Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Sometimes A Great Notion comp question

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Sometimes A Great Notion comp question

Postby maccafan076 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:39 pm

If anyone has this I'm curious to know if there's still anything exclusive to this album. I figure most would have shown up elsewhere by now.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Sometim ... se/2130066
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Re: Sometimes A Great Notion comp question

Postby eddie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:48 am

Here's what i can tell you:

The original Uk cassette which i have next to me right now has 13 tracks not the 11 it states on discogs (so i know someone on here will be overjoyed that discogs is wrong and hasn't a clue).

The extra tracks are Paul Young 'i've been lonely for so long' and Bruce Foxton 'Trying to forget you'.

The Howard Jones track is likely on the box sets coming this Friday as 'front room demo' though i'm remembering that title off the top of my head so i might be wrong. I had it uploaded until recently but removed it on the grounds it will be officially released.

The compilation comes with very little information outside a basic track list nothing is labelled 'demo' etc. So it's really pretty much guesswork. The Peter Gabriel track is definitely a demo.

Most tracks do appear to be demos. Again off the top of my head Big Country is live.

Hopefully that alleviates your curiosity.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby maccafan076 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:27 am

That ticked all the boxes. Thanks Eddie
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby peterpyser » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:46 am

eddie wrote:Here's what i can tell you:

The original Uk cassette which i have next to me right now has 13 tracks not the 11 it states on discogs (so i know someone on here will be overjoyed that discogs is wrong and hasn't a clue).

The extra tracks are Paul Young 'i've been lonely for so long' and Bruce Foxton 'Trying to forget you'.

The Howard Jones track is likely on the box sets coming this Friday as 'front room demo' though i'm remembering that title off the top of my head so i might be wrong. I had it uploaded until recently but removed it on the grounds it will be officially released.

The compilation comes with very little information outside a basic track list nothing is labelled 'demo' etc. So it's really pretty much guesswork. The Peter Gabriel track is definitely a demo.

Most tracks do appear to be demos. Again off the top of my head Big Country is live.

Hopefully that alleviates your curiosity.

Are you sure the Peter Gabriel track is actually a demo? I have the cd linked above on discogs, and I Have The Touch is definitely what would later be called the '85 version, which was included on a handful of 12'' and cd-singles.
If it is really a demo, then the cd doesn't replicate the original release, and i would be very interested listening to it.
peterpyser
Switchin' to Glide

Postby eddie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:04 am

You may well be right I'm not familiar with every b side, mix etc as they don't interest me, even if i've downloaded compilations of those and i have a load they either get filed away without listening or listened to once and forgotten about - i'm only interested in the albums and concerts which is why i spent three hours downloading 70 gb of gigs this morning - as i said the original 1984 cassette comes with no info beyond a 13 song tracklist so once you know it's not the officially released version the rest is up to you as peter would say.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby maccafan076 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:08 am

I found a Peter Gabriel site that has the info. Its says it's the version that is also available on his Shaking the Tree comp.
maccafan076
The Jet Set

Postby peterpyser » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:02 am

maccafan076 wrote:I found a Peter Gabriel site that has the info. Its says it's the version that is also available on his Shaking the Tree comp.

Many thanks for your precious info.
peterpyser
Switchin' to Glide

Return to Obscure 80s Central