Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

heaven 17 play to win the virgin years

Re: heaven 17 play to win the virgin years

Postby blaaah » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm

There is loads of room on cd10 if they remove them all ;)
blaaah
Personal Jesus

Postby anfunny2003 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:18 pm

There's very little space to add anything, I'd say. Besides, if it's gone to retailers, it'll all be signed off now. The licensing is agreed upfront, so you'd essentially have to go back to the beginning of the process and renegotiate licenses for each additional track by adding to it at this stage. It's out in 6 weeks!

What has the 7" b-side version of We Live So Fast already been on? It's not in bold, so does that mean it's already somewhere else? Or not? I didn't even know it was different, given the runtime is the same and there's no remix credit. :?:
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby ZippY » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Like humanracer said:

'The extended instrumental of Let Me Go continues to have mythical status'.

The question is which version is going to be used?

The 7 inch (4:59min.) or the 12 inch (5:59min.)?!

We wait and we wonder :? ... (hoping for the longer one, ofcourse)

However, a quick look at the tracklist makes me rather satisfied and looking forward to it. :)
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:41 pm

BigManRestless wrote:Aren't the 7" 12" and album version of Fascist Groove Thang the same? Doesn't the 12" just have the BEF ident on it?

No How Men Are instrumentals...*sigh*.

No one, but no one, wants that 10th disc.

well, actually i want it.

i love the new 'let me go' trance and house versions.

i've NEVER liked the original temptation, but i like the 93 mixes, as it makes it more listenable,
and the fascist groove thang remakes are very smooth.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:58 pm

I think this release is really good. The CDs are crammed full and they put some thought into the tracklist, including variations from "Endless" etc.

Apart from space, they could argue the How Men Are digital extras never actually appeared on a contemporary release.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:37 pm

Can anyone confirm there is a 7:25 version of Skin? Someone from SDE claims to have it.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby df118 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 pm

humanracer wrote:Can anyone confirm there is a 7:25 version of Skin? Someone from SDE claims to have it.

I think it's from an errant entry on Discogs for the UK "This Is Mine" remix 12". I have never heard of it.
df118
Take On Me

Postby BigManRestless » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:51 am

anfunny2003 wrote:There's very little space to add anything, I'd say. Besides, if it's gone to retailers, it'll all be signed off now. The licensing is agreed upfront, so you'd essentially have to go back to the beginning of the process and renegotiate licenses for each additional track by adding to it at this stage. It's out in 6 weeks!

What has the 7" b-side version of We Live So Fast already been on? It's not in bold, so does that mean it's already somewhere else? Or not? I didn't even know it was different, given the runtime is the same and there's no remix credit. :?:

It's just a different mix not that radical, which is why the timing is the same as the album version. I was disappointed when I first heard the Luxury Gap and found it had been tweaked. I've been waiting for the single mix on CD for over 30 years. There's more difference in the two mixes than there are to the single / album version of Fascist Groove Thang.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby anfunny2003 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:45 am

Weren't the single and album both released April 8th 1983? So they released two different mixes of We Live So Fast on the same day?
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby moni » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:04 am

I fixed that entry on Discogs as there is no 7 minute version of Skin.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby BigManRestless » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:00 am

anfunny2003 wrote:Weren't the single and album both released April 8th 1983? So they released two different mixes of We Live So Fast on the same day?

I know it says the same day on Wikipedia but I don't think it is correct.
The official charts site says Temptation charted on April 16th and the Luxury Gap on May 7th.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:10 am

BigManRestless - Were you aware that the person in your avatar is a baby photo of current H17 keyboardist Berenice Scott? She is Robin Scott's daughter.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby humanracer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 am

Demon said only 2 tracks are vinyl sourced
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:47 pm

anfunny2003 wrote:
humanracer wrote:
PENTHOUSE & PAVEMENT:

(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang (Censored Version) *
Are Everything 7" 3.04 *

LUXURY GAP

We Live So Fast 3.50 [Special B-side Remix]
Let Me Go! (Extended Instrumental) 6.23
Temptation (Backing Track) *
Come Live With Me (Backing Track) *
Lady Ice & Mr Hex (remix)

HOW MEN ARE

Chase Runner 2.59
Flamedown 3.14 (slightly longer b side version)
(And That's No Lie) (album version edit from Higher & Higher compilation)
The Fuse 3.53 (slightly longer b side version)
Sunset Now (instrumental) 5:21
Sunset Now (Full Length Version) 5:15 *
The Fuse (Full Length Version) 5:26 *
Flamedown (Full Length Version) 4:01 *
Reputation (Full Length Version) 3:26 *

Instrumental demos:
1 Totgagol (The Skin I'm In).mp3
2 Jazz Song (Reputation).mp3
3 Blood Feud (Five Minutes To Midnight).mp3
4 Starwalk (Sunset Now).mp3
5 Strange Tales (Shame Is On The Rocks).mp3
6 Evereddi (This Is Mine).mp3
7 Commador (The Fuse).mp3
8 Itser (And That's No Lie).mp3
9 Recharge (Flamedown).mp3

ENDLESS/PLEASURE ONE/TEDDY BEAR, DUKE & PYSCHO

The Height of the Fighting (He-La-Hu) 3.06 [1986 remix of 1982 remix]
Heaven 17 Megamix 7.50 [edit]

Quoted above then is all those tracks which are not on the box set, or there abouts, for whatever reasons.

A few notes;

* = currently still exclusively available to download (8 tracks)

There is a 7" version of Fascist Groove Thing - it's 4:08, but the last 30 seconds or so are the BEF Ident, so it's more like 3:40.

Aren't Chase Runner (from Electric Dreams soundtrack) and Counterforce (B-side) the same track?

Where do the How Men Are instrumentals actually originate from? Are they an official release and if so, where can I see it? It's not on Discogs, that I can find?

Heaven 17 Megamix [Edit] literally just chops off the closing beats abruptly. Out of the Endless album sequence, it sounds crap.

"Chase Runner" from the "Electric Dreams" soundtrack is NOT the same as "Counterforce". It has no vocals and in my opinion seems like a more finished work. It actually shares more similarities to "Counterforce II" but all three tracks are distinctly different while obviously sharing the same underlying melody.

I remember seeing the "How Men Are" instrumentals being sold on Beatport.com around the time the 2006 remasters were released. There were in fact several more remastered tracks sold on Beatport (I can't vouch for any other digital outlets) that were not on the 2006 remastered releases of "Penthouse And Pavement" and "How Men Are". I purchased downloads of "Let's All Make A Bomb (New 12" Version)" 5:10 and "Song With No Name (New 12" Version)" 4:15 from "Penthouse And Pavement" (though these versions were actually released in 1983 on "The Luxury Gap" related singles and on the USA "The Luxury Gap" LP) and "Sunset Now (12" Instrumental)" 5:22, "Sunset Now (Full Length Album Version)" 5:15, "This Is Mine (Filmix)" 7:21 and "And That's No Lie (7" Mix)" 3:30 from "How Men Are" at the time, all in WAV format. I didn't bother with all the other "How Men Are" "Instrumentals" or "Full Length Album Versions" because at over $2ea (for WAV format) it was too costly.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:26 pm

humanracer wrote:I've email them to see if they can add the 9 tracks that are still available to purchase digitally:
(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang (Censored Version)
Are Everything 7"
Temptation (Backing Track)
Come Live With Me (Backing Track)
Sunset Now (Full Length Version)
The Fuse (Full Length Version)
Flamedown (Full Length Version)
Reputation (Full Length Version)
Sunset Now (12" instrumental)

Also the below should have been included:
Chase Runner - from Electric Dreams Soundtrack
The Height of the Fighting (He-La-Hu) - from the compilation "Higher and Higher", originally on Endless

If they included that it would be perfect. I am not surprised the How Men Are Instrumentals or Lady Ice remix was not included. They probably don't have them anymore in the archives.

Not bothered about the b side versions of Flamedown and The Fuse provided they had included the full length versions.

The extended instrumental of Let Me Go continues to have mythical status.

So really if you get this boxset AND the 2006 digital versions, you have nearly everything.

Is the 7" of We Live So Fast really different?

The 7" version of "We Live So Fast" was released as an A-Side 7" single (and on the B-side of the 12" promotional single) in the USA. Not sure if it was anywhere else, but I still have the copy I bought in 1983. It's by far my favorite version of the song. The main difference in structure compared to the LP version is the intro, the breakdowns immediately after the choruses, and the 7" version fades out whereas the LP version has a cold ending. The reverb/effects used in each mix are different as well, with the 7" version being a much dryer/tighter sounding mix.

I think several years ago someone here shared their rip of "We Live So Fast" from the "Greatest Hits" DVD (I have also shared my own vinyl rip of it here). Other than that, the 7" version has never appeared on any CD. Had it been included, I would have bought this set. Without it, there just isn't enough here that I don't already have (and am interested in) to justify buying it.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations