Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Help!: When In Rome, Erasure, Book Of Love, Stacey Q etc

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: Help!: When In Rome, Erasure, Book Of Love, Stacey Q etc

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:42 pm

PKPN wrote:If you use Exact Audio Copy to rip your CD-Rs, it can remove those 2-second pregaps for you if you choose to copy "without gaps". In fact this is the only scenario in which I would recommend using that feature. In the Tools menu there is also an option to remove them from an already-ripped image.

Not my rips (found on Soulseek):
Here is a bonus share for everyone (this one is my own rip):

Thanks for the effort PKPN! Unfortunately the Moonbeam one is my original upload from years ago - complete with the corrected speed version which I had included along with the original 4trks lol. The front scan is even my scan cleaned up in Photoshop. I'm gonna have to assume I likely won't be able to correct the silence gaps for this one - It took me years to track it down to begin with and I rarely see it for sale (at a reasonable price that is). Oh well, I'm happy just to have it as is.

The "Chains Of Love" ones are the same lengths as the one I uploaded years ago, but they are a bit louder than mine for some reason. So either I DIDN'T edit the gaps on mine or this other one is a copy of my upload with increased volume. Hmmmm.

Thanks for the MWH 7" share. I actually re-created that 7" edit for myself several years back. It's one of my favorite MWH songs.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:47 pm

Freshy wrote:here is When in Rome from my cd's http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/3smUc7aL/file.html

Is this actually taken from the "The Promise" 3" CD? When I open these and compare them to my rips there are several differences I can see right away upon visual inspection, such as on my rips, you can actually see and (albeit,barely) hear the original tape hiss before each track and during the fadeout. Just curious. Appreciate the effort!!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:04 pm

PKPN wrote:If you use Exact Audio Copy to rip your CD-Rs, it can remove those 2-second pregaps for you if you choose to copy "without gaps". In fact this is the only scenario in which I would recommend using that feature. In the Tools menu there is also an option to remove them from an already-ripped image.

I have always used Mac so I've used Peak audio editing software for years (they went out of business a couple years back so I still use it on an older Mac Mini) and for FLAC ripping I use XLD. But back when I originally edited the silence gaps for all these cool CD-Singles, it was the late 1990's and there wasn't much available for home computer audio extracting or editing. So I just shortened any gap I deemed too long at the time (I recall especially being annoyed by excessive gaps BEFORE the start of a song lol), then backed up the files on an external HD and burned my edited files onto CDR and sold the originals. I stopped doing that after about a year or so and thought it made more sense to just copy them as is.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:19 pm

Freshy wrote:Here is Men Without Hats - Pop Goes the World you requested. http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/ugvF3BiB/file.html
I am posting a vinyl version of Moonbeam. This is not my rip. Hopefully you can get the CD version someday.. http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/W6zpzveD/file.html

Thanks for sharing Book of Love.. I do love them.

Appreciate the share, but I think these tracks may have been pieced together from different sources, not directly from the "Pop Goes The World" CD-Single. The actual CD-Single's first track is the Single Edit which starts right out with the music. The Track 1 MP3 shared here is the album version (with the little girl announcing "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Pop Goes The Word by Men Without Hats") and it's volume is significantly louder than the other two tracks.

Thanks for the "Moonbeam" share but I actually have my own vinyl transfers of the "Moonbeam" 12"inch. I'm sure others will appreciate it though! I wish someone would finally put the full Extended Vocal Version (7:41) on CD!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby PKPN » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:23 am

Re: Moonbeam, my apologies. I have my audio player configured to show me if any track is not cut on a CD sector boundary (multiple of 588 samples), which helps me spot things which either did not come from CD or which have have been trimmed, and I did not notice before zipping up those files that they indeed are showing suspicious sizes, except for track 3.

I think we both made the same kinds of edits to the front cover art and that slow track. Great minds think alike. I must have eventually just replaced my copies with yours and forgot about it. I definitely remember cleaning up the front cover in Photoshop, but it was not that 1000x1000 file, more like one of the smaller images from Discogs. So again, sorry for the mistake.

Re: EAC, yeah, I should have prefaced that with "If you are using Windows..."

Re: "The Promise", that .zip of MP3s is highly dubious. They have durations suggesting proper untrimmed CD sources for the first two tracks, but not the 3rd... however the tags of track 2 do not quite match those of tracks 1 & 3. In fact I'm certain track 2 is from the Classic Alternatives vol. 1 CD; the duration and loudness match perfectly. Track 1 is suspiciously loud as well so I am betting it is not from the CD single either. Track 3 has a more authentic volume level and distortion-free hi-hats from start to finish, so seems legit from CD, but given the doubtful provenance of the other tracks it could be from another source.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby blaaah » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:35 am

Happy to rip The Promise 3" in whatever format needed, if someone can post the Eurythmics please.
blaaah
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:00 pm

blaaah wrote:Happy to rip The Promise 3" in whatever format needed, if someone can post the Eurythmics please.

If you can do that blaaah that would be great, thanks! A FLAC or WAV would be optimal if at all possible.

Here is a link to the Eurythmics WAVs eighties had shared - I figured I might as well just re-up those since they are untouched by human hands lol.

http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/8Dd91VDJ/file.html

Here's a 1000x1000 scan I made of the CD insert cover many years ago before selling my copy:

http://www97.zippyshare.com/v/Ga8Lo3mf/file.html

BTW, eighties, if you see this, I sent you a private msg regarding your Discogs collection...
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby blaaah » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:23 pm

thanks Fred and eighties, apologies hadnt visited for a few days. TEN CD 244 in WAV

https://www.sendspace.com/file/r7xmjo
blaaah
Personal Jesus

Postby Bellenger1981 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Thank you!
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:36 am

blaaah wrote:thanks Fred and eighties, apologies hadnt visited for a few days. TEN CD 244 in WAV

https://www.sendspace.com/file/r7xmjo

Most excellent blaaah! I sure do appreciate it! Thank you :D
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am

As another "thanks" to those who helped (or would have helped if they could have), I just uploaded my NEW rips (don't worry, I didn't edit any gaps this time!) of the "Chains Of Love" and "Bombers In The Sky" Promo CDs here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41990

No one seemed able to help me out with these two and I could not find any verifiable sources, so I just bit the bullet and re-bought them.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Bellenger1981 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:13 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:As another "thanks" to those who helped (or would have helped if they could have), I just uploaded my NEW rips (don't worry, I didn't edit any gaps this time!) of the "Chains Of Love" and "Bombers In The Sky" Promo CDs here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41990

No one seemed able to help me out with these two and I could not find any verifiable sources, so I just bit the bullet and re-bought them.

So kind of you to do that! Thank you for all your rare shares, Fred!!!
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:00 pm

For anyone who may have missed it, I just shared a new PERFECT rip of my "Chains Of Love" USA Promo CDS here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42001

After doing some reading, I decided to try ripping it on a different computer - my older Mac Mini - and I got a perfect rip! Life is good. :D
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby rymc730 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:25 pm

I'm also interested in the Stacey Q "Don't Make A Fool Of Yourself" (or any other SQ promo) tracks.
rymc730
Running Up That Hill

Previous

Return to Obscure 80s Central