Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Howard Jones BBC 1983

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: Howard Jones BBC 1983

Postby humanracer » Thu May 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Howard is reissuing his first two albums via Cherry Red. He says there will be "unheard material"

I really hope they include the "Janice Long Sessions" as they feature some amazing versions of the songs especially Things Can Only Get Better. China Crisis were able to include radio sessions on their deluxes so I hope Howard can too.

The British Library also has a dub version of side 2 of Human's Lib, used for Capital Radio promos. That would be great to hear.

I thought the remasters were a bit loud but would still buy them for bonus content.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sat May 26, 2018 3:27 am

can't see anything to stop the janice long sessions but that's easy to say when you already have em. There's definitely another, more finished demo of what is love because i have that as well it was played on radio before new song came out. Not a fan of what is generally labelled 'dub' so for me personally that could stay where it is. He did sell tapes at his gigs pre-humans lib (on the china crisis tour) but i think howards honest enough not to dress those up as unheard. Then there's the kid jensen session from early 1983 and the live discs that were sent out through the fan club and the live bonus disc that came with what is love 12 inch and the live version of hide and seek on the 10 inch single.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sat May 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Glasgow 84 pre FM now on DIME
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sat May 26, 2018 11:31 pm

humanracer wrote:Glasgow 84 pre FM now on DIME

i've had it and a paul young one for a few weeks. both are really great.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41046&p=375292#p375292
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Thu May 31, 2018 3:34 am

got the style council gig from the day after as well yesterday. Seems like it was a good week in Glasgow.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Howard just tweeted:

"Today Attended mastering session for Hunans Lib and Dream into Action boxsets at Fluid Mastering Some really cool never heard pieces. Especially excited about BBC sessions Of New Song and HLib and Don’t put these Curses on me."

I guess that means the Janice Long sessions will be on there. Maybe he added them after I gave him a heads up after hearing them.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby moni » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:39 pm

So in theory if these are being remastered yet again that means that he wasn't happy with his chum Robbie Bronnimann remasters from 2010.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby eddie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:03 am

moni wrote:So in theory if these are being remastered yet again that means that he wasn't happy with his chum Robbie Bronnimann remasters from 2010.

Technology has moved on so maybe he's been convinced that it's worth doing again and worth doing properly. There's also the HD audio market to cater for (at least both of them who claim to be able to hear a difference). But a cd or two of sessions, alternates, outtakes will make it worthwhile. A cd of remixes, edits etc would be a huge letdown. And it's nice to think that I might have helped point him in the right direction. I always knew there was a point in filling blank tapes up to the end in the 80's and 90's. It's amazing what you find there when you go back. If this was hollywood we'd get an executive producers credit at the very least.

Now Howard about all these live bootlegs.......
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:19 am

humanracer wrote:Howard just tweeted:

"Today Attended mastering session for Hunans Lib and Dream into Action boxsets at Fluid Mastering Some really cool never heard pieces. Especially excited about BBC sessions Of New Song and HLib and Don’t put these Curses on me."

I guess that means the Janice Long sessions will be on there. Maybe he added them after I gave him a heads up after hearing them.

Not our only success with the BBC. I think they might give us our own show soon.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:18 am

[quote="eddie
Not our only success with the BBC. I think they might give us our own show soon.[/quote]

Just spoke to them again, away we go with another :D :D :D
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:50 am

Spudboy wrote:Thanks for this!!!
Is there a tracklisting available? I can't find much info on the Kid Jensen session...

Been redoing some of this old material on better equipment and in wav and having learned a lot myself over the last couple of years so I collected all the master tapes together some of which have been recently released officially SO FOR INFO ONLY

Howard Jones At the BBC 1983-1985

ONE

Paris Theatre, London 3 10 1983 fm master

1 new song
2 conditioning
3 dreams of a better place
4 what is love
5 equality
6 don't always look at the rain

7 radio one interview with peter powell 14 3 1984

8 radio one interview with simon bates 15 5 1985

TWO

David Jensen session 1983

1 new song
2 don't put these curses on me
3 humans lib
4 natural

5 saturday superstore 1 10 1983

6 don't always look at the rain solo piano saturday live 3 3 1984

7 interview with david jensen 27 2 1984

8 What is love early version broadcast in 1983

THREE

1 Janice Long Interview 1984

JANICE LONG SESSION 1984

2 Look Mama

3 No one is to blame

4 things can only get better

5 dream into action

6 Punk To present interviews 1985
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 am

Interesting that the full Janice Long session not on super deluxe. BBC must have lost the masters.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:03 am

Also Aylesbury and Royal Albert Hall were BBC In Concert shows. My copy of RAH plays too fast.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 am

humanracer wrote:Interesting that the full Janice Long session not on super deluxe. BBC must have lost the masters.

Difficult to know which is the rarest that janice long session or the kim wilde bruno brookes session and jingles.
eddie
The Jet Set

Previous

Return to Obscure 80s Central