Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Share: Erasure & Thompson Twins Promo CDs

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Share: Erasure & Thompson Twins Promo CDs

Postby Fred Taghon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:22 am

Last month I had asked if anyone had these (as well as several other) US Promo CD-Singles to share so I could correct the silence gaps I had edited down way back in the day before I knew any better (and of course, had subsequently sold). The response to help me out was far more than I anticipated, and I've now been able to restore nearly a dozen of the items I had asked for help with! No one seemed to have the "Chains Of Love" or "Bombers In The Sky" discs and I could not find any verifiable sources online so I re-bought them and am sharing my FLAC rips of them here as a thank you for helping me out - hopefully I'm helping others out by sharing them.

A note about the "Chains Of Love" rip: This disc was manufactured by Discovery Systems which apparently used subpar materials or methods (I don't know the specifics) which resulted in a large percentage of their Promos becoming difficult to "rip" or in some cases, simply unplayable, all these years later. I have two other discs made by this company which I cannot get a "100% accurate" rip of. Hence the Retry Sector Count "errors" shown in the "Chains Of Love" Log file (they are not technically errors, but the number of times the drive had to retry reading certain sectors to get reliable results - at least this is how I understand it after doing some research). The audio itself is perfectly fine and has no audible errors whatsoever. Unfortunately, after nearly 30yrs, this is probably as close to a "perfect rip" that we'll get. The Thompson Twins disc is a perfect rip btw. I've included my own scans of both discs.

Erasure - "Chains Of Love" 4trk US Promo CDS
http://www113.zippyshare.com/v/JPhaMLUg/file.html

Thompson Twins - "Bombers In The Sky" 4trk US Promo CDS
http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/N8sXA2v9/file.html

For extra proof of authenticity, I took a photo of both discs:
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Re: Share: Erasure & Thompson Twins Promo CDs

Postby negative1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:06 pm

Fred,

thank you for being so gracious with your shares.

I wish i had seen it sooner, because I had the cd promo, and the 12 inch (with 2 more instrumental mixes),
and the casette single.

i just haven't had the time or inclination to post things lately because of the low
involvement at times here from others. (not everyone is this way though).

glad you were able to find them.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Bellenger1981 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:09 pm

How kind!!! Thank you, Fred, for this share, especially in FLAC! :)
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:49 am

My pleasure, I enjoy being able to share here and as with anything in life, you can't expect to get unless you also give a little, right? :)

Awe thanks negative1, I'm sure you would have shared it had you seen my request, it's all good. I also had the 12" and 7" vinyl back in '88 and now have DJPaulT's excellent 12" promo rips with the rare dubs and radio edit with intro. Pettibone was at the top of his game on the "Chains" mixes. I remember hearing both 7" Remix and Pettibone's Radio mixes on the radio when it had first been released and it drove me nuts that I couldn't find the Pettibone version - it was obviously different than any mix that I had. This of course being before the internet and before Discogs.com and the NWO forum etc. lol - and before I knew what a "promo cd" was...
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby maccafan076 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks for all your great shares.
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Return to Obscure 80s Central