Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Question about Eurogliders

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Question about Eurogliders

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:13 pm

I have the 2-albums-on-1-CD ("This Island" and "Absolutely") released in 1996 https://www.discogs.com/Eurogliders-Thi ... se/3602431 It features the same version of the "This Island" album that I remember having on USA cassette back in 1984.

I also have the "Maybe Only I Dream - Greatest Hits" Australian CD from 1991 https://www.discogs.com/Eurogliders-Gre ... ter/920479 Three of the songs ("No Action", "Another Day In The Big World" and "Heaven (Must Be There)") are different versions from the "This Island" CD mentioned above. I have always assumed this version of "No Action" was the original single mix, later remixed for the album, assumed this version of "Another Day In The Big World" was the original Australian 12" version and assumed this version of "Heaven (Must Be There)" was the original single mix, later remixed for the album. And while the "Greatest Hits" track listing showed "Maybe Only I Dream (US Remix)", it's the same version I have on my "This Island" CD and the version I remember from my old cassette.

Things now get really confusing, as I just found an Australian 1988 CD reissue of "This Island" https://www.discogs.com/Eurogliders-Thi ... se/1835394 which features the same mixes of "No Action", "Another Day In The Big World" and "Heaven (Must Be There)" that are on the "Greatest Hits" CD (ALL of which differ from MY 1996 "This Island" CD). But it ALSO features a mix of "Maybe Only I Dream" that differs from the version on both my "This Island" AND "Greatest Hits" CD's. Upon further listening, I discovered that the versions of "Someone", Judy's World", "Waiting For You" and "It's The Way" are also different from my 1996 "This Island" CD lol.

I read the Eurogliders wikipedia page and it mentions that the "This Island" album was recorded and nearly completed in 1983 but then it was decided to have several tracks remixed before releasing the album. So it APPEARS that this 1988 Australian CD features the ORIGINAL mixes of ALL of the tracks?? I've tried to confirm this, but there is no evidence on discogs.com of any 1984 vinyl LP's that match the track times of this 1988 CD.

So I've come to this conclusion thus far regarding my 1996 "This Island" CD track listing:

1 Heaven (Must Be There) 3:46 - is the Jon Mathias Remix
2 Someone 3:42 - is the Mark Moffatt Remix
3 No Action 3:28 - is the Mark Moffatt Remix
4 Never Say 3:39 - is the same as the original mix on the 1988 Australian CD
5 Maybe Only I Dream 3:19 - is the Jon Mathias US Remix
6 Cold Comfort 3:37 - is the same as the original mix on the 1988 Australian CD
7 Another Day In The Big World 3:02 - is the Jon Mathias 7" mix
8 Keep It Quiet 2:55 - is the same as the original mix on the 1988 Australian CD
9 Nothing To Say 3:42 - is the same as the original mix on the 1988 Australian CD
10 Judy's World 3:53 - is the Jon Mathias Remix
11 Waiting For You 4:25 - is the Mark Moffatt Remix
12 It's The Way 3:36 - is the Jon Mathias Remix

and I've concluded this about the 1988 Australian CD track listing:

1 Heaven (Must Be There) 3:42 - is the original 7" mix also featured on the "Greatest Hits" CD
2 Someone 3:31 - is the original mix?
3 No Action 3:31 - is the original 7" mix also featured on the "Greatest Hits" CD
4 Never Say 3:39 - is the same mix featured on the 1996 CD
5 Maybe Only I Dream 3:34 - is the original mix?
6 Cold Comfort 3:38 - is the same mix featured on the 1996 CD
7 Keep It Quiet 2:52 - is the same mix featured on the 1996 CD
8 Nothing To Say 3:42 - is the same mix featured on the 1996 CD
9 Another Day In The Big World 4:31 - is the original 12" version(?) and is also featured on the "Greatest Hits" CD
10 Judy's World 3:37 - is the original mix?
12 It's The Way 4:10 - is the original mix?

Just wondering if anyone can confirm my suspicions regarding these differences or give any further information/explanation? Just seems weird that (according to discogs.com entries), for the 1988, 1990 and 2003 Australian CD reissues, they hauled out all the original mixes instead of the well-known version of the album that features several tracks that had been "remixed". Yet it doesn't look like any of the original Australian LP's match those CD reissues. So confused! It would make sense if this form of the album was the original vinyl LP release in Australia, then having several tracks remixed before being released internationally, but I see no evidence of this being the case.

Either way, what I assume to be the "original mixes" of several of the album tracks has made for some interesting listening 33yrs on lol. Just different enough to be worthwhile having in my collection.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Re: Question about Eurogliders

Postby crichert » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:19 am

Hey Fred,

I sent you a PM. 8)
crichert
Room at the Top

Re: Question about Eurogliders

Postby obs » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:12 pm

Reminds me of when I discovered the original version of Duran's Rio album, having first owned the Kershenbaum edition. :mrgreen:
obs
Room at the Top

Return to Obscure 80s Central