Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

Postby Rubellan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Unfortunately, it seems like there's always a chance something could go wrong. But this first step with Universal will let me know if there are any issues, at least from the legal perspective. It really consists of them reviewing the original contract from 1982 and determining the fee required (from me) based on that, as long as they see no roadblocks. But it's just a guessing game when they will actually review the request. As mentioned in the other thread, Sony have clearly stated it's all about priority when it comes to the legal review, but she did tell me a good estimate is 3 months, give or take a little. I'm hoping Universal are similar. The sales manager originally asked me to check in with him at the end of September to see if legal reviewed the request (it was sent to them on September 11), but they had not yet. And as recently as last week, he responded to my latest inquiry by stating that legal are likely working on higher priority requests at the moment. But it's been in their queue now for 2 months so we can only hope the review is coming soon.

I just got off the phone with Dane Conover. What a nice and friendly guy. He said another label wanted to release the album about 15 years or so ago but at that time Universal wanted a unit guarantee well into the 5 figures, which just wasn't realistic. Nowadays, I can release it from Universal with a 1500 unit guarantee. Dane has a load of period material that he is going to let me review for bonus tracks. I hope to cram the CD to the maximum with unreleased goodies. But we still have to wait for Universal's initial response.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Qbertqubes » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:27 pm

You can put me down for an official cd when it comes out. Why waste money on a bootleg just to buy it again I will buy the real thing. I have it on CD-R all ready so I am dying to replace it the right way and with bonus tracks
Last edited by Qbertqubes on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby Danielwaver » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Rubellan wrote:Unfortunately, it seems like there's always a chance something could go wrong. But this first step with Universal will let me know if there are any issues, at least from the legal perspective. It really consists of them reviewing the original contract from 1982 and determining the fee required (from me) based on that, as long as they see no roadblocks. But it's just a guessing game when they will actually review the request. As mentioned in the other thread, Sony have clearly stated it's all about priority when it comes to the legal review, but she did tell me a good estimate is 3 months, give or take a little. I'm hoping Universal are similar. The sales manager originally asked me to check in with him at the end of September to see if legal reviewed the request (it was sent to them on September 11), but they had not yet. And as recently as last week, he responded to my latest inquiry by stating that legal are likely working on higher priority requests at the moment. But it's been in their queue now for 2 months so we can only hope the review is coming soon.

I just got off the phone with Dane Conover. What a nice and friendly guy. He said another label wanted to release the album about 15 years or so ago but at that time Universal wanted a unit guarantee well into the 5 figures, which just wasn't realistic. Nowadays, I can release it from Universal with a 1500 unit guarantee. Dane has a load of period material that he is going to let me review for bonus tracks. I hope to cram the CD to the maximum with unreleased goodies. But we still have to wait for Universal's initial response.

Oh ok, sorry but I have heard this story on many unreleased vinyl records. At the end of the day the label just doesn't care enough to have this great album released as they have more pressing priorities. I guarantee that we won't see this on CD but I hope I'm wrong.
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Postby Barmy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 am

Rubellan, you officially suck. Beyond pathetic. You should be banned from this site. This is the first time that anyone has inflicted actual harm to people who post here. The very idea of using new release posts to shut down something YOU want to release is COMPLETELY antithetical to what this site is about.

And I already have another source lined up for this when they get it in stock. And it's not your bootlegger, but a pressed CD.

Loser.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby Rubellan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:33 am

Oh Barmy, I just want to say thank you because reading your post gave me such a laugh with my morning coffee. Your drama queen status just doubled. I think I'll put the following in the credits on the CD: "Special thanks to Barmy from the New Wave Outpost for all of the laughs and amusement. I couldn't have seen this through to completion without your unique brand of motivation. You rock!"
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:07 am

I was going to buy it anyway. Tx.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby rewind » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 am

telekon3 wrote:What about the sale of used CDs?
The record companies and the artists don't see a dime from those sales, while the re-seller site makes a commission.

As a point of fact, selling used CD's is perfectly permissible under the First Sale Doctrine, which was codified into U.S. law under the Copyright Act of 1976.

Selling unauthorized reproductions -- bootlegs -- is illegal.

Barmy wrote:The very idea of using new release posts to shut down something YOU want to release is COMPLETELY antithetical to what this site is about.

Actually it's very much in line with what this site is about. The instructions on the Obscure 80s Central page clearly state that "requesting songs that are ... easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed." This site routinely removed links to in-print material so as not to run afoul of the law.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:55 pm

All good. That's why I never post new threads about CDs! Thanks!!!!!

I don't need this website to let me know about "unofficial" CDs.

So let's go back to complaining about the absence of 7 inch versions on the latest A Flock Of Seagulls re-re-issue.

And you wonder why this forum is essentially dead.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby Danielwaver » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:51 am

The instructions on the Obscure 80s Central page clearly state that "requesting songs that are ... easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed." This site routinely removed links to in-print material so as not to run afoul of the law.[/quote]

Oh yes dummy, Trees can easily be found on CD. What are you on? You didn't know what this is about and use your fucking copyright rant over & over again.
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Postby Rubellan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Last edited by Rubellan on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Danielwaver » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:56 pm

Barmy wrote:Rubellan, you officially suck. Beyond pathetic. You should be banned from this site. This is the first time that anyone has inflicted actual harm to people who post here. The very idea of using new release posts to shut down something YOU want to release is COMPLETELY antithetical to what this site is about.

And I already have another source lined up for this when they get it in stock. And it's not your bootlegger, but a pressed CD.

Loser.

Barmy, do you realize that it was Dane who has written the music, had that released blocked? (most likely with a hint from Rubeallaen) He has written the music and has the right to fight a bootleg release. So it's not like Rubeallan had it blocked on his own just because he's trying to get the license to release it. It remains to be seen if this will be released at all. As from what I'm seeing, Universal has no real incentive to prioritize this over other projects as the last thing they care about is the art of music.
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Postby Barmy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:13 am

I couldn't care less about this useless band.

Duh my posts were a put-on.

I won't buy this silly garbage under any circumstances. There's a reason it took a gazillion years to even bootleg it.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby Danielwaver » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Rubellan wrote:I hope to cram the CD to the maximum with unreleased goodies. But we still have to wait for Universal's initial response.

Any response from Universal Scott? I'll come back to this topic in 6 months and I can guarantee there's no interest shown by Universal. They just couldn't care less.
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Postby Barmy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:42 pm

Yeah I'm sure this CD will get major focus from Universal.

The very idea of banning something from discogs because someone else wanted to release it is so pathetic and sad. Boo hoo someone else got there first ::tears::

Discogs is easily the most valuable resource for obscurities, so interfering with it is offensive, unethical and just plain wrong. But Rubellan went there.

Again, this band means nothing to me. But interfering with discogs and banning something? That means a lot to me, and is a violation of any code of conduct I can imagine. The ban is easily circumvented to those who care.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby Rubellan » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:09 am

Last edited by Rubellan on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations