Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Which of these songs do you consider New Wave?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Which of these songs do you consider New Wave?

Postby MissingPersons » Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 pm

- Drive by The Cars
- I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
- Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
- Africa by Toto
- Dancing In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen

They are pretty similar sound-wise, and all of them were huge hits in the 80s, and they can be found in multiple 80s compilations. But for example in Wikipedia, Africa and IWTKWLI are classified only as "Soft Rock", when Broken Wings is classified as "New Wave" and "Dance Rock" (Dance Rock, really?) too.
Last edited by MissingPersons on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Re: Which of these songs do you consider New Wave?

Postby q89747 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:35 am

None.
q89747
Personal Jesus

Postby swerve » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:44 pm

None
Last edited by swerve on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby tha_farfetch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:14 pm

The Cars was a New Wave band.

"Drive" was produced in 1984 (New Wave era 1979-1984/85).

So, "Drive" by The Cars is New Wave.
tha_farfetch
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:08 pm

See our muliti page discussion about whether the cars were new wave in the new remasters for panorama and candy-o.

for me, the cars were rock.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby tha_farfetch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:42 pm

Well, for me the three American New Wave pioneers and defining New Wave bands from the era were The Cars, Blondie and The Talking Heads. I hear 100% New Wave from The Cars debut album to "It's Not The Night" from Heartbeat City in 1984. New Wave eventually emerged to Pop after 1984, that's what happened exactly to The Cars "Door to Door" in 1987, a 100% Pop album.
tha_farfetch
Personal Jesus

Postby MissingPersons » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:40 pm

swerve wrote:None.

Was Bruce really Dancing In The Sark ?

Fixed.

tha_farfetch wrote:Well, for me the three American New Wave pioneers and defining New Wave bands from the era were The Cars, Blondie and The Talking Heads. I hear 100% New Wave from The Cars debut album to "It's Not The Night" from Heartbeat City in 1984. New Wave eventually emerged to Pop after 1984, that's what happened exactly to The Cars "Door to Door" in 1987, a 100% Pop album.

Are the songs "Double Trouble" and "Door To Door" poppy, in your opinion?
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby tha_farfetch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:32 am

Poppy as "You are the Girl".
tha_farfetch
Personal Jesus

Postby MissingPersons » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:22 am

tha_farfetch wrote:Poppy as "You are the Girl".

YATG was a poppy tune indeed. But the guitar-driven Double Trouble, poppy?
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:21 am

I wouldn't consider any of those songs new wave.

The "new waveness" of the Cars can be argued ad nauseum. But most would tell you that by the release of heartbeat city they were past the temporal constraints of new wave.

Let's try it this way...the song "we can get together" by icehouse sounded very new wave at the time; few would argue. However, the song "crazy" by icehouse is something altogether different...call it pop, AOR, your choice. But it's from a different place than 'new wave'. It's the place where acts like mister mister, cutting crew and the hooters come from. It's not necessarily a bad place, just different.

hey, ask 20 geezers the new wave/not new wave questions, you get 59 answers. Good luck!!
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby MissingPersons » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:39 am

I would consider the song "Crazy" and the album "Man Of Colors" in general, an AOR record.

And since you mentioned Mr. Mister, Cutting Crew and The Hooters, I have noticed that all three of them, have been labelled "New Wave" according to some sources. Maybe Mr. Mister's debut (I Wear The Face) was pretty New Wavish...but "Welcome To The Real World" was what we would call "Hi-Tech AOR". Cutting Crew would be AOR/Adult Contemporary and The Hooters...well, that's hard to tell. They were a melting pot of various styles. (Hard Rock, Country, Folk and also some New Wave indeed)
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby negative8ball » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:15 pm

I often wonder how some of these sat at the time vs now - I agree with the general sentiment (none of these particular songs are new wave, Cars are a borderline NW act as a band) - but, I was young when this stuff was coming out - so it all lumped together more than I think it does now, and I wonder how much of the labelling is a problem of "there" vs "now" in the case of some borderline bands.
negative8ball
Running Up That Hill

Postby MissingPersons » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:23 pm

I guess there was a time (perhaps mid-80s) where literally almost everything that included synths was labelled as "New Wave". Even Elton John and Leonard Cohen had a few songs labelled as such.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby InvisibleMan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:46 pm

an interesting band that i recently came across is The Truth.... their early releases are UK pop/alternative, however their last LP Jump is rather standard AOR/Pop, just compare 1983 vs 1989

1983 -The Truth - Confusion (Hits Us Everytime)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz1Y7kM9SwA

1989 - The Truth - Wings of a Prayer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b70xqy2_IOI
InvisibleMan
The Jet Set

Postby MarcD » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:00 am

MissingPersons wrote:- Drive by The Cars
- I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner
- Broken Wings by Mr. Mister
- Africa by Toto
- Dancing In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen

They are pretty similar sound-wise, and all of them were huge hits in the 80s, and they can be found in multiple 80s compilations. But for example in Wikipedia, Africa and IWTKWLI are classified only as "Soft Rock", when Broken Wings is classified as "New Wave" and "Dance Rock" (Dance Rock, really?) too.

1) To me, the Cars are New Wave. The greatest American NW band of all time.

2) Foreigner? Not a bad band but not New Wave. I do like the song "I Want To Know What Love Is", though. It's my fave Foreigner track.

3) Mr. Mister are one of my least favorite bands of the 80s. No offense to any Mr. Mister fans out there. To me they sound like New Wave as imagined by some corporate record company executive. Personally I vote no on Mr. Mister being NW.

4) Love the song Africa, and it has NW aspects to it, but to me its not New Wave.

5) That Springsteen track is pop/rock, in no way is it NW. Also, I got terminally sick of "Dancing In The Dark" and almost all Springsteen, in the 80s. The only songs by him on my playlist are "Streets of Philadelphia", "Radio Nowhere", and my fave Springsteen track, "Murder Incorporated".
MarcD
Take On Me

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions