Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

BERLIN: upcoming 2017 album with John Crawford

BERLIN: upcoming 2017 album with John Crawford

Postby Berlin Boy » Wed May 03, 2017 9:02 pm

Here's a recent interview (December 2016) with Terri Nunn. She talks about Berlin's upcoming 2017 album which will feature John Crawford and David Diamond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyfEmSwrSdg
Berlin Boy
Running Up That Hill

Re: BERLIN: upcoming 2017 album with John Crawford

Postby Qbertqubes » Thu May 04, 2017 6:04 am

sounds great & she looks amazing as always
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Thu May 04, 2017 6:31 am

I was just listening to "Love Life" and the "Dancing In Berlin" compilation yesterday! Looking forward to hearing what they come up with all these years later. She has always been such a powerful vocalist - never tire of her voice.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Sean » Thu May 04, 2017 12:14 pm

I just went to a Berlin concert and David appeared and he was totally rocking out like a heavy metal guy on guitar. I hope that's not a sign of the new David Diamond. I loved his synth work on Pleasure Victim and Love Life and would hope for more of that with John there too.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue May 09, 2017 5:44 am

Hmmm. Will adopt a wait-and-see posture on this one. Berlin could be interesting, and Ms. Nunn had the pipes. I still prefer the "Information" album to the stuff that followed. I'd be happier with a reissue of "Tell Me Why v. 1" on CD at a price that I could afford!
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Sean » Sat May 20, 2017 9:47 am

If they can release the first two albums with bonus tracks, dvd, and include all the early 7 inches with the different versions, that would be a dream come true.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Bellenger1981 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Sean wrote:If they can release the first two albums with bonus tracks, dvd, and include all the early 7 inches with the different versions, that would be a dream come true.

I agree, except make that their first 3 albums with Terri Nunn.
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Babakazoo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 am

Hopefully the album will retain the sound of the 80's stuff they released. I really liked 'Animal', the last album Terri Nunn & Berlin released, she still has a fantastic voice and is totally amazing live. Working with some of the original band line-up should produce some amazing stuff!. I agree that the first 3 albums with Terri Nunn badly need remastering, with bonus tracks - but it is unlikely Geffen/Universal will ever consider it. Such a pity as 'Love Life' is one of my all time favourite 80's albums.
Babakazoo
Running Up That Hill

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:26 am

I hope Ms Nunn will use this opportunity to ease on that tired MILF image she seems to be stuck with for the last two decades or so and bring more lyrical variety. Constant "bitch in heat" stuff at her age looks and sounds tiresome, I bet she has other things to say.

And yes, it's high time their 1980s albums were reissued with bonus tracks and stuff. Can't be that the band is forgotten and has no commercial viability at all.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:36 pm

This is very odd because somehow I was convinced Nunn had passed away from cancer a few years ago. Has there been a female New Wave singer who has died in the past few years?
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Willbfree » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:19 pm

humanracer wrote:This is very odd because somehow I was convinced Nunn had passed away from cancer a few years ago. Has there been a female New Wave singer who has died in the past few years?

Chrissy Amphlett Of Divinyls.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Willbfree » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:43 pm

Sean wrote:If they can release the first two albums with bonus tracks, dvd, and include all the early 7 inches with the different versions, that would be a dream come true.

Trvia: I recently noticed that there are two versions of the original MAO version of The Metro. Most people know the third version, which was on the Pleasure Victim album on Geffen - which Had an entirely different mix and possibly had the synth parts reperformed.

1) There is the MAO version of The Metro from the 7".

2) And there is the MAO version of The Metro from the original low-budget promo music video, which is identical to the 7" except there are no hand claps! (Or synthesizer hand-claps, since they weren't really hand claps). I only noticed because I was trying to upgrade the soundtrack of the video (as found on Youtube) by using the vinyl, and realized the video had no handclaps. The original low-budget music video of The Metro is essentially Terri Nunn rolling around on a bed. A still-frame from it became the cover image of Pleasure Victim. An entirely new music video for The Metro was paid for by Geffen for the Pleasure Victim album; that's the high-budget version everyone saw on MTV.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Thefxc2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:30 am

This sounds interesting, but Crawford became an evangelical Christian at some point during the 90s, so I'm not certain what to expect from new material.
Thefxc2
Take On Me

Postby RevUp64 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:53 am

RevUp64
Switchin' to Glide

Postby postpunkmonk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:34 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:I hope Ms Nunn will use this opportunity to ease on that tired MILF image she seems to be stuck with for the last two decades or so and bring more lyrical variety. Constant "bitch in heat" stuff at her age looks and sounds tiresome, I bet she has other things to say.

That in a nutshell is why I prefer the first Berlin album to all the others. Teri Nunn is a better singer than Virginia Macolino, but the songs that Crawford wrote for "Pleasure Victim" were one dimensional anthems of stunted sexuality. Sadly, that hung over Berlin like a pall going forward. There are some great pop songs along the way, but to many, Berlin is largely about sex. It's a branding issue. I might have paid attention to Nunn over the last 30 years had there been any indication that she was moving on, but her image [titles/cover art] seemed to be stuck in that sex gear. I would love to hear them together again writing different sorts of songs.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations