Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: OMD "(Forever) Live And Die" full unedited 12" Mix!

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

SHARE: OMD "(Forever) Live And Die" full unedited 12" Mix!

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri May 11, 2018 11:13 am

All fans of the "(Forever) Live And Die" 12" Mix from OMD are aware of the strange edit that occurs at 2:34. I found a FLAC rip of the "bootleg" 2CD set "The Remix Collection" https://www.discogs.com/OMD-The-Remix-C ... se/1368333 from 2006 that appears to have an unedited version! There is approximately 13 seconds of audio that appears to have been cut out of the officially released mix. The "Shame" CDS https://www.discogs.com/Orchestral-Manœuvres-In-The-Dark-Shame/release/520640 and apparently all vinyl releases have the oddly edited mix.

While "The Remix Collection" seems to be a bootleg, the quality of the sound is for the most part amazing. The "(Forever) Live And Die" track in particular sounds absolutely flawless. So I took the 13 seconds of audio that had been edited out, EQ'd it to match the "Shame" CDS version, and edited it back into place. May not be that big a deal for most, but I think it flows much more naturally now.

So here is my "repaired" version in WAV format:

OMD "(Forever) Live And Die (12" Mix/Unedited)" 6:07
https://www.sendspace.com/file/k141in
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Re: SHARE: OMD "(Forever) Live And Die" full unedited 12" Mi

Postby eddie » Fri May 11, 2018 12:02 pm

thanks those of us who do care about such things know how long something like this can take I just this afternoon spent three hours editing 75 seconds of bits and pieces into a police gig to make it complete from two sources.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri May 11, 2018 1:20 pm

eddie wrote:thanks those of us who do care about such things know how long something like this can take I just this afternoon spent three hours editing 75 seconds of bits and pieces into a police gig to make it complete from two sources.

LOL You're welcome and yes it can get very time consuming. This one in particular wasn't too difficult. Plus, I enjoy the challenge and am happy to have (and share) a quality track when all is said and done :-)
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby crichert » Fri May 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Ditto on Eddie's comments - I appreciate how much time and effort goes into these edits, thanks Fred!
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby CharlburyF1 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:01 am

Excellent as usual many thanks, it's funny I've never noticed that awful edit before!
CharlburyF1
Take On Me

Postby bigarbel » Sat May 12, 2018 6:02 am

I recall spending quite some time years ago trying to edit the damn thing out and I lost patience. I could never listen to that mix again so thank you for making this :D

Admittedly, I still prefer the deleted Potoker Mix. That could be because I banished this version out of my consciousness for all these years.
bigarbel
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Sat May 12, 2018 9:38 am

bigarbel wrote:I recall spending quite some time years ago trying to edit the damn thing out and I lost patience. I could never listen to that mix again so thank you for making this :D

Admittedly, I still prefer the deleted Potoker Mix. That could be because I banished this version out of my consciousness for all these years.

Lol yes it's my favorite omd song and I cringe every time at that edit.

I hadn't heard the potoker mix until it was posted on burning the ground and that's a gorgeous mix! Hope they continue the remasters and include that on CD finally.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Sat May 12, 2018 9:48 am

My burning question regarding this mix is if all commercial releases of it have the weird edit, where did This supposed bootleg CD source the unedited version from? The 13 missing seconds is unique audio that can't just be cut and pasted from any other section of the mix. I thought that must be the case initially when I heard the bootleg version but when I attempted to delicate it with the "Shame" CDS I could not find that audio anywhere in the track which is when I resorted to using those 13 seconds from the bootleg version. And the bootleg shows no signs of being served from vinyl or anything other than master tapes. It's as clear and clean as the version on the "Shame" CDS. A real mystery.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Bellenger1981 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Wow! What a treat! Fred, thank you so much! I've been waiting for an unedited, fixed version, even though I figured that one did not exist. I just figured that it was a mistake by Tom Lord-Alge all this time. Even the "so8os" OMD release, which apparently uses master tapes, has this glitch. I wonder how this ever happened and how someone managed to get a glitch-free version. So awesome! Thank you for the WAV, too! You are awesome!
Last edited by Bellenger1981 on Sat May 12, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Bellenger1981 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:My burning question regarding this mix is if all commercial releases of it have the weird edit, where did This supposed bootleg CD source the unedited version from? The 13 missing seconds is unique audio that can't just be cut and pasted from any other section of the mix. I thought that must be the case initially when I heard the bootleg version but when I attempted to delicate it with the "Shame" CDS I could not find that audio anywhere in the track which is when I resorted to using those 13 seconds from the bootleg version. And the bootleg shows no signs of being served from vinyl or anything other than master tapes. It's as clear and clean as the version on the "Shame" CDS. A real mystery.

Indeed. A real mystery! I spent a long time trying to create my own "fixed" version many years ago but could never get it to sound just right. So glad that you were able to figure this one out!!! :D
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Bellenger1981 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:04 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:
bigarbel wrote:I recall spending quite some time years ago trying to edit the damn thing out and I lost patience. I could never listen to that mix again so thank you for making this :D

I hadn't heard the potoker mix until it was posted on burning the ground and that's a gorgeous mix! Hope they continue the remasters and include that on CD finally.

Fortunately, the Potoker mix appeared on CD in 2008 on a 4-disc '80s maxi-singles compilation out of France: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Maxi-Si ... se/1251282

Sounds like master tape quality to me...
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
"(Forever) Live and Die [John "Tokes" Potoker Extended Mix]" (5:46)
WAV format. Mastered by Arnaud Ralite.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/o8dd7s
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun May 13, 2018 5:39 am

Bellenger1981 wrote:
Fred Taghon wrote:

Fortunately, the Potoker mix appeared on CD in 2008 on a 4-disc '80s maxi-singles compilation out of France: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Maxi-Si ... se/1251282

Sounds like master tape quality to me...
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
"(Forever) Live and Die [John "Tokes" Potoker Extended Mix]" (5:46)
WAV format. Mastered by Arnaud Ralite.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/o8dd7s

Oh this is awesome, thanks Bellenger1981! I love finding out a rare track that I thought was not available on CD actually IS :-) And yes, it definitely sounds like it's from master tapes. You made my day with this!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Bellenger1981 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:21 am

Well, Fred, you made my day by posting your full, unedited mix. So, I was hoping to return the favor! :D
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby maccafan076 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks for your work on this. I have to find a link for that remix collection too
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue May 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Someone msgd me and was curious why I didn't just post the actual FLAC rip of the full-length mix instead of going through the extra work of adjusting EQ and volume etc to edit the missing 13 seconds into my own rip of the version from the "Shame" CDS. My explanation is essentially that the legitimacy of "The Remix Collection" is questionable. Ultimately, I'd rather have 13 seconds of questionably sourced music instead of 6 minutes. But that's just my preference lol. However, it's a perfectly reasonable question and it prompted me to download the track again and share that here as well...

"(Forever) Live And Die (12" Version)" taken from "The Remix Collection" 2CD set (2006) in FLAC:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/iwkztt

I also included the Log file from whomever originally ripped the CD's
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central