:You can do several things. Of course, analog output, can be recorded. I had a dedicated pc board, with optical inputs, that you can use to digitize output from optical also,
so no quality loss.

later

Yes I've done this with my Mac Mini which has analog and optical input in the same input jack. I've recorded stuff from DVD using optical outs on the DVD player and optical in on the Mini. But did Minidisc players have optical output? I looked at a few examples on eBay and none mentioned optical outs. Just curious as I was never familiar with them.

almost every deck has optical output:
http://www.minidisc.org/deck_table.html

i even have a portable with optical out.... decks tend to have TOSlink output ports.

my model is : sony je-500

http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MDS-JE500+S37.html

Name Desc Price Connectors Dimensions

Sony MDS-JE500
Home MD Deck
Intro: 6/1996 MSRP $600 (MDS-S37 ¥49,000)
Availability:
in: line, optical. out: line, optical
17 x 4-3/4 x 11" 7lb. 12oz.

================================

most of the time, even getting a 44.1khz analog recording is just as good as the 48khz digital recording.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central