Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

King "Remixes & Rarities" 2 CD

King "Remixes & Rarities" 2 CD

Postby omar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:13 am

In June Cherry Red will release a 2CD King collection of all their 7"/12" remixes as well as some rarities. Many on cd for the first time. Scott were you involved with this release or not?

DISC 1

1. LOVE & PRIDE (BODY & SOUL MIX)
2. SOUL ON MY BOOTS (RUB A DUB MIX) *
3. AIN’T NO DOUBT *
4. FOOLS *
5. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (HEAVY TIMES MIX)
6. FISH (REPRISE) (LIVE) *
7. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (ENCORE) (LIVE) *
8. AND AS FOR MYSELF (LIVE)
9. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (SINGLE REMIX) *
10. ALONE WITHOUT YOU (SCORCHER MIX)
11. I KISSED THE SPIKEY FRIDGE (ROCK HARD MIX)
12. THE TASTE OF YOUR TEARS (BREAKER HEART MIX)
13. TORTURE (P. F. EXTENDED MIX)
14. GROOVIN’ WITH THE KINGS

DISC TWO

1. SOUL ON MY BOOTS (SINGLE VERSION)
2. LOVE & PRIDE (EXTENDED MIX) *
3. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (THE MAGNIFICENT 12″ MIX) *
4. ALONE WITHOUT YOU (U.S. EDIT) *
5. LOVE & PRIDE (DUB MIX) *
6. TORTURE (SINGLE VERSION) *
7. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (YOUTH MIX)
8. ALONE WITHOUT YOU (CLUB MIX) *
9. LOVE & PRIDE (LIVE VERSION) *
10. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (85 REASONS TO HOLD HANDS MIX) (CLEAN VERSION) *
11. ALONE WITHOUT YOU (STREET MIX) *
12. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (DUB MIX) *
13. ALONE WITHOUT YOU (INSTRU-NANA-MENTAL MIX) *
Last edited by omar on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omar
Room at the Top

Re: King "Remixes & Rarities" 2 CD

Postby Rubellan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:55 am

Nope, but considering I've officially cut ties with Sony, Cherry Red can have fun with any Sony owned title they like. I will get this and hope it's sourced properly, as it saves me any time an effort. My original King plan was to do a CD+DVD similar to the now shelved Altered Images package. I also wanted to do CD+DVD sets for Bow Wow Wow and Romeo Void. There you go Cherry Red, some ideas for you.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:05 am

Rubellan wrote:Nope, but considering I've officially cut ties with Sony, Cherry Red can have fun with any Sony owned title they like. I will get this and hope it's sourced properly, as it saves me any time an effort. My original King plan was to do a CD+DVD similar to the now shelved Altered Images package. I also wanted to do CD+DVD sets for Bow Wow Wow and Romeo Void. There you go Cherry Red, some ideas for you.

I have a feeling that it's the same people or team that did A Flock Of Seagulls 2cd set last year. According to Cherry Red's website the material of the King stuff was sourced from the original tapes. Let's hope we get some good stuff.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:20 am

omar wrote:
Rubellan wrote:Nope, but considering I've officially cut ties with Sony, Cherry Red can have fun with any Sony owned title they like. I will get this and hope it's sourced properly, as it saves me any time an effort. My original King plan was to do a CD+DVD similar to the now shelved Altered Images package. I also wanted to do CD+DVD sets for Bow Wow Wow and Romeo Void. There you go Cherry Red, some ideas for you.

I have a feeling that it's the same people or team that did A Flock Of Seagulls 2cd set last year. According to Cherry Red's website the material of the King stuff was sourced from the original tapes. Let's hope we get some good stuff.

Might want to take a second look. It states "Where available we have sourced the tracks from the original production master tapes." Knowing CR, that means if they aren't in the hall closet, they went with a previous CD issue or noisy vinyl.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:33 am

Rubellan wrote:
omar wrote:

Might want to take a second look. It states "Where available we have sourced the tracks from the original production master tapes." Knowing CR, that means if they aren't in the hall closet, they went with a previous CD issue or noisy vinyl.

You're probably right Scott. I think only a few of these remixes have appeared on cd before namely yours when you did Bittersweet for them a while back. We shall see. My faith in Cherry Red is patchy. Sometimes they've surprised us and put out good stuff. A lot of other times they haven't .
omar
Room at the Top

Postby crystal » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:09 am

Rubellan wrote: My original King plan was to do a CD+DVD similar to the now shelved Altered Images package. I also wanted to do CD+DVD sets for Bow Wow Wow and Romeo Void.

Which is really a shame, those are the kinds of sets I always hope for. I've mentioned this elsewhere (A Flock Of Seagulls), but it seems the +DVD option has been fallen out of favour with the labels. Don't have to mention that I would have bought all 4 of those releases + I am quite sure I wouldn't have been the only one. Can understand your position though, obviously.
crystal
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:41 am

crystal wrote:
Rubellan wrote: My original King plan was to do a CD+DVD similar to the now shelved Altered Images package. I also wanted to do CD+DVD sets for Bow Wow Wow and Romeo Void.

Which is really a shame, those are the kinds of sets I always hope for. I've mentioned this elsewhere (A Flock Of Seagulls), but it seems the +DVD option has been fallen out of favour with the labels. Don't have to mention that I would have bought all 4 of those releases + I am quite sure I wouldn't have been the only one. Can understand your position though, obviously.

Not to make matters worse but I forgot to mention that the Seagulls were planned as well. I wanted to do a +DVD with their Through The Looking Glass video compilation and the videos for Who's That Girl and Heartbeat Like A Drum added. I was also going to try to license the original debut single version of Talking from Bill Nelson for the CD portion. But the final straw with Sony came a couple weeks ago when I got an unappreciated attitude from the "sales" associate that had been nothing but a problem, having the nerve to give me an issue with not immediately approving a couple quotes for her when it took her over 7 months to provide them to me. Then when I did approve them only a few days later, she did her little non-responding crap and I sent a firm letter to the 3 multi-levels of Sales at Sony and essentially told them firmly yet professionally to piss off because of the awful conduct the entire year since first contact. CR stole most of my main ideas anyway and the only unreleased things left were the two Slow Children albums I had just received the quotes for. I would have liked to get those out there but it wasn't worth it to deal those "sales" people any further.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Bellenger1981 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:07 am

My faith in Cherry Red is patchy. Sometimes they've surprised us and put out good stuff. A lot of other times they haven't .

I agree. The Flock of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" package, with its excellent track selection, unfortunately, was remastered by Dave Turner. It sounds too loud, harsh, and brittle, at least to my ears, which completely ruined it for me. Now, if they get Nick Robbins to do the mastering for this King package, it could turn out to be an excellent collection, provided that original source tapes are used.

I am sad to read that your reissue projects will not be happening, Scott, but I totally understand your frustration!
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby humanracer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 pm

wow super excited.
Funny how I just posted about King a few weeks ago. Maybe someone from CR is reading the forums and getting suggestions. Good news anyway!
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:13 pm

now we just need a deluxe version of Paul King's solo album (Cherry Red if you are reading)!
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:36 am

Bellenger1981 wrote:
My faith in Cherry Red is patchy. Sometimes they've surprised us and put out good stuff. A lot of other times they haven't .

I agree. The Flock of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" package, with its excellent track selection, unfortunately, was remastered by Dave Turner. It sounds too loud, harsh, and brittle, at least to my ears, which completely ruined it for me. Now, if they get Nick Robbins to do the mastering for this King package, it could turn out to be an excellent collection, provided that original source tapes are used.

I am sad to read that your reissue projects will not be happening, Scott, but I totally understand your frustration!

I thought the AFOS was alright, loud but not as bad as some. Good for archive purposes.
CR also do great liner notes. It's another big reason for me to buy them. I don't own a CD player but will get these and get my brother to rip them for my archive.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:56 am

It is sadly missing I Kissed The Spikey Fridge Live (maybe no room or no master) but otherwise this and the 2 reissued albums should give you everything King released commercially
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:26 pm

They could've also included a couple of Paul King's solo singles from 1987. But this new King cd set looks highly impressive. Let's just hope that we're not disappointed with bad vinyl rips and unwanted edits.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Rubellan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Those samples are so low-fi I can't make out much from them, but I will say that when sampling the Alone Without You (Street Mix), I heard a very distorted S word. That could be indicative of a vinyl source, or it could just be the low quality samples. I would want to have a good quality rip of some of the suspect songs to really get a better idea.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations