Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The pursuit of starting a reissue label

Re: The pursuit of starting a reissue label

Postby Rubellan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:54 pm

I can't really explain it, but the idea of having a totally legit release is very appealing to me, and will feel very rewarding. Doors can be open by these kinds of things. Hell, it was my name being in the Cherry Red reissues that got Futurismo to seek me out a couple of years ago, and that led to another project I did last year as well. I've got lots of release ideas, and I'm sure some will appeal to some of the nay-sayers when/if the time comes. But the releases will be out there for those who want them. I'm not going to beg anyone to buy but I'm remaining confident that the titles will sell, maybe not like hotcakes but most of them will be with the distributor and their connections will do most of the work. But since people are always complaining about titles that have never been released that the artist owns the rights to, feel free to list them. I'm not opposed to putting out something that I may not necessarily be a fan of or even familiar with, as long as it's part of the 80's Classic Alternative umbrella. You just have to be sure the artists own or has a valid license for the master AND publishing rights.

Scott
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:26 pm

I'm checking each day to see what the new developments are, hoping that you will succeed.
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 pm

If Clare Grogan doesn't give a shit about AI, why should I. They are rightly singled out as an interesting band that put out a vast array of music, from Siouxsie clones, squeaky pop (their worst phase--Happy Birthday being one of the worst songs ever) and sophisto-pop (their best).

Some mechanism of working with the bands themselves is to me the only productive result. I hate to say Fiat Lux again, but, Fiat Lux. I would pay a relative fortune for remastered pressed CDs of bands like that.

And I reject the notion that CDs sourced from vinyl are inherently flawed. Vinyl on a turntable (something few own) of course sounds better but the very idea of buying and storing vinyl is ridiculous to me. The Russian and other vinyl-sourced CDs that are released from time to time sound just fine.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby telekon3 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:47 am

By hook or crook, that was all I was saying. Get a good quality release or reissue out of everything on everyone's wish-lists.
Journeys to Glory for some. I just want the best quality source for the music I love to listen to before I die. This thread/forum just might be the cause.
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby Willbfree » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:36 am

Barmy wrote:Your proposed releases, namely AI, and others. Why? The existing AI CDs are OK.

Because there are people who don't have them, and would buy them for the first time if they become available?

Barmy wrote:Any AI reissues will be lost among innumerable AI reissues. I will not buy them again no matter what.

What world are you living in, in which there were innumerable Altered Images reissues?

Barmy wrote:If Clare Grogan doesn't give a shit about AI, why should I.

Who pissed in your cereal this morning? Lighten up. Seriously the negativity is unpleasant.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby omar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm in favor of having a physical format too, CDs preferably. Yes i admit downloading has taken over but there's still the dedicated few that cherish a physical product in their hands, booklets etc. CDs will never go away completely, just like vinyl.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:14 pm

CDs will not go away soon unless, maybe, replaced by another physical format.

But seriously I wonder about the average age of people posting here. Millennials or whatever they may be called do not own physical formats. Other than, maybe, vinyl.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby telekon3 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:49 pm

It depends on what your priorities are. I only buy CDs if I can't get them anywhere else as far as the quality of files I turn everything into FLACs or WAVs files and store it on a hard drive. I like the convenience of digital files but I still want the best quality I can get for those digital files. Sure it's hard to assess the value but the value is the music in my collection I just want to hear the songs I don't care about a resale value or a collection value/worth. Plus people giveaway digital files or trade digital files they hang on to rare CDs or sell them for a high price.
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby Thefxc2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:04 am

I'm not the biggest Altered Images fan but I'll buy these reissues if you get them done. Good luck!
Thefxc2
Take On Me

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:51 am

I understand your drive to remaster/reissue interesting artist's work on legitimate CDs. I have spent the last 20 years doing my own vinyl transfer work and have gotten better and more sophisticated at doing it on what is a reasonably low budget. I primarily used to manually edit noise transients in a wave form as my sole means of noise reduction that did not affect the music. There could be a thousand of these done over several hours per song, and it's how I came to the name Post-Punk Monk. My friend likened what I do to making an illuminated manuscript and when I started maintaining an online presence, I went with that. I'm a graphic designer so I pour a lot into the design of the product as well. Putting elaborate posters of booklets into the package. Occasionally making "boxed sets of god," as I call them. Assembling 3-10 discs of an artist's complete rarity output into a single, coherent package. When I create a CD that is as close as something can be to a legit CD that has never existed before, it's the best feeling in the world, so I totally get your drive to do this, no matter how much red tape and naysaying might dog at your heels.

It's all well and good to talk of CD-Rs and to hell with the labels, but even if you use costly archival gold/printables like I do, they are not a glass mastered/screen printed CD. They are delicate and environmentally sensitive to heat. One afternoon in a hot car can ruin your whole day. A professionally duplicated CD is a durable sound carrier. I love CDs because they are reasonably tough and if mastered properly, offer incredible sound and durability in a convenient package. Unlike files, they never heed "backing up." If you want to rip them to your media server, then fine. That's not how I roll, though.

Please have another shot at the Lene Lovich catalog. I am out [what was for me] serious money that the LL website took for her self-produced box [which turned out the be CD-Rs for those who actually received them] as well as the two-disc version of both versions of "Stateless," which as far as I know, no one received. This needs to happen. I also echo the needs of the Shriekback catalog to be bettered. What the band have done ranges from okay to sloppy. While some of them were on glass mastered CD at first, which was better by my reckoning, they are now opting for CD-Rs. Which kind of annoys me. Some amazing stuff is getting released, and I'm happy to tithe to the band directly, but they use top of the line CD-R reproduction: a professionally printed digipak with a silk-screened CD-R in it! This sort of thing drives me nuts. Like wearing loafers with a tuxedo! Duplication for 1000 of these costs about $1.07 each. A glass mastered package of similar specs is only twice that and I'l gladly pay $5-10 more for an actual CD.

Bottom line? Keep pressing on with this. I see nothing but good that could come from this from where I'm standing. If I had more time and money on my hands, I might be starting a actual reissue label too, instead of just pretending to do it as a hobby.
Last edited by postpunkmonk on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby discobastard » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:37 pm

discobastard
Running Up That Hill

Postby Rubellan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:37 am

Here's the update. I submitted 3 replacement titles to Sony a couple of weeks ago, all different artists. I just got the quotes this morning. I was definitely spoiled by the Altered Images quote because all 3 of these are more expensive, some modestly, others considerably. It really is based per artist/per title. I'm likely going to move forward with with 2 of them to start with, this will include a CD with bonus tracks, an LP, and a DVD attached to one of the titles.

Last week I was contacted by Bill Inglot, who has remastered countless reissues since the 80's, and worked with Rhino and Warners among others. We had a lengthy phone call in which he said he would be happy to put me in touch with someone at Warners regarding licensing. I've tried to follow up with him since the call but no response as of yet.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Encouraging news. Keep it coming.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby FanFan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Just another vote of support here. I know it's been a tough year between the ODW disc doing you wrong and that bizarre twist on your AI reissue plans, but trying to salvage music is a worthy cause.
FanFan
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:21 am

FanFan wrote:Just another vote of support here. I know it's been a tough year between the ODW disc doing you wrong and that bizarre twist on your AI reissue plans, but trying to salvage music is a worthy cause.

Thanks for the support, every bit helps. I am inquiring for a breakdown of the cost of one of the licenses. The LP I want to do is about triple the cost of a CD reissue. I know vinyl manufacturing is more expensive (approximately $6000 for a 1000 pressing as opposed to $1500 for CD's), but I'm curious of the breakdown to justify the rest of the cost. I could literally buy a brand new car off the showroom floor, and it's not a particularly popular artist. And I might as well spill that one license that I was quoted but not likely doing (due to the cost) was a much needed upgrade of the Thompson Twins 'Set' album. I'm sure most remember how awful the Edsel release was, where they pictured the master boxes in the booklet but poorly mastered from vinyl instead. I wanted to provide a full new remaster from master tapes. Let's just say the cost for this title was only slightly below 5 figures, which may be why Edsel took the budget mastering route. So as much as I would love to correct their mistake, it's just not going to happen at the moment. Maybe at some point in the future, despite the awful Edsel edition still being available.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations