Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Wold you consider Honeymoon Suite's debut, "New Wave"?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Wold you consider Honeymoon Suite's debut, "New Wave"?

Postby MissingPersons » Mon May 22, 2017 2:35 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlmeL1YV4ew

Sure, they're known more as an AOR band, but their first album resembles bands like Duran Duran or Missing Persons a lot. Especially the songs
Wave Babies and Stay In The Light, are pure New Wave (or Power Pop). Also It's Your Heart, Now That You Got Me and Funny Business are very New Wavish. The track that was more close to the AOR sound was only Burning In Love.

I'd say it would count more like as a New Wave album.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Re: Wold you consider Honeymoon Suite's debut, "New Wave"?

Postby obs » Tue May 23, 2017 1:27 am

Don't know, but if you're a fan and you haven't seen their studio session from six months ago, courtesy of Boom 97.3 ...

Burning in Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjFJdEv6okM

Stay in the Light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDwZBl-unTk

Wave Babies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flv2k9zySIc

They still sound great. I love the intro to Wave Babies.

Johnny and Derry also did a couple of Behind the Vinyl videos for Boom, as well.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby MissingPersons » Tue May 23, 2017 9:25 am

Yes I'm a big fan of the band. My favorite is their debut, but I like also The Big Prize and Racing After Midnight. Monsters Under Your Bed was really good as well, yet way underrated.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby obs » Wed May 24, 2017 1:19 am

I only ever got into their first two albums. Ah, the memories I have whenever I listen to "The Big Prize". Takes me back to weekends and pit parties :D .
obs
Room at the Top

Postby FanFan » Sun May 28, 2017 10:29 am

Big debate going on in the New Releases section about if even The Cars were proper new wave — but I"d say Honeymoon Suite was just one of those fine AOR bands smart enough to pick up on a new sound. They even swiped the synth player from Spoons to join their band.
FanFan
Take On Me

Postby MissingPersons » Mon May 29, 2017 9:43 am

Would you consider songs such as Wave Babies and Stay In The Light, AOR?

Also New Girl Now is very very DuranDuran-ish. Only Burnin' In Love was AOR from the lead singles, at least.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby tha_farfetch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Yes indeed. 1984 belongs to the New Wave era (1979-1984/85), but soon they changed to glam metal.
tha_farfetch
Personal Jesus

Postby MissingPersons » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:45 pm

Honeymoon Suite were never Glam Metal. What common do they have with Ratt, Poison or Cinderella?

They were AOR since The Big Prize.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby tha_farfetch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:35 am

MissingPersons wrote:Honeymoon Suite were never Glam Metal. What common do they have with Ratt, Poison or Cinderella?

They were AOR since The Big Prize.

Apart from the hair, everything.
tha_farfetch
Personal Jesus

Postby wasproxy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:41 am

About as new wave as Bon Jovi
wasproxy
Take On Me

Postby MissingPersons » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Gosh, are you kidding me? Actually ONLY the big hair was what they were having in common. Listen to The Big Prize album and Invasion Of Your Privacy back to back. And tell me if you notice any similarities.

f650gsd wrote:About as new wave as Bon Jovi

Well yeah, Bon Jovi are a band they have more in common. And I don't think BJ were Glam Metal but more like an AOR band with a Glam Metal appearance (during the 80s). Like Europe and Def Leppard in Hysteria and Andrenalize.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:31 am

I have to come out of retirement for this. Indeed, honeymoon suite are not new wave. They would probably be best described as AOR as others here have already pointed out. Really good 80's Canadian aor... perhaps a poor man's Loverboy? (If you like this genre, let me direct you to the band Haywire's debut lp 'bad boys').

If you weren't actively listening to music in the 79-83 period (those years not set in stone) you're certainly excused for being fuzzy on what was considered 'new wave' or not. I've certainly broadened my definition over the years. But having been there I know that say XTC or devo was and that tom petty or toto wasn't ...although all roamed the earth simultaneously!

WHAT YOUR POST REALLY SPEAKS TO is the sad loss of regular rock bands today. There is no band like honeymoon suite or even say foreigner, that's just a standard-issue rock band, in today's market. We have the bands on alternative-rock radio, we have extreme metal, but who would be an example of a young band with little image who gets on the top 40 radio? The only example I can think of is maroon 5... and I hesitate to call them rock.

I used to denounce the existence of many of these types of bands, but now acknowledge their significance. Why was this niche obliterated?
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby MrOktober » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:36 pm

bpdp3 wrote:I have to come out of retirement for this. Indeed, honeymoon suite are not new wave. They would probably be best described as AOR as others here have already pointed out. Really good 80's Canadian aor... perhaps a poor man's Loverboy? (If you like this genre, let me direct you to the band Haywire's debut lp 'bad boys').

If you weren't actively listening to music in the 79-83 period (those years not set in stone) you're certainly excused for being fuzzy on what was considered 'new wave' or not. I've certainly broadened my definition over the years. But having been there I know that say XTC or devo was and that tom petty or toto wasn't ...although all roamed the earth simultaneously!

WHAT YOUR POST REALLY SPEAKS TO is the sad loss of regular rock bands today. There is no band like honeymoon suite or even say foreigner, that's just a standard-issue rock band, in today's market. We have the bands on alternative-rock radio, we have extreme metal, but who would be an example of a young band with little image who gets on the top 40 radio? The only example I can think of is maroon 5... and I hesitate to call them rock.

I used to denounce the existence of many of these types of bands, but now acknowledge their significance. Why was this niche obliterated?

Because in the 70's and early 80's, Top 40 radio was dictated by and catered to the taste of adults, not 9-13 year old girls as it is today.
See through faded, super jaded and out of my mind
MrOktober
Take On Me

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:26 pm

maybe you're right...maybe. 9-12 year olds probably are responsible for the radio Disney-nature of much of today's top 40. BUT there should still be room for a regular, pop-minded (i.e. Melodic) ROCK band to exist today. Was it the proliferation of the internet that forced the target demographic down in age... and perhaps away from typical "aor" type bands?

And I won't listen to arguments against hip hop. There was rap in the 80's, the heyday of good bands like honeymoon suite. It's not hip hops fault If listeners choose it over say a band like journey. For whatever reason it's only grown in appeal, where "aor" died on the vine. Why?? That's the choice of 13-25 year olds, not just tweens. Why??
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby MissingPersons » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:48 pm

Poor man's Loverboy...well indeed. Actually Loverboy's debut is also marketed as New Wave, from what I've seen.

bpdp3 wrote:maybe you're right...maybe. 9-12 year olds probably are responsible for the radio Disney-nature of much of today's top 40. BUT there should still be room for a regular, pop-minded (i.e. Melodic) ROCK band to exist today. Was it the proliferation of the internet that forced the target demographic down in age... and perhaps away from typical "aor" type bands?

And I won't listen to arguments against hip hop. There was rap in the 80's, the heyday of good bands like honeymoon suite. It's not hip hops fault If listeners choose it over say a band like journey. For whatever reason it's only grown in appeal, where "aor" died on the vine. Why?? That's the choice of 13-25 year olds, not just tweens. Why??

Well, AOR was never popular outside of the States, no?
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions