Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Need help finding a song

Need help finding a song

Postby Modey101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:35 pm

I heard a song one time only on KROQ and have never been able to find it.
Here are some details on what I can remember about it:

1. 1984-1985
2. Most likely a female singing at least part of the song if not the whole song.
3. Song was electronic with some sections having sampled vocal bits played as notes.
4. Song had a darker but danceable feel to it and actually reminded me a little bit of old school break dance music ( a little bit).
5. I'm pretty certain that Swedish Egil was DJ during the set list.
6. It's not likely any well known band or song since I heard it only once on KROQ.
7. Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung was played during the set list (for 1984/1985 date reference)
8. It's possible that this song could've been more of an underground dance track. It was in no way a chart topping type of song.

I wish I could tell you more, but I'm hoping that someone may know what song this is. The DJ actually said the name of the band and the song, so I may actually recognize it once I see the name again.

Thank you!
:D
Modey101
Running Up That Hill

Re: Need help finding a song

Postby swerve » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 am

Wild guesses here, both from 1984 although the darker and break dance description you list don't match these 2 exactly:

File 13 - Taste So Good

Digette - Fred From Jupiter
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby Modey101 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Swerve, thank you for the suggestions. File 13 was a good guess with the female vocal samples. But the song I'm thinking of is darker/more serious sounding. I've been scouring many sites, including Discogs and haven't found it. I'd think that Discogs would have some record of it but many of the mentions don't have any songs or videos on the internet to reference them. The song falls somewhere between SynthPop and Electro. It's almost like Cabaret Volatire meets Shannon meets Art of Noise. Ugh! I don't know if I'll ever find this damn song! LOL!
Regrardless, thank you for playing!
Last edited by Modey101 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modey101
Running Up That Hill

Postby rewind » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:25 am

Umo Vogue - Just My Love?
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Modey101 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:54 am

Rewind, thanks for the suggestion! Actually, that song is not the same one but we’re getting much closer now. It was so similar that I had to listen to it twice to be sure. I dig the song you suggested though which I’ve never heard before. Thank you!!!
Modey101
Running Up That Hill

Postby rewind » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:38 am

How about Section 25 "Looking From A Hilltop"?
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Modey101 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:40 pm

Rewind, that song from Section 25 sounds very similar to the song I'm looking for. The single version, no, but the remix may be what I heard so many years ago. Even if it's not the song, I totally dig it and Section 25 and Umo Vogue are both have a style and sound that is extremely similar to that of the song I'm searching for. Having been 30+ years ago and hearing it only once, I'm concerned that I may never know if what I'm hearing now is actually "the song" but I'm hopeful. I'm welcome to more suggestions though if anyone has some. Worst case is that I'll pick up some great new bands/songs I've never heard before. I don't recall KROQ ever playing Umo Vogue or Section 25. Maybe those were more popular in other cities/countries or primarily in the dance clubs.
Thank you!!!
Modey101
Running Up That Hill

Postby Freshy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Kind of a stretch but what about Malcolm McLaren - Eiffel Tower.
Freshy
Take On Me

Postby Modey101 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:48 pm

Freshy, nope to Mclaren. Thanks though! I'm fairly certain the band name was not a person's name. For some reason the following words or relation come to mind but I can't say that they were lyrics or just a mental relation to the song itself. I recall the female voice singing or referring to something like " travel/tunnel, movement/motion, light speed, speed/sound," but not necessarily those being the actual lyrics. The lyrics seemed to suggest some degree of seriousness or of warning or caution perhaps. The song made me picture night time travel. Or maybe I'm just losing my damn mind by now! After all, it's been 33 years since I heard the song just the one time. For some reason the song made me think or envision myself moving through some portal or traveling somewhere, but not necessarily some sort of outer space context. I've purposely avoided mentioning any lyrics or whatever on this blog so as to not cause further confusion or leading us further from the actual song. But at this point I may have to go there. Last but not least, I wasn't high or anything when I heard the song even though it may sound like I was. LOL!
Modey101
Running Up That Hill

Postby Modey101 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:02 am

At this point I think the only way to find the song is to find archived recordings of KROQ. Does anyone know where to find? I've seen some posts but the links are dead or the archives themselves are minimal date coverage.
Thanks!
Modey101
Running Up That Hill

Postby eighties » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:50 pm

Sounds like something from: Propaganda - 'A Secret Wish' LP.
Maybe P–Machinery.
All the best,
eighties
eighties
Personal Jesus

Postby Modey101 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Eighties, thanks for the suggestion. Propaganda is not the band either. I checked them a while earlier just to be sure but I'm very familiar with their music and knew it wasn't them. Secession, Section 25, and Umo Vogue are all fairly close to the sound I'm remembering.
Thanks!
Modey101
Running Up That Hill

Postby q89747 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:37 pm

Maybe try DJ Craig's list of KROQ's year-end countdown songs?
http://www.radiohitlist.com/KROQ/KROQ-main.htm

Also, any idea what time of year it was?
q89747
Personal Jesus

Postby rewind » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:19 am

You mentioned Secession...did you specifically check out "Fire Island"? It features female vocals prominently and has some sampled vocal bits...
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Psyklist » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Maybe?
The March Violets "Snake Dance" (1983)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9kjysnQQOs

And you were asking about KROQ airchecks... here are 37 KROQ airchecks from 1982 to 1991:
https://www.4shared.com/folder/VoK3TPtB/K_R_O_Q.html?detailView=1&sortAsc=true&sortsMode=NAME
Psyklist
Running Up That Hill

Next

Return to Help Me Identify This!