Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Altered Images 4 x CD box set

Re: Altered Images 4 x CD box set

Postby Rubellan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:45 pm

Yes, I just found that listing about an hour ago. No word about if it's been newly remastered and will contain the correct or full versions of songs.
That being said, I do have an Altered Images product currently planned for a Q1 2018 release. Since the announcement of this box, I put together another project and it definitely includes something not in this box set.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Looking forward to your version Scott. I never got those Edsel remasters. Don't think i'll be buying the Cherry Red boxset either til there's sufficient reviews.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:51 am

omar wrote:Looking forward to your version Scott. I never got those Edsel remasters. Don't think i'll be buying the Cherry Red boxset either til there's sufficient reviews.

Thanks, you won't be disappointed. Much of the artwork is already done.
The box set has now been mentioned on Super Deluxe Edition and is also on the Cherry Red website, though still no word on sourcing. Hope they don't screw it up or I might still just do the catalog down the line. But I will see what comes of my initial release.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby anfunny2003 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:13 am

Rubellan wrote:That being said, I do have an Altered Images product currently planned for a Q1 2018 release. Since the announcement of this box, I put together another project and it definitely includes something not in this box set.

Well, seeing as this is pretty much everything they did for Epic, colour me intrigued... all that's left would be the promo videos, TV appearances, Peel Sessions and Clare's solo material for London Recordings from 1987-88. Can you say anymore? Vinyl or CD?
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 am

anfunny2003 wrote:
Rubellan wrote:That being said, I do have an Altered Images product currently planned for a Q1 2018 release. Since the announcement of this box, I put together another project and it definitely includes something not in this box set.

Well, seeing as this is pretty much everything they did for Epic, colour me intrigued... all that's left would be the promo videos, TV appearances, Peel Sessions and Clare's solo material for London Recordings from 1987-88. Can you say anymore? Vinyl or CD?

The motivation for collectors will be the DVD of promos. The other contents will likely offer more appeal to casual fans than a box set but there's little else that's even available for release at this time. Remember, Cherry Red ruined my full scale reissue plans with their box so let's hope it's not messed up. Interesting side note, Daryl Easlea is now listed as doing the liner notes for this upcoming box and the person who started this thread (and threw a wrench in my plans) is no longer listed as being involved in the project. It's very possible CR got pissed at the very pre-mature announcement and severed ties. They always emphasized to me not to announce anything until they give the signal, and they were not too thrilled when they found I knew about the box set. Cherry Red also said they didn't do the BBC material because it's too costly. I don't have a contact at the BBC so I cannot even inquire, but would like to do the radio sessions at some point if possible from a financial standpoint. I haven't had a chance yet to review the Sony archive list so if I do find anything unreleased, it would likely have to be used for a future release. There's a very special reason for my release and I will reveal that info when everything is finalized. Aside from the videos, some may not see too much value in it but it's a personal release for me, and by my thinking it is essential. It is a CD+DVD collection.

On a related note, I put an inquiry to Universal a couple months ago re: Clare's solo album. They said it is listed in their archive but they had to send it over to the UK branch to research. And considering how slow it's been getting any approvals for Universal material that was officially released, I'm not holding my breath for a response about the shelved solo album anytime soon.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby anfunny2003 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:18 am

Rubellan wrote:The motivation for collectors will be the DVD of promos. The other contents will likely offer more appeal to casual fans than a box set but there's little else that's even available for release at this time. Remember, Cherry Red ruined my full scale reissue plans with their box so let's hope it's not messed up. Interesting side note, Daryl Easlea is now listed as doing the liner notes for this upcoming box and the person who started this thread (and threw a wrench in my plans) is no longer listed as being involved in the project. It's very possible CR got pissed at the very pre-mature announcement and severed ties. They always emphasized to me not to announce anything until they give the signal, and they were not too thrilled when they found I knew about the box set. Cherry Red also said they didn't do the BBC material because it's too costly. I don't have a contact at the BBC so I cannot even inquire, but would like to do the radio sessions at some point if possible from a financial standpoint. I haven't had a chance yet to review the Sony archive list so if I do find anything unreleased, it would likely have to be used for a future release. There's a very special reason for my release and I will reveal that info when everything is finalized. Aside from the videos, some may not see too much value in it but it's a personal release for me, and by my thinking it is essential. It is a CD+DVD collection.

On a related note, I put an inquiry to Universal a couple months ago re: Clare's solo album. They said it is listed in their archive but they had to send it over to the UK branch to research. And considering how slow it's been getting any approvals for Universal material that was officially released, I'm not holding my breath for a response about the shelved solo album anytime soon.

Thanks for the reply! I'll be buying that CD+DVD set so look forward to seeing the details nearer the time...

Re: Clare's album, I believe she has/had the masters in her loft a recent as the last couple of years. This image was the intended album cover, and it was due to be released February 1988, as Trash Mad (LONLP 37).

One track, Love Bomb, was released as a single in 1987 (with non-album b-side I Love The Way You Beg) and another, Reason Is The Slave (Of Passion), was included on a London Records compilation LP/CD called 'Giant'. Full track list;

01 Trash Mad
02 Strawberry
03 Love Bomb
04 Giving Up
05 Baby Blue Eyes
06 Love You Like A Work Of Art
07 Stop Up
08 Bound To Love
09 Flashback
10 Reason Is The Slave Of Passion

I believe Strawberry was earmarked for the second single release and period extras for a Trash Mad CD release now would be;

11 I Love The Way You Beg - Love Bomb 7" Single [LON 134] 1987
12 Love Bomb [Extended] - Love Bomb 12" Single [LONX 134] 1987
13 Love Bomb [Dub] - Love Bomb 12" Single [LONX 134] 1987

...plus perhaps whatever bonus material was completed for the Strawberry single package (b-side/remix). I always hoped at least that one day Love Bomb would find it's way on to some random compilation or Altered Images best of, but nope, not yet!
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:33 am

OK, wow! Where did you get that track listing? I did see the photo from Clare's twitter when she said she recently found it in an old handbag, but I didn't see anything about the track listing. Even Universal said they didn't see the track listing in their archive. I wonder if Universal have copies of the masters themselves? Cherry Red claimed several years ago they attempted to license Trash Mad from London Records (when they were still owned by Warners) but were explicitly denied. I'm not sure if now being owned by Universal would change anything. Either way, thanks for posting the track listing. And yes, I read in an old Record Collector magazine that Strawberry was ready to go as the follow up single, and then it was shelved as well. I would expect that maybe a 12" mix and possible non-album B side would go along with that. This album has been one of life's great mysteries for 30 years, but it would be great if I could get it released as a 30 year anniversary edition. Hey, a boy can dream...
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby anfunny2003 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:39 am

Rubellan wrote:OK, wow! Where did you get that track listing? I did see the photo from Clare's twitter when she said she recently found it in an old handbag, but I didn't see anything about the track listing. Even Universal said they didn't see the track listing in their archive. I wonder if Universal have copies of the masters themselves? Cherry Red claimed several years ago they attempted to license Trash Mad from London Records (when they were still owned by Warners) but were explicitly denied. I'm not sure if now being owned by Universal would change anything. Either way, thanks for posting the track listing. And yes, I read in an old Record Collector magazine that Strawberry was ready to go as the follow up single, and then it was shelved as well. I would expect that maybe a 12" mix and possible non-album B side would go along with that. This album has been one of life's great mysteries for 30 years, but it would be great if I could get it released as a 30 year anniversary edition. Hey, a boy can dream...

Well, I've never heard the album and don't have a copy of it, but I've been asking people to try and get it out some how for years! So, you can be the latest... It was produced by Mark Kamins in NYC I believe. I said February 1988 but I was wrong, it was August. The track list is correct, but my lips are sealed as to where I got it from!
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:48 am

You can be assured that I will be trying. I plan to check in with Warners and Universal after the first of the year to see if there's any news on any of my requests, and perhaps I should offer the Trash Mad catalog info. Maybe it will help them research.
As far as Altered Images unreleased material, I would love to find this audio in the Sony archive and get it out. Bring Me Closer from Razzamatazz is the regular version of the song minus the rather dated sounding strings and saxophone, and I love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aerW00phQrY
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby anfunny2003 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:51 am

Rubellan wrote:You can be assured that I will be trying. I plan to check in with Warners and Universal after the first of the year to see if there's any news on any of my requests, and perhaps I should offer the Trash Mad catalog info. Maybe it will help them research.
As far as Altered Images unreleased material, I would love to find this audio in the Sony archive and get it out. Bring Me Closer from Razzamatazz is the regular version of the song minus the rather dated sounding strings and saxophone, and I love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aerW00phQrY

I sent you a PM... I think. Seems to be sitting in my outbox. Anyway, I basically asked for your email address so I can pass what might be useful info on to you...

Anyway, Clare's London Records catalogue is now owned by Because Music, a French based company. It was sold to them in August 2017 with the rest of the London catalogue.
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:55 pm

I've been researching this and it seems that London Records is split into two parts, the pre and post Polygram years, and the ownership of those parts of the catalog are different. If I'm reading correctly, the part sold to Because Music was more the 90's and recent material whereas Universal still controls the earlier material. It's about as clear as mud from what I'm reading so I will have to research further.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:12 pm

For what it's worth, I have the "Love Bomb" 12" and the "Giant" CD and I would not call any of those cuts Clare's finest moments. I'm not clamoring for "Trash Mad" as I never liked Mark Kamins production style in any case. Heck, even Zeus B. Held [and I am a huge fan of his production style] couldn't save the 12" remix for me. Good luck with attempting to wade through the London Records rights holder's mess. I've heard that it's pretty complicated. I would have thought that the consolidation of the labels would have made this all easier, but not so much.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Willbfree » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:36 pm

I'll love to hear sometime about the challenges and solutions you experience in getting such old videos into shape for release.

For example, hearing which were produced in NTSC and which ones were produced in PAL. Or, maybe they were produced in neither, but were instead shot and edited on film and only as a last step made into two distinct PAL and NTSC versions for each country (US and UK). I know from replacing the soundtracks on many a music video taken from YouTube that tons of vintage music videos are playing at either a sped-up or slowed-down rate, depending on their original source. Seems like there are a maddening number of factors and I love hearing about the sort of nitty gritty work involved in sorting it all out to get the best quality results.

I'm looking around for an article I'd once saved, about a team that was remastering music videos. They posted samples on Vimeo of their work, and I believe I read in an interview with them that their dream project was to be hired to remaster Kate Bush's music video. But I can't find it at the moment. The before and after samples were amazing - and they didn't have the original rushes to work with, rather they had to just clean up what they had. It was fascinating.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:46 am

Willbfree wrote:I'll love to hear sometime about the challenges and solutions you experience in getting such old videos into shape for release.

For example, hearing which were produced in NTSC and which ones were produced in PAL. Or, maybe they were produced in neither, but were instead shot and edited on film and only as a last step made into two distinct PAL and NTSC versions for each country (US and UK). I know from replacing the soundtracks on many a music video taken from YouTube that tons of vintage music videos are playing at either a sped-up or slowed-down rate, depending on their original source. Seems like there are a maddening number of factors and I love hearing about the sort of nitty gritty work involved in sorting it all out to get the best quality results.

I'm looking around for an article I'd once saved, about a team that was remastering music videos. They posted samples on Vimeo of their work, and I believe I read in an interview with them that their dream project was to be hired to remaster Kate Bush's music video. But I can't find it at the moment. The before and after samples were amazing - and they didn't have the original rushes to work with, rather they had to just clean up what they had. It was fascinating.

I'm not sure how much of that info I will be aware of. What I know so far is that some of the videos have already been transferred to digital (which are the ones that appear on iTunes), though those are only on iTunes in their resolution standard. The digital copies Sony has will likely be better looking. The one I know will need to be transferred to digital from tape (and will be additional cost to me) will be the Love To Stay promo. There is a clip on YouTube that I think has been mistaken for being the promo video (Clare in a football jersey in the trees) but it's possible that isn't the promo (which has been a holy grail of mine for decades). I may also need to pay for a transfer of See Those Eyes. But my hope is that Sony gets me the videos so I can sync and layer new soundtracks over them. I won't know until the project clears legal and I begin corresponding with A&R.
I have ideas for many of these CD+DVD collections but the cost is just outrageous, and likely why there are rarely similar packages out there.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:04 pm

If the artist really wanted to release it, they would. That's how the shelved Associates album got released and also how Alphaville came up with huge boxsets of unreleased material. Sadly when the artist, in this case Grogan, cares very little about their back catalogue you can pretty much bet there are slim chances of it being released. In fact there is probably more chance of Grogan loaning to a friend and then somehow it becomes available as a bootleg.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations